turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I still e-file 2019 Amended Return using Turbo Tax?

I e-filed my 2019 1040 in March 2020 using Turbo Tax Premier.  Just discovered that I need to amend that return.  From everything I've read online I should be able to e-file my amended return using the same software.  I've made the change in the software after selecting "prepare an amended return."  But when I select File, E-File it gives me a message saying e-file is closed for the season.  I found an article saying Turbo Tax e-file shuts down in mid-October, but for amended returns it remains open for 3 years.  I read another article that said the IRS shut down e-filing about the same time (didn't specify whether that applied to regular returns and/or amended), but it would re-open in late January. 

Appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

E-filing of any 2019 tax return using TurboTax closed in October 2020.

A 2019 tax return, including 2019 amended tax returns, cannot be e-filed using TurboTax, they can only be printed and mailed.

View solution in original post

25 Replies

E-filing of any 2019 tax return using TurboTax closed in October 2020.

A 2019 tax return, including 2019 amended tax returns, cannot be e-filed using TurboTax, they can only be printed and mailed.

bj450

Read online that the IRS now accepts e-filing of amended 2019 tax returns. Any reason why turbotax software does not allow e-filing? Why must it be printed and mailed to the IRS?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number hereIf you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I read the same thing on the IRS website.  I don't believe return data goes directly from your Turbo Tax software to the IRS.  Instead, it goes to Intuit servers first, and then they forward to the IRS.  Apparently Intuit dropped that service in October 2020.  Pretty frustrating!  What good is having e-file available if your software provider drops that service?

P.S.  Don't expect for your amended return to get processed any time soon after mailing it.  I mailed three 2019 amended returns in late July last year and none have been processed yet.

I am faced with the same dilemma.

After amending my return, I went into the e-File tab as the program suggested and was able to complete the verification. But when I got ready to file, it asked me to input the current date (02/23/2021). When I did that, I received an error saying that the date entered had to be between 01/01/20 and 12/31/20. It would allow me to change the current date, but I hesitate to do that as I am concerned that backdating might invalidate the return.

Has anyone else experienced this situation?

Even if you were to back date it I'm pretty certain it won't go much further.  I expect you'll get the message that you can no longer e-file a 2019 return, regular OR amended.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@Deb3805

You can e-file an amended tax return from 2019 however you won't be able to do it with our online product. Please see this for more information: Amend 2019 tax return.

Thanks for the quick response.

Now for an even stickier problem.

When I filed my 2020 return, it said I had to correct an error in the forms. But in doing so, I inadvertently created a second, duplicate 1099 on the return. I then hit the transmit button and off it went, but I got a voucher to pay my tax due. I looked up in the box and it said I had an amount due of over $10,000, when I should be getting a refund of $5265. Needless to say, I freaked out! I went in and found the duplicate 1099 and removed it, which corrected the problem.

Yesterday I checked my refund status and it said the information did not match, so I called the IRS. Sure enough, the erroneous return was the one that was filed. I went in to see if a copy of the incorrect return was saved, but unfortunately I must have overwritten it with the one I fixed.

Without a copy of the the erroneous return I filed, I do not know how to properly amend the return to submit it Do you know where I might be able to find a copy of the return I filed, either with Intuit, or the IRS?

Help!

Herb Klinker

I'm using Turbo Tax Premier (loaded on my PC and fully up-to-date) and it will not allow me to efile a 2019 amended return.  Below is the message I get:

Capture.JPG

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@HerbieK You can get a copy of the return you filed by following the instructions here

If you amended the return when you made the changes, you can cancel the amended return to bring it back to normal. 

If you unlocked the return and made the changes, then the only option to get a copy of the return you filed would be to order a transcript from the IRS.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@Deb3805 Please follow the instructions here to amend your return. If you are unable to e-file the amended return , you would need to mail in the amended return. 

BW737
Returning Member

The suggested method does not work. I have the downloaded Mac 2020 updated premier turbotax.  I need to amend 2019 and following the above suggested directions....when opening the saved 2019 return , the program asks me to transfer it to the updated 2020 new return.  

TurboTax customer service and technical support is unacceptable.  

@BW737 wrote:

The suggested method does not work. I have the downloaded Mac 2020 updated premier turbotax.  I need to amend 2019 and following the above suggested directions....when opening the saved 2019 return , the program asks me to transfer it to the updated 2020 new return.  

TurboTax customer service and technical support is unacceptable.  

You cannot amend a 2019 tax return using the TurboTax 2020 software.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/01/123845...

BW737
Returning Member

Thanks for the reply, 

The link that you provide is the same article that has been discussed above. It gives two options with links for both the online versions and the software/downloaded version. If you are unable to use the downloaded version to do an amendment as you stated...then why does the article still has an active link to amend via the download method?

thx

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies