Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

I have this same situation. The last two years I have used the same routing number and this year I look on my documents and it’s a completely wrong number. it’s not just 1 or 2 incorrect numbers, each number for the routing and account is incorrect. So now I have to hope that it’ll be rejected and get my refund mailed. 

Sandiek

Turbo tax put the wrong routing and account number and the IRS deposited my refund into this random account. TT won't help me get my money back. Help?

This BS...because the same happened to me...i have the copies of the acct and bank info that I put in....you all need to screen your employees very well before hiring them to work with your company because its real easy for them to scam and have money sent to a card they have access to...they have all this sensitive information and I know for a fact what info i put in..sooo yess SOMEBODY had it sent to a greendot bank...and it wasnt me...so how do i get my money.....and if you look at the copy of my retuns then you would see my bank info didnt change...so what happened?

Hg300

They did the same thing to my fiancé’s taxes this year! We take screenshots of all the info we put in, all of our forms the account number was right on everything and the managed to put the last 4 numbers as 0000 which is not correct. Then they tell us there isn’t anything they can do and we have to wait THREE MONTHS because the IRS is backed up and they’re sending a paper check. I don’t care what anyone says WE didn’t put the wrong info in turbo tax did.

Hg300

Your wrong because it is possible. The turbo tax agent we talked to that has 30+ years of experience say he’s seen this happen a few times and it’s because of a glitch on the computer when it’s entered in.

jafriedy

How can I fix this?

jafriedy

Can this be fixed?

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@jafriedy

You are stating that the information sent over to the IRS from your TurboTax return was incorrect?  

The best place to start is to reach out to the IRS to confirm your refund was Rejected and sent back to the IRS.  To reach out to the IRS, please follow the below instructions:

RS: 800-829-1040  

Hours: 7 AM - 7 PM, local time 

Monday-Friday

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was going through this situation and thankfully i read this and indeed my refund is in my credit karma account.  Not sure how or why this happened but it gave me quite a scare, but i've got the money transferred to my bank account now!

I finally found mine in my brokerage account. What really chapped me was that Turbo Tax said absolutely no way my deposit info could have been changed at their end and offered NO HELP! This was two years ago and they obviously are still having the same problem. Their customer service SUCKS!

Need help with changing my routing number and account number wrong number was entered so my check is sitting somewhere and I don't know where it is not at my bank

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

If you entered the wrong account number and the IRS can't deposit it, they will send you a paper check once the direct deposit is returned or rejected.

For more information, you can contact the IRS.

How do I contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)?

@Msann1116

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
monicasorenson
Returning Member

The same exact thing happened to me!! I went and looked at my return and have no idea what they pulled for my banking information. I've been doing my taxes with TurboTax for the last 5 years, and I have never had to change my direct deposit information. Great. How do I get my refund now?!? It's been deposited into this random account.

monicasorenson
Returning Member

I'm in the same boat!!!

@monicasorenson wrote:

The same exact thing happened to me!! I went and looked at my return and have no idea what they pulled for my banking information. I've been doing my taxes with TurboTax for the last 5 years, and I have never had to change my direct deposit information. Great. How do I get my refund now?!? It's been deposited into this random account.

Did you have any TurboTax fees that you chose to pay out of your Federal refund?  If so, your funds go from the IRS to a temporary account set up at an intermediary bank.   The intermediary bank deducts the fees, then sends the rest to your bank (or card) in a second direct deposit.   If you used that service to pay your TurboTax fees, we can tell you more about how to check on it at the level of the intermediary company (SBTPG) that administers that.

Has the IRS released your refund yet?

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

monicasorenson
Returning Member

Yes, I paid my state taxes with my federal refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies