Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax is not calculating my excess social security tax paid for two different companies as a tax credit on my 1040. How do I override and manually update 1040?

has this been fixed yet???? I can't submit my taxes until this bug has been reviewed as it is not accounting for excess social security from multiple employers.

Turbotax is not calculating my excess social security tax paid for two different companies as a tax credit on my 1040. How do I override and manually update 1040?

@needs_help wrote:

has this been fixed yet???? I can't submit my taxes until this bug has been reviewed as it is not accounting for excess social security from multiple employers.

Do all of your employers have different EIN's ?

Yes my employers have different EINs, but when I insert the W2's, the excess social security does not come up

I was able to see that this does fill out the form in Schedule 3 Line 11 successfully....but it does not add the value to the refund for federal...when does that take place?

TurboTax does not support this calculation. I had same issue and was told by TurboTax they don’t support for companies that have same EIN. I had to manually submit. 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@needs_help

Are you saying that you see the value in line 11 Schedule 3, but that you don't see the value from line 14 Sch 3 carry over to line 18d Form 1040?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BillM223
Expert Alumni

@kristen-kmiec

TurboTax does support this calculation when the two EINs are different.

The issue discussed earlier in this thread was that the taxpayer had two W-2s with the same EIN. TurboTax no longer supports the workaround to force the entry on line 11 Schedule 3, because the IRS has made it clear that they will no longer allow the repayment of the excess tax on the 1040 in cases when the two W-2s appear to be from the same employer.

Bargo2020

Bill 

I am running into same issue. When I enter the two W-2's, clearly excess Social Security was withheld. It was by the same employee but two subsidiaries. 

the message in Turbo Tax said, congratulations, you'll get refund for excess social security, but then I see in Schedule 3, Line 11, there was no value for excess social security.

I spent ~ 1 hr with Heater from Help Line and it was totally useless. We deleted the W-2's re-entered and no use.

She said I need to contact my employer to get refund, seriously??

Are you suggesting this is not going to work in Turbo Tax?

Is it going to work with any software?

Thanks

Bargo

Bargo2020

By the way I have two different EIN's that I used for entry.

tmedhin

My excess of social security withheld is derived from two W2s:

1.  From one company withheld is 6065.09

2.  From the 2nd company withheld is 3870.98

Their sum, 9,936.07, is more than 8537.40, which is allowed as a maximum for 2020 tax return ss withheld.

So, 9936.07-8537.40 = 1338.67.

That means 1338.67 must be reflected on my tax return 2020.

Thanks

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

You will receive the Excess Social Security as part of your refund when you file your 2020 tax return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies