If the IRS cashed my payment check but says they did not receive the check, how should I proceed to correct the IRS' error?

We sent the IRS the amount owed for 2015 and they cashed the check but now sent a notice indicating they did not receive the check.  I have a copy of the cancelled check but their notification letter provides no guidance as to how to correct their error.  How can this be corrected?

Simply respond to the letter with a note saying you disagree and attach a copy of the proof of payment. 

Send a copy of the front and back of the check plus I would send a copy of your bank statement showing the payment coming out of your account.

Just happened to us now.  Just got the letter.  Have to call on Monday.  Anyone else still having these issues?

This usually happens when you send a check without the voucher and/or you fail to write in the memo section your SS# and why the payment is being sent like "2015 form 1040".   Call the number on the notice and have proof of payment in your hand and be prepared to fax them if they allow it ... or mail them if they do not. 

Or you sent in the check with the wrong voucher.  It should be a 1040V for the current tax due.  A 1040ES is an estimated payment for NEXT year.

Interesting. I sent the 1040V with the check. Memo however was “2019 Payment Taxes”

Well since the payment had to be entered by humans and humans make errors just call the number on the notice to get it worked out ... then in the future pay the IRS directly online here and skip the post office and the data input operator ...  https://www.irs.gov/payments/direct-pay

I have the same situation, and don't see the point of calling the IRS. Last year, the average wait time when calling was 3 hours.  Why not just mail the front and back of the cashed check, along with the original Certified Mail receipt?

I have the same situation. I did not indicate my social security on the front of the check. However, once the check was cashed by the IRS, it is on the back of the check. Why is the IRS issuing the letter, when they must have record of cashing the check for my social security number.

have a copy of the check front and back available.   call the number on the notice.  the IRS should be able to track the payment based on the info it stamps on the check.  They may request you send in a copy  - send front and back.  if so, get an address - it may be different than the address on the notice.  use a method where you get proof of delivery. do ASAP since the IRS generally only gives 60 days to respond. 

According to the bill you got there should be instructions on how to refute the bill ... if you don't want to call the mail back a simple response and attach the proof of payment  and don't panic ... this is a common situation. 

Just got a letter today yet they cashed the check weeks ago, I guess direct deposit is in my future!