turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax is not calculating my excess social security tax paid for two different companies as a tax credit on my 1040. How do I override and manually update 1040?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbotax is not calculating my excess social security tax paid for two different companies as a tax credit on my 1040. How do I override and manually update 1040?

Ran the scenario of one employer EIN on two separate W-2's using 100K and 50K wages.  Excess SS taxes are $1,060.  Selected Yes, these are all different employers.  The screen message indicates the excess will be treated as a tax withholding.  The excess SS should be entered on Schedule 3 Line 11.  It is not, so the excess is never entered on the form 1040 Line 18d.  Looks like a program bug.

View solution in original post

40 Replies

You don't.

1)  Post here what you have in box 3 & 4 on each W-2 and we'll test it to see what's happening.

2)  If you are mrried, double check exactly who is listed as the person the W-2 is listed for.  If one was accidentally assigned to your spouse, then of course it wouldn't calculate right.

3) You don't have any SE (self-employment) income on a 1099-MISC...correct? 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I paid excess tax and the system acknowledges that I did but it isn't reflecting the credit I am due for the overpayment on the 1040. Therefore I need to know how to override to reflect. Thanks for your help!

You can't override anything in the Online software..... And an override would not allow you to e-file either.

.........….You still have not indicated what your values are for boxes 3&4 of each W-2. 

IF there is an error in the calculation, we Need To Know what your numbers are....so that IF there is an error, we can get it fixed for thousands of other people too.

The credit should show up on line 18d of your form 1040...you have looked there...correct ?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I do not feel comfortable posting my personal information in an online community forum. I have done the math to validate and do in fact qualify for a credit. I also double checked my 1040 to see if it is reflected in schedule 3, part 2, 11 and it is not. I don't know why you need my personal information to validate what I am saying. Please advise.

Just to confirm, your total for box 4's added together is greater than   8239.80 ?

Also, EDIT each W-2 to make sure the box 4 value was put in properly in each W-2

IF you are uncomfortable with posting those numbers, call Customer Support on the phone. 

They can get a diagnostic file from you that wipes all personal info, but leaves the $$ values, and they can investigate further  (I hope they are open weekends now):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Yes, the total for box 4 added together is great than $8239.80 and I worked for multiple companies (I recognize the fix is different if you worked for one but that doesn't apply to my case). I called customer support yesterday and they weren't able to help me. I don't know what to do to fix the system to get the credit. I was hoping I can do an override but from what you are saying I can't. I'm not sure calling customer support again will get me anymore answers but I will try.

Maybe you'll get someone more knowledgeable this time...

Another Possible "fix" is to delete both W-2 forms entirely, and then enter them again.  Make sure you enter them manually, and be careful to NOT hit a comma when you put in the cents  (that destroys a number) to eliminate the possibility that  there was some strange entry or hidden character in one of the fields that screwed things up.  

I tested the software with two W-2 forms form two employers.  One at 100,000 income and another at 50,000, and the proper credit was calculated and transferred to the tax forms exactly as they should have 

I have tried deleted both and re-entering. I have multiple W-2s from the same EIN. Since the wages were paid by separately operated subsidiaries of a common parent company, it is still treated as different employers. I click the "Yes, these are from different employers." options and it still isn't reflecting the credit. Are you able to test the software with two W-2 forms with the same EIN and see if it will work for you? I really appreciate your help!

dmertz
Level 15

Examine Form 8690 to see the calculation of the amount (line 21) that is to be included in on Schedule 3 line 11 and on Form 1040 line 18d.  Is the amount on Form 8690 line 21 not appearing on Form 1040 line 18d?  (With online TurboTax you'll need to download the pdf of your tax return to see this form.)

Are you subject to Net Investment Tax on Form 8960 and failing to factor that into you own calculations?

Are you subject to additional Medicare tax on Form 8959 and failing to factor that into you own calculations?

I am not subject to either of the taxes. My social security tax overpayment is not reflecting anywhere on my 1040.

Ran the scenario of one employer EIN on two separate W-2's using 100K and 50K wages.  Excess SS taxes are $1,060.  Selected Yes, these are all different employers.  The screen message indicates the excess will be treated as a tax withholding.  The excess SS should be entered on Schedule 3 Line 11.  It is not, so the excess is never entered on the form 1040 Line 18d.  Looks like a program bug.

Thank you for checking and confirming DoninGA. How can the program bug be fixed so I can submit?

We can report this to the TurboTax Moderators of the forum.  They pass this to the program developers for action.  When the bug is fixed will not be known until we receive feedback from the Moderators.  Could be one to several weeks.

dmertz
Level 15

Perhaps this is only occurring in online TurboTax.  I don't get the Yes/No question with the CD/download version of TurboTax unless I enter two Forms W-2 indicating the same EIN.  However, as you indicated, TurboTax seems to ignore the answer to the Yes/No question.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies