How to delete audit defense for turbotax desktop

I am trying to e-file, and do not want audit defense, but the $44.99 is being auto-added and the only option I am presented with is to "pay with my credit card" or "pay with my refund".  I don't want to do either, but can't continue??

Are you a California filer, or a non-California filer?   The method to remove Audit Defense varies depending on your location.

And are you efiling a state return?   If so,  how did you choose to pay the 24.99 state efile fee?

Deduct out of State refund.

What are you asking?

Audit defense is part of the MAX benefits and you can remove it by following the instructions below: : https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4842224

However, if you reside in California as long as you have not filed, here's how to first remove Premium Services and then pay by credit/debit card.  Do not pay by credit/debit card before you remove Premium Services, or it will still charge you for it. Here is the link to assist you with removing Premium services from your Turbo Tax return:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3625003

The user is using the desktop version for Windows.   The instructions are different than those for Online.

I live in California and have the same problem using Turbo Tax 2018 Desktop version, yet all the help screens I am sent to apparently show the Online version, which is completely unhelpful!  I finally gave up and printed then mailed my return (Saving me the $24.99 State eFile fee.)  I've been using your software for over 20 years, but this kind of bait and switch (or lazy programming) is uncalled for.  You are probably losing a long term customer for such devious behavior, (making it impossible to avoid paying $44.99 for an unwanted feature.)  Thanks for nothing Turbo Tax.  

Davec95  

Sorry you had trouble.   I know you have now filed on paper so this info will be moot, but may be explanatory and may help  other users who find this thread.   I don't work for TurboTax, but volunteer in the user forum.

You said you are in California.  Did you originally choose to pay the 24.99 state efile fee out of your Federal refund?   If so, in California, that pay-out-of refund option is bundled in a package called "Premium Services" for 44.99 which automatically includes Audit Defense as a benefit.    So anyone in California who chooses to pay the state efile fee out of the Federal refund ends up having Audit Defense.    For California filers the way to get rid of it is to pay the 24.99 fee by credit/debit card and thus avoid the "Premium Services Bundle."

Even when one doesn't choose to pay out of the Fed refund, it's also possible that one could add Audit Defense by the usual method that non-California filers users.  In that case it is removed by removing a checkmark on one of the screens in the REVIEW tab in the AUDIT PROTECTION section.   On a screen after the Audit Risk meter, way down at the bottom is a place to enter or remove a checkmark for Audit Defense.

I posted this earlier but it didn't go through right.

You have to read all the screens slowly and carefully or you can click on the wrong button to continue in the Desktop program.

if you want to efile state for the 24.99 and don't want to have it deducted from your federal refund and avoid the 39.99 Refund Processing Service charge (44.99 in California) watch for this screen.

RTF Desktop.jpg