Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

I was told my Refund of $3508 was sent to my Bank, but my Bank {CHASE} has no deposit of that amount.

What do I do next?

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

Check your brokerage account and Credit Karma

@fp020152 wrote:

I was told my Refund of $3508 was sent to my Bank, but my Bank {CHASE} has no deposit of that amount.

What do I do next?

How long has it been since the IRS sent the funds?  The IRS says to allow up to 5 days due to variations in bank processing times.    If it's been that long, have you spoken to someone at your bank to see if they show any evidence of an incoming deposit that they refused?

There also may be another link in the chain that you can check in the meantime if you used the following service:

Did you have any TurboTax fees that you chose to pay out of the Federal refund?  If so, the funds go first from the IRS to a temporary account at an intermediary bank where the fees are subtracted.   Then that intermediary bank sends the rest of the funds on to your bank (or card.)   The company that handles that is SBTPG (aka TPG or Tax Products Group.)  If you used that method to pay fees, you can log into the refund lookup tool at the SBTPG website to check on the refund.

To use their tool, choose the "For taxpayers" portal at:
https://www.sbtpg.com/

SBTPG also has a phone contact page at the following link. It also shows their business hours.  Even when they are closed, you may be able to get automated info, or you can log in as above.

https://help.sbtpg.com/hc/en-us/articles/230084587-Contact-Information

chestnuitee
Returning Member

Same issue! 

I found routing and account number that don't belong to me at all. 

Checked the routing number, it's from a Illinois Chase bank, and the account number doesn't exists at all. 

I think it's some issue with Credit Karma - I clicked open an account when filing, but in the middle I realized it requires me to open a new debit account so I didn't finish but left that page. I guess then Turbo Tax just put in some random numbers on to there. 

Does anyone has solution for this?

@ chestnuitee wrote:

Same issue! 

I found routing and account number that don't belong to me at all. 

Checked the routing number, it's from a Illinois Chase bank, and the account number doesn't exists at all. 

I think it's some issue with Credit Karma - I clicked open an account when filing, but in the middle I realized it requires me to open a new debit account so I didn't finish but left that page. I guess then Turbo Tax just put in some random numbers on to there. 

Does anyone has solution for this?

Credit Karma would use a bank called MVB Bank for it's Money Spend account.  But it sounds like you avoided the Credit Karma route.  So one possibility for a refund deposit to a Chase account is if you have a brokerage account.    Do you have such an account?

Many brokerages use a third-party bank for handling purposes to receive funds for direct deposits to one's cash account at the brokerage.   If you have ever imported info from a brokerage into TurboTax, or if you used a brokerage account previously to receive a refund, then TurboTax may have entered your brokerage account's bank numbers of your cash account.  

Check in your brokerage account or phone your broker to see if your direct deposit ended up going to your broker's underlying bank for cash accounts.   In this user forum we have seen some other users track down a missing deposit and found out it was received into a Chase account related to their brokerage account.

Edz99

Wow.  Thank you for posting this.  I finally found where my money went to.  I suggest you do not link any accounts with Turbo Tax they screw it up.

It’s you’re saying that I filed when I decided to use Turbo Tax last year so excuse me it was 2021 my fault of last May and I still haven’t received a penny of my tax return but yet you took out 70 some dollars without me getting my state or local how are you able to do that is my state and local and I never received any of my tax refund how were you able to get that money where did you get it from !!!!?????????  I got on here and he walked me through everything he told me no he never even asked for my robbing your account number and that’s half my fault because it was new to me doing it this way I usually have a lady that does it and I should’ve just stuck to that but they said even dummies and do Turbo Tax because he walks right through it and it’s self-explanatory I did nothing wrong after I was all done I did realize oh **bleep** how am I gonna get this money I never gave them a routing number or account number so I can call trying to contact you to ask you could you please help me with that one of your employees said it would come through karma.com why would why would come. Have anything to do with my taxes I’m just confused as to what you’re not getting again my return was a roundabout and this is federal not state my federal is $6780 and my state was $1940 give or take a few dollars I know it’s been a whole year so I just know they were around that very close and they still haven’t even heard a word and now  And now at 9 o’clock you’re contacting me to figure out what’s going on when I tried so hard to get a hold of you for a year to get my tax return like I said I didn’t mean to say 2020 that was my fault 2021 last year on May 21 is when I filed since I didn’t give a account number or a routing number I assumed it was going to come in the mail once again that was my fault I should’ve asked the Tax guy but I just assumed he knew what he was doing you know it must be an e-file or since I’m doing it this way I’m gonna get a check in the mail I have never received a sense. 

