Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

@fp020152 Yes---you are most likely seeing the banking information for the third party bank that will receive the refund from the IRS and then send you the rest.   That bank has YOUR direct deposit information---if you entered it correctly---so when the IRS issues your refund, it goes first to the third party bank.  Then the third party bank sends the refund--minus your fees---to you.

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/who-provides-pay-with-my-refund/00/26410

How can I see my TurboTax  fees?   

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2565973-how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online

What is Refund Processing Service?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

This is exactly what happened to me. Been using Turbo Tax for years, same banking info, and my refund went to Texas. I'm in California for 10 years. No outside investments. There is no answer or correction when calling all provided numbers. What is happening with this? I've been trying to figure this out since May.

@a2farmer wrote:

This is exactly what happened to me. Been using Turbo Tax for years, same banking info, and my refund went to Texas. I'm in California for 10 years. No outside investments. There is no answer or correction when calling all provided numbers. What is happening with this? I've been trying to figure this out since May.

The only clue you gave is "Texas."   I'll take a big guess, but did your direct deposit happen to go to an account at MVB Bank in Texas?   Apparently you know what bank it went to.   If it went to MVB Bank, that is the bank used when one selects to have their refund deposited to a Credit Karma Visa Debit Card (Credit Karma MoneySpend Account), which is one of the refund options.    MVB is the bank that administers that.   Some users have said that they ended up with that Credit Karma option for their refund without realizing it.

Look at a page of your return called "Filing Instructions", and it should tell you what refund option you chose.

FAQ:  What is the Credit Karma MoneySpend Account/Visa Debit Card?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-refund/getting-know-credit-karma-mon...

Credit Karma MoneySpend Account/Credit Karma Visa Debit Card support:

https://support.creditkarma.com/

Also, how did you pay your TurboTax fees?   If you did choose that Credit Karma debit card option to receive your refund, and if you also chose to pay your TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund, the IRS would first send the funds to an intermediary company SBTPG that takes out the fees.  Then SBTPG would send the funds to the final chosen destination, such as your own bank account or the Credit Karma Visa Debit Card/MoneySpend Account, if you chose that Credit Karma option.   NOTE:   If you paid your TurboTax fees upfront at the time of filing, then SBTPG would not be involved, and this last paragraph would not apply to you.

chestnuitee
Returning Member

Hey thanks for the reply, it didn't solve my issue though. I found a disclosure on my tax return document to open a Credit Karma account, and there's a sentence: "federal and state refund amounts to be deposited in a Credit Karma MoneyTM Spend account."

However, I didn't created a Credit Karma account at that time but I created one months later, till now, I still don't see my refund on my Credit Karma account. 

@ chestnuitee wrote:

Hey thanks for the reply, it didn't solve my issue though. I found a disclosure on my tax return document to open a Credit Karma account, and there's a sentence: "federal and state refund amounts to be deposited in a Credit Karma MoneyTM Spend account."

However, I didn't created a Credit Karma account at that time but I created one months later, till now, I still don't see my refund on my Credit Karma account. 

My recent comment was actually addressed to a2farmer who mentioned his refund went to a "Texas" bank, but you may have been emailed a thread reply.  In any case your situation may be similar.   What is confusing about your situation, however, is that you posted previously in this thread back in May 2022 that your refund went to "an Illinois Chase Bank".     Credit Karma normally uses MVB Bank (often a Texas division).    But some investment companies use Chase Bank among other banks for brokerage cash accounts. 

So your situation is really confusing since you mentioned "Illinois Chase Bank" in May 2022, yet you say your return paperwork says "federal and state refund amounts to be deposited in a Credit Karma MoneyTM Spend account."   However, if you didn't open up a Credit Karma account at the time of filing and waited several months to do so, perhaps TurboTax used investment account numbers they had on file for you, such as if you had ever imported 1099 brokerage info into your TurboTax account.

Since you mentioned "Chase Bank", if it was me, this is how I would start.  Do you have a brokerage account or mutual fund account, and have you contacted someone at your investment company to see if they use an Illinois Chase Bank to receive electronic funds into an investment account?    Or, if you know the time period when the IRS sent the funds, look at your investment statements for a couple of months around that time to see if you spot it.

If that's unsuccessful, have you spoken to a live person at Credit Karma?  Although I think this is less likely since you mentioned "Chase Bank" instead of MVB Bank.   But in any case they should have various ways to look you up to see if you might have more than 1 Credit Karma account, for example.   Perhaps there is a customer service phone number on the back of your Credit Karma Visa Debit Card or in the paperwork for your Credit Karma MoneySpend account.

There are also some basic things you haven't mentioned.    Does the IRS "Where's My Refund" tool confirm that your refund was actually sent?

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

And how did you pay any TurboTax fees?   Did you pay upfront with credit/debit card at the time of filing, or did you choose to pay your fees out of the Federal refund?   If you chose to pay fees out of your Federal refund, a third-party company SBTPG is involved and is another place to check.  However, if you paid upfront, SBTPG does not apply.

EMMERTPX

I filed electronically as in previous years. Turbotax also put the wrong routing and account numbers on my Virginia state return - even though those numbers were correct on my federal return and the refund was deposited correctly. I have used Turbotax beginning with its first version and have nver seen anything like this before. What can I do to get my refund?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

So we can take a closer look at your specific situation, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@EMMERTPX

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is happening to me right now. Both my 2022 and 2021 tax refunds went to TT's bank sbtpg.com

I am really upset. Looking for alternatives to TT for next tax season.

barbaradundore186
Returning Member

how long does it take to receive the refund check after it is returned from the bank?

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

Per the IRS article below: " You incorrectly enter an account or routing number and the number passes the validation check, but your designated financial institution rejects and returns the deposit to the IRS. The IRS will issue a paper check for the amount of that deposit once it is received."

There is no specific time frame listed by the IRS, however the refund would need to go back to the IRS and a check would then be issued. Typically it is mailed out via USPS and arrive within 7-10 business days.

Please check out the below links for more information and assistance:

Frequently Asked Questions Refund Inquiries 18

@barbaradundore186 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have an old credit karma debit card tat I no longer use. Turbo Tax says they are going to pit y refund into my credit karma debit card but the numbers do not match the card I already have. such as the last 4 numbers of your card. I do not want to use credit karma. 

DWILLEY

Yes I need to fix it asap

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies