Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

143laura

If the IRS cashed my payment check but says they did not receive the check, how should I proceed to correct the IRS' error?

Hello.

Look at the endorsement stamp on the cancelled check.

Whoever posted my father's payment transposed ss# and payment was posted to wrong account.

The ss# is at the end of the first row.

The bank noticed this error. Not the IRS.

Hasnt been fixed yet but at least we know what happened.

Good luck.

If the IRS cashed my payment check but says they did not receive the check, how should I proceed to correct the IRS' error?

I made my payments online using their website, it was deducted from my checking account saying IRS.  THEN, they add our balance due to my account.   The payments are sitting there in the SAME account, but not applied to our balance.  When I paid these payments, I chose the selection that said applied toward 2021 taxes.  REALLY?!  Do they think I made donations to the government?!  I sat on hold for over an hour while driving to a customer's house and could not wait any longer.  I'm on the road all week.  I guess I have to send a letter.  This is ridiculous and even more stupid that on the phone they keep calling us customers.  We are NOT customers.  We are citizens and therefore their BOSSES! This is not a way to treat your boss.

OK ... first the IRS is underfunded and understaffed so only 7% (or less)  of the calls ever get answered. 

Now did you get a balance due letter from them ?   If so simply mail back proof of payment with the notice with a short, polite note stating the payment had already been made.   

If you have not yet gotten a notice then just hang in their.  Returns with balance dues on them are on the very back burner  while they process returns with refunds on them first.  Eventually they will process your return and the payment should  be accounted for automatically.  

Going forward, consider paying any taxes due directly on the IRS website.

I see the same issue I am currently dealing with for my 2021 tax payment. I paid on their website and the amount I paid I can see the history of the payment as well as it was taken from my bank and I still have the confirmation email . My tax person was going to reach out to them for me a month ago with a form to help me clear this up but she is on vac and cant not follow up with her. I have tried calling no luck. I see its suggested to send a  letter response  I got a month ago  from their letter   saying I owed with my proof. Is there anything else suggested to send them and where would I send it? I can see my IRS balance has gone up 3 more dollars from interest but would like to handle this asap. I paid it in Feb of 2022 for 2021 taxes and had no clue I had a balance until I got the letter . Also we file jointly so would I need to include his information. Any help is appreciated 

A thought I have for the last 2 posters is maybe the IRS adjusted your return and you now owe more (even for the same amount).    

I will ask my tax person that but I could of swore I did ask that about being additional and the way the letter was written was like unpaid balance I hadnt paid yet. Tried faxing my local tax office to make an appointment as suggested and even the fax lines are busy. In regards to responding with a letter and my proof I paid would anyone know where to send it? 

On the notice there is an address where you are supposed to mail a payment ... use that to refute the bill. 

Thank you for your help 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies