turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I paid for the deluxe ($84.79) and the TurboTax site still won't let me access my tax information. I need it for school. What do I need to do next?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies

I paid for the deluxe ($84.79) and the TurboTax site still won't let me access my tax information. I need it for school. What do I need to do next?

Purchasing one of the TurboTax desktop editions does not give you access to your online tax returns.

You can also get free transcripts of your federal return from the IRS - http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

For a fee of $50 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

You will not be able to upgrade to the Plus edition for tax year 2018 since the TurboTax online editions for 2018 have closed to make way for the 2019 online editions.  Once the 2019 online editions become available in December, at that time you can start a 2019 return and upgrade to Plus.

Or contact TurboTax support during business hours and see if there are any other options available for accessing a prior year online tax return.

Support is open from 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Well, that was the instruction that was given to me on the page and by the 1800 number I calles for intuit. 

How could I even obtain a transcript if the 2018 taxes were never filed?  I was told that to access and complete the filing I had to purchase the package due to the fact that I took out my 401k.  Because TurboTax won't process for free when you take from you 401k.  Before October 15th, I didn't have the money.  I was pregnant and on rest from work.  In other words I didn't have a job.  So, am I supposed to finishing submitting my taxes?

Well that is incorrect ...  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-return/00/270...

You can keep the 2019 downloaded version to use with your 2019 return OR   get a refund for it ...

To submit a refund request online, simply fill out our TurboTax Refund Request Form.

We all read your question to mean you needed a copy of the filed return .... but you did not file it yet ...

Ok ... so you did NOT complete the 2018 return before the season ended ... so you do have to download the 2018 program  AND   the .taxfile  as the screen here says ... then you open the .taxfile with the installed program and complete the return to mail in. 

.taxfile download.PNG

@MrsEseE26 wrote:

Well, that was the instruction that was given to me on the page and by the 1800 number I calles for intuit. 

What you were told was incorrect if they told you to purchase the software for one of the desktop editions.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for paying to access a prior year online tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/why-do-i-have-to-pay-to-access-my-prior-year...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for purchasing the Plus edition after filing the 2018 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/prior-year-return/help/how-do-i-purchase-plus-after-i-ve-already-f...

So, how is it that I can access the ones that I filed already from 2016 and 2017 tax returns.  They are prior years.  I was even able to amend them recently.  As for the "refund request", I didn't receive a refund, I owed. Which is why I would like to finish filing and pay what is due?  Any answer on how to pay something that was not filed?

Did you pay 84.79 for the 2019 Deluxe program download or the 2018 program?

If you bought the 2019 Desktop you can keep it for next year or call in to get a refund.  Or ask to exchange it for the 2018 program.

If you bought the 2018 Desktop program, you do need 2018 to finish a 2018 return.  But buying the Desktop download (or CD) won't unlock your online return.  So you do need to call in to unlock online and download the .tax2018 file to open in the Desktop program.

Are you under 59 1/2?  Normally you can enter a 1099R for a IRA or 401K withdrawal in the Free Edition.  Unless you need to pay the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty.

The link you sent just confirmed my previous statement. The point of the post.  @Critter 

I bought the 2018, the 2019 was not available a month ago when I bought it.  When I called them to ask about it they told me to give it 30 days to reflect and then I would be able to access my 2018 info to finish filing. @VolvoGirl 

I have to pay the early withdrawal penalty.  I took at the money to pay bills during my pregnancy. I will call them again for the 5 time on Monday, hopefully there will be no more run around.  Thank you @VolvoGirl 

@MrsEseE26 wrote:

I have to pay the early withdrawal penalty.  I took at the money to pay bills during my pregnancy. I will call them again for the 5 time on Monday, hopefully there will be no more run around.  Thank you @VolvoGirl 

Since you have to complete the 2018 tax return, then you correctly paid for and downloaded the 2018 desktop software to install on your personal computer.  All you need to do is sign onto your 2018 online tax return and download the tax data file, if you have not done so already.  There is no charge to download the tax data file.

Once the data file has been downloaded, start the 2018 TurboTax program.  Once started click on the File menu at the top left of the desktop program screen.  Click on Open Tax Return.  Browse to the location where you downloaded the tax data file.  The date file will have a file extension of .tax2018.

Continue and complete the 2108 tax return.  The 2018 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

Any taxes owed can be paid using the payment voucher Form 1040-V to be mailed with your check or money order for the taxes owed.

Or you can go to the IRS website for tax payment and use Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

I have followed the instruction which is in the image you have sent me.  The point is every time I click the link it takes me to a deluxe purchasing screen....... The point is I've already paid for the deluxe.... Lol @Critter 

I thank you all for your time and comments.  I'm assuming that there may be a glitch in their system as I followed all of these instructions numerous times.  I will give them a call on Monday.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies