IRS phone lines are typically very busy during the January through April filing season.
Before you wait on hold, try these IRS self-help options below (if you haven't already):
- Validating Your Electronically Filed Tax Return
- Where's My Refund?
- Where's My Amended Return?
- Order a Transcript
- Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA) if you have a tax law question
- Make a Payment if you need to pay the IRS outside of TurboTax
- Report Suspected Tax Fraud
If you must call, make sure the IRS is the right agency to handle your request. For telephone assistance, see IRS Telephone Assistance. Individuals can call (800) 829-1040, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. local time.