I’m sorry I didn’t mean 2020 !! Last year, 2021 May 21 he did them right over the cell like this !!! We never said about how I’d get my money!! I assumed  it would be mailed!! Being a full year now n still no return !!! I sure could use it too

I had the same issue.  It turns out that while I was filing my taxes, I accidentally opted to create a Credit Karma account and deposit my money into that rather than directly into my checking account.  You can imagine my surprise when the IRS status checker told me that my refund had been sent, but no such refund existed on my bank statement.  After talking to a turbotax agent, I found out that those autofilled account and routing numbers were for Credit Karma, meaning that the IRS sent my refund to Credit Karma.  Annoying.  Anyways, I logged onto my Credit Karma account, found my money, and am now waiting 1-3 business days for the funds to transfer to my checking account.  Hope this helps.

Same exact thing happened to me. I know for a fact I put in my correct account and routing number because I checked it about 5 times when entering it and turbo tax just changed both numbers to random numbers I've never seen in my life and the IRS says they deposited my return to those random account and routing numbers that turbo tax scrambled after the fact. And I think it's pretty obvious turbo tax is to blame and have an error in their technology if this happened to alot of people. If turbo tax thinks its beyond the realm of possibility that they can get hacked this day in age then that just goes to show the amount of attention they are putting towards their cyber security and clearly they are arrogantly wrong and should probably expect another class action lawsuits if they aren't willing to look into their errors that have robbed many hardworking citizens of their tax returns. I won't be surprised to hear about it sooner or later

@Leelandkarpf Did you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund?   If you did, then the routing number and account number used by the IRS was the banking information for the third party bank that receives your refund from the IRS and then removes your TT fees and send you the rest.   That third party bank has YOUR account and routing number for the direct deposit.   

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/who-provides-pay-with-my-refund/00/26410

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

What is Refund Processing Service?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Check your Credit Karma account.

Turbo Tax sent my 1021 SR filling to the IRS with a routing number of [removed] , which is a wrong. number.  My routing numbers last four digit is [removed].  I thought Turbo Tax would stand with me to correct any mis-handling of my fillings by them...  ???  Why is there so much trouble is correcting my  filling when it only takes TT to correct the error they made ......  ??  I know I would never use TT again if they won't do what's right and help me get my return ..

Frank 

did you specify that your Turbotax fees were to be taken out of your tax refund?  if so the routing and account numbers are changed so the refund is sent to a third-party bank where it splits the refund between the fees that are sent to Tutbotax and the rest of the refund that is sent to you using the original routing and account number. how long has it been since the return was accepted because the IRS must fully process the return before the refund is sent? 

@fp020152 - 

curious, how do you know the routing number is incorrect? 

1)is it correct on your tax return? if so, then you probably requested your fees be deducted from your refund. It is normal for a different set of banking numbers to be used in the interim - that is how the fees are deducted. 

2) if is incorrect on your tax return? did you check it before filing? 

Once a tax return is submitted, it's the IRS that will not permit any chances to the banking information.  That is to reduce the risk of fraud.  Turbo Tax has no way to change it (nor do you for your own protection).

If the IRS attempts to electronically direct deposit a refund and is unable to do so, a paper check will be mailed a few weeks later.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies