Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

money owed not taken from account

You should wait to amend until the IRS has processed you original return.  But if you have already filed the amendment and paid for the change, all you can do now is to wait for the IRS to process the original return.   

To find out where your refund is, first check your e-file status.   If it's been accepted, you can begin to track your refund at the IRS Where's My Refund? site.  You'll need your Social Security number or ITIN, filing status, and the exact amount of your refund to check your status.

Paper-filers: The IRS is taking longer than usual to process paper tax returns. They are processing them in the order they are received and ask that you wait at least 4 weeks after you mail your return before looking up your refund at Where's My Refund?

If it has been more than 21 days since your e-filed return was accepted, you can call the IRS directly to check on your refund status.

The IRS issues refunds, not TurboTax. This means that we can't say for sure why you haven’t received your refund if it's been longer than 21 days since you e-filed. You'll have to speak directly to IRS to find out more about the delay.    @caamisanchez21

When to contact the IRS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

So, what I did is fine, I would just wait for the total deposit, right?
Thank you very much for your help

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will need to wait for the deposit. IRS is behind because of the recent changes due to the pandemic.

Dezzyy

Thank you SO MUCH! I was in a panic. I called to speak to an agent and was hung up on. 

kfgrampp

I have the same situation.  Set this up originally for April 20.  It never was taken out.  Went back in and did it for May 15, didnt happen.  Due date is May 17th.  I may have mail a check and then block this transaction on my credit union side.  Tried calling Intuit last Friday, terrible service on phone automated response would not send me to a representative.  If this doesn't happen tomorrow I will not use Turbo Tax in the future.  Have used them for many years but this is unacceptable 

Also glitch with my e-filing.  

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

TurboTax has no ability to see or change when the IRS will debit your account for taxes due them.

Please be patient - the IRS will process your payment as quickly as they are able. 

You really can't find out when the IRS is going to debit your bank account for a tax payment - they don't provide that information.  

The IRS cannot debit your bank account any earlier than you authorized when filing, but they can wait as long as they want after that date. Presently, they are way behind in processing returns and issuing refunds because of ongoing changes in the tax code. It is reasonable to believe the same delays are occurring in payment processing. 

kfgrampp

So my scheduled date is May 15th.  I want to ensure I will not be penalized if the IRS does not process by today

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, there will be no penalties or interest if the IRS failed to make the debit on time as long as the request was done correctly on a timely filed return.

@kfgrampp

Belvedere55
Returning Member

I requested the IRS take electronic payment on Tax day filed 2022 for 2021 taxes.

The IRS did not take the payment.

Called Turbotax twice regarding this problem. They assured me that IRS would get around to it.

I just received a past due notice from IRS CP14 with added penalties and interest.

The turbotax system did not work. I received notice that the filing was received, but I have not received notice that IRS had any problem taking the payment.

I am having to mail the payment.

I predict that they may eventually take the electronic payment and I will have double-payed.

Intuit is a lie.

Better double check your bank account and routing number with your bank.  Some banks use a different number for deposits and payments.  And check your tax return to see how you selected to pay it.  It should be on the cover sheet.

How to review the method to pay the tax due

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-payments/help/how-do-i-review-the-method-i-chose-to-pay-my-fed...

Belvedere55
Returning Member

Step 2 above does not make sense on my return.  There is no such option on the screen you mentioned.

I received my refund from my state electronically already.

Intuit is a lie.

Huh?  I didn't list any steps.   And this is an old thread so the prior answers might not apply this year.  

@Belvedere55 What "step 2" are you referring to?   Multiple users have been posting to this thread for more than a year.   We cannot tell what you are referencing that is a "lie" or what screen you are talking about.   You say that you received your state refund.  So that means your federal return was accepted if you e-filed it, since it is not possible to e-file a state return unless the federal return was e-filed and accepted.

Federal and state refunds come from completely separate entities,  There is no rule as to which one will come first or how much time there will be between their arrivals.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2021 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2724106-my-return-is-accepted-but-still-not-approved-is-there-a-pr...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Oh you mean step 2 in the link?  Did you use the Online version or the Desktop program?

Belvedere55
Returning Member

Step 2 in the link makes no sense on my return either.

I printed out the entire 2021 return.

Federal Return Acceptance Date: 02/11/2022

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies