turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Endless loop while trying to download state

I purchased 2019 Deluxe through Amazon today. Everything else works fine and I have already submitted my Federal returns but when I try to download my one free state (Missouri) it will not advance.

Here's exactly what happens every time I try:

-State taxes tab shows Missouri.

-I click "Start".

-Box pops up "Lets download and install your states. Here's how it works... etc"

-I click "OK"

-Box pops up "Getting your state"...icon spins for a couple seconds

-Another box pops up "Your Software is up to date"

-I click "OK"

Then nothing, right back to "Your State Returns" tab with the option to start Missouri I click Missouri and it goes right back through the above process.

Please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

This is a known issue with a workaround. Here is the article from Turbo Tax Help.

State Loop indicates TurboTax is "up to date" after updating but won't allow you to Install your state return

Resolution

:

1. Download the TTStateCleanup.zip file and save it to your Desktop or other easy-to-find location.
  1. Double click to open the zip folder
  2. Extract the contents of the folder to your desktop and open the extracted folder.
  3. Right-click the downloaded file (TTCleanStates.exe) and select Run as Administrator.
  4. Select your version  (Personal or Business)
  5. select your state from the drop-down menu and choose Remove (if you're having problems with multiple states, choose  Remove all States).
  6. Once the tool finishes doing its thing, close it and reopen TurboTax.
  7. Follow the prompts to update TurboTax at the prompt – it should start downloading your state.
  8. If not, click the State Taxes tab and download it from there.
  9. If the fix-it fails, do this instead:
  10. Uninstall TurboTax.
  11. Double-click the CD or download file to start the reinstallation process with the following steps:
  12. Click Next on the Welcome Screen.
  13. Click I Agree on the License Agreement.
  14. On the next screen, where you see the install location, select Browse and change it to the location where TurboTax was originally installed. Normally, it's something like C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 20XX.
  15. Click Install after changing the location.
  16. Reopen TurboTax after installation and proceed to your state taxes.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue you're experiencing in TurboTax Please use the article below to restart your computer into Selective Startup and run the tool again.  

Related Information:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

66 Replies
choo
Returning Member

I'm having the same issue also purchased from Amazon, but for New York.

DonnaLO
Expert Alumni

Here is some troubleshooting information that may be helpful to you in resolving this issue:

Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows

Troubleshooting problems with Windows Installer and the Microsoft .NET Framework

If you continue to have problems please contact Technical Support using this form: 

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/ 

mjw2

yep, Arizona as well

D Me
Level 2

The same is happening for me today, ALTHOUGH, I used this TT a few days ago and the State that I downloaded (GA) worked just fine and I completed everything short of doing the actual eFile.  Now I can't get past the State (continuous loop) so I cannot do the eFile to finish my 2019 taxes.  It's not a matter of my "system requirements" or anything else suggested by TT "Help", because it worked a few days ago!

I have been getting the same thing trying to get my Nebraska download. Bought download off of Amazon, PC version. HELP!

choo
Returning Member

I'd recommend calling TurboTax. I called them and the rep was able to manually send me the state file to add into the program.

I called TT tech support and talked to them for about an hour. They ended up sending me a new download for the whole Deluxe program, BUT, it STILL didn't resolve the issue. I was surprised. I don't know what is going on!

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Some forms are not available at this time, but the good news is they will be very soon. Please see this FAQ below and select your state. If they are not available, it will give you a date on when it is expected to be open. I know Nebraska stated February 7th, 2020. It depends on the state form you are looking for and need at this time. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/forms/help/state-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-business/00...

The only forms not available according to your link are business related. I can't even get personal Missouri files to download. 

Exxec
Returning Member

Same issue here, I've attempted a clean uninstall and reinstall and different hard drives even. 

I've also bought from Amazon and and also having trouble with Missouri state. 

Per https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_mo_windows_individual.html Missouri state Specifically personal return forms are available as no dates are mentioned previously it was 1/30/2020. At this point I'm concerned about hitting a install limit. 

I'm also having the same issues with IL.  Goes back to "start state" loop after it checks for updates.  Gets irritating.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I've tried manually downloading state.  Nothing works.  This is with Home & Business 2019 (Windows) download through the TurboTax site.

whr

Same for SC. Waited my 1+ hours for the call back, only have the call drop on the transfer from the robot to the rep. 

This does nothing to fix this problem. Please provide an actual solution. 

Two weeks and they still haven't fixed this. I definitely wont be buying TurboTax again, lesson learned.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies