turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ckarim12

What can I do if I missed to include my Form 1095-A in my income tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

52 Replies

If you have already e-filed or mailed the return, you will need to wait until the IRS has accepted the return. Once they accept it and you have received your refund, then you can amend it. If it gets rejected, you can just make the needed changes and file again. 

NOTE: The amend form will be ready for you in mid-February. Once amend form is ready, you can go here and get instruction https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381 for amending that return

If you have not filed alreadysee steps here https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2594639 for how to enter the 1095-A

See reasons why you'd need to amend below 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3318732

I thought that you wouldn’t get the refund if you forgot to include 1095A.  Other answer is that the IRS will send you a letter you fax the 1095A and correct it on your return than once IRS gets it, it takes 3,weeks or more to get refund???  I forgot to include my 1095A my return has been accepted ...Does anyone know the correct answer? When do I amend? Thanks! 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

You can amend your return rather than wait for the IRS letter. It is best to wait until you have all the information you need to enter before filing or amending. Multiple amendments make it hard to keep track of the whole story.

You will have to wait until your return is accepted by the IRS before amending.

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
    • If you only see the option to amend 2018 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2019 return. Instead, just select Pick up where you left off, make your changes, and disregard the rest of these instructions.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.

Did you ever figure this out? I am in the same situation, I already filed my taxes and they were accepted on January 13th. I just got a letter yesterday with my 1095-A forms. I didn't think about even filing them because my insurance last year was too high even with the health insurance marketplace junk so I paid the first month and never paid it again. So my 1095 A form shows just that...It has numbers under the columns for January only and the rest of the months are zero. My taxes have been accepted already and I have a really important bill to pay early next month and I'm honestly having panic attacks now worrying that I won't get my initial refund. I'm fine with having to amend my return cause it's my fault I didn't wait on this form but I just need to know if I will get my refund as usual since it's been accepted and then have to amend or if I'll have to amend before getting my refund. I hope I get my refund cause this bill I have to pay is going to have a hard time waiting 8 weeks or however long for me to get my refund after amending it. So does anyone really know the answer to this question? Will I get my refund if accepted like normal then amend or will I not get the refund until I amend?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you have submitted your return, you will need to wait until it's accepted or rejected. If it's rejected, simply correct and re-submit. If your return is accepted, you will need to submit an amendment Form 1040X

Please see follow the amendment instructions in this FAQ: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I did the same exact thing. I thought about it while filing, but I thought that if I needed any information about it, I would've had TurboTax pop up a prompt (if it did, I didn't see it). Then, I put it in the back of my mind as I was answering other questions. Long story short, I filed on Friday then received the 1095a forms on Saturday. 

It sounds like you won't receive a significant cut to your refund (if you even receive one at all) since most of the year shows $0 except for January. However, because it's not included in the initial filing, your refund might be slightly delayed by a few weeks (than when you were initially hoping to receive it). How do I know? Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I forgot to include the 1095a form information on my tax return (the first time was when the insurance credit was first instituted).

I just received my 1095-a today and I filed in the beginning of January. I don't recall seeing any prompt from Turbo Tax to enter the information! My return has been accepted and I can't amend until mid-February. So what happens now? @jschooley7733 have you gotten any answers about a delay of the refund? 

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

If your Form 1095-A has an effect on your tax due or refund, you will get a letter in a few weeks from the IRS telling you that you need add Form 8962 to your tax return. 

When you get that, you can add the Form 8962 to your tax return by adding the  information form your 1095-A. You are correct, you will need to wait until mid-February. 

1. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents, select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  2. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  3. Select Continue on the screen titled, We’ll help you change (amend) your return
  4. Answer Yes, then select I need to amend my 2019 return and Continue.
  5. On the  screen titled We'll help you change (amend) your return, select the Federal Taxes tab at the top of the screen. 
  6. Click on Deductions & Credits near the top center of the screen.
  7. Find Medical on the list. If you don't see it, click on See all tax breaks at the bottom. 
  8. Click on Show more to the right of Medical
  9. Find Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) on the short list, click Start on the right.
  10. Enter your information.

This will add your 1095-A information to your tax return and will generate a Form 8962. To print your 8962:

1. Click on Tax Tools.
  2. Select Print Center.
  3. Click on Print, save or preview this years return. 
  4. Select Form 8962 and print the form.

To get your refund as soon as possible, follow the directions in the letter. Typically they will say not to amend return, but just to complete Form 8962 and fax or mail it to them with a copy of your Form 1095-A.

If you did not get any subsidy to pay for your insurance, you may not get a letter at all.

If the IRS has already accepted you’re efile without the 1095A. You will have to wait until they send you a letter with info on where to fax it it in. I went through this last year. My tax guy sent in the wrong year 1095A & I had to wait on my letter. After I got the letter with info on where to fax. I faxed it in and miraculously it took an extra 5 days for everything to be approved. Unfortunately I decided to not let my tax guy rip me off $900, so I filed TT. BUT I was never prompted by TT to enter that info. So it slipped my mind. And I filed without. But I was accepted 01/27/20. So hopefully my letter comes soon, & hoping it only takes a week like last year. 

Did you get your refund? I am in the same situation. TT never asked me for my 1095a form and I forgot about it, till after I filled. I just faxed the copies today. I hope it won’t take 6-8 weeks. I hate that they don’t let you know if they received your fax, plus I forgot to send a copy of the letter with it. I just sent the cover sheet, the 1095a and the 8962 form. Hopefully that is okay. It should be I mean my name is on the forms. 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

As stated above:

If you have already e-filed or mailed the return, you will need to wait until the IRS has accepted the return. Once they accept it and you have received your refund, then you can amend it. If it gets rejected, you can just make the needed changes and file again. 

NOTE: The amended form will be ready for you in mid-February. Once amend form is ready, you can go here and get instruction https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381 for amending that return

If you have not filed alreadysee steps here https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2594639 for how to enter the 1095-A

See reasons why you'd need to amend below 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3318732

The IRS letter says to not amend just send in the needed forms. Which are the 1095a form, and  the 8962 form. So I faxed them. 

Why must you wait until you have received your refund to file the amendment? TurboTax never asked for my 1095-A and I forgot to include it. My return was accepted by the IRS on 01/27 and when I check the "Where's My Refund? Tool" from the IRS website, it still says it is processing. Why can't I file an amendment before receiving the refund? I'm starting to think that I cannot receive my refund until I do so... 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original returns and replace them.  They are processed as two separate returns.

Your return will stay in Pending status until the IRS finishes processing the backlog of returns. After January, e-filed returns generally sit in Pending status for 24–48 hours before coming back as either Accepted or Rejected. Sometimes returns stay in Pending for several days or even longer.  Unfortunately, TurboTax has no control over how long the IRS takes to accept a return.

Please click the TurboTax Help link, listed below, to learn more.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/return-status/help/what-does-pending-mean/00/26331

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies