Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

monicasorenson
Returning Member

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

Yes, supposedly deposited into"my account" on 2/9/22... which it wasn't.

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

@ monicasorenson wrote:

Yes, I paid my state taxes with my federal refund.

That's not possible.  You cannot pay state taxes out of a Federal refund.   If you paid anything out of the Federal refund, it would have been your TurboTax product fees.   How did you pay your TurboTax product fees?

FAQ:  Can I pay my state taxes from my Federal refund?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/can-i-pay-my-state-taxes-from-my-federal-refund/0...

monicasorenson
Returning Member

Yes, the product fees. Sorry. 

@ monicasorenson wrote:

Yes, the product fees. Sorry. 

If you chose to pay any product fees out of your Federal refund, the funds go first from the IRS to a temporary bank account at an intermediary bank where the fees are subtracted.   Then that intermediary bank sends the rest to your bank account or card.  The company that handles that is called SBTPG (Santa Barbara Tax Products Group.)

If you're sure the IRS has released and sent your funds (check with the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool), you can log in to your temporary account at SBTPG to see the status of your funds.

To log in, choose the "For taxpayers" portal at:
https://www.sbtpg.com/

SBTPG has a phone contact page at the following link. It also shows their business hours.  Even when they are closed, you may be able to get automated info, or you can log in as above.

https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/230084587-Contact-Information

raysoriv

It changed my routing number to some routing number I have never seen.  I only have one checking account so it is possible.

@ raysoriv wrote:

It changed my routing number to some routing number I have never seen.  I only have one checking account so it is possible.

Is your refund supposed to ultimately go into your bank checking account or a prepaid debit card such as the Credit Karma MoneySpend Card offer?  A prepaid debit card would have a different routing number and account number.   

Or do you have a brokerage account that you could have chosen for the deposit?

Here's something else that might explain routing and account numbers you don't recognize:

Did you have any TurboTax fees that you chose to pay out of your Federal refund?  If so, your funds go from the IRS to a temporary bank account set up at an intermediary bank.   The intermediary bank deducts the fees, then sends the rest to your bank (or card) in a second direct deposit.   If you used that service to pay your TurboTax fees, we can tell you more about how to check on it at the level of the intermediary company (SBTPG) that administers that.

Has the IRS released and sent your refund yet?  You can check here:

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Jenykell

This happened to me.  I was in a total panic and couldn't find where the money went, and then got a card in the mail from Credit Karma.  When I logged in, there was my refund.  I don't remember choosing this option, and even remember entering my checking/routing account numbers, so not sure how it happened.  Seems odd.  Was there an incentive for doing it this way that I am forgetting about?  @aschulman I could see myself doing that if I was offered like "get $X when you spend $100" or something similar like some banks offer you sometimes to open a new account.  Anyone know?  I was searching to see if I could find something on it here...

The idea with the credit karma option is that you receive your refund quicker. Maybe you did select that option.

I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE!! Checked where my return is and IRS sent it last week in checking the status but It was not deposited to my bank. My Turbotax forms also list a account/routing number I have never seen and are associated with a "MVB bank"- this feels like a scam. 

Who do we call or contact to resolve this?

@ ErinMEDFEE wrote:

I AM HAVING THE SAME ISSUE!! Checked where my return is and IRS sent it last week in checking the status but It was not deposited to my bank. My Turbotax forms also list a account/routing number I have never seen and are associated with a "MVB bank"- this feels like a scam. 

Who do we call or contact to resolve this?

MVB Bank happens to be the bank that administers the Credit Karma Money Spend account and Credit Karma Visa Debit Card.   Did you choose to get your refund on a Credit Karma Visa debit card?   

Or did you apply for and received a Refund Advance that requires a Credit Karma Money Spend account and such a card?

See this FAQ:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/getting-to-know-the-turbo-prepaid-visa-card/00/25569

I am going through the same thing right now. I feel like an absolute crazy person! 

raysoriv

It was actually TT's account # that was re-routed to my direct deposit account.  Everything ended up working out just fine.  Hope that helps.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

This would be best handled by phone, Please follow the instructions here to contact us by phone. @stressedbagel

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Trappick

It took me 2 days off stressing but after noticing the same thing in my return i went and look at Credit Karma and that’s where they are depositing my money…. They need too be more clear about this.. it’s gonna cause a lot of panic in people who need that money…

Same thing happened to me did you have any luck resolving the situation any information would be greatly appreciated

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies