Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I recover a deleted tax return?

Yes if you saved your tax return to the thumb drive.  You need the file ending in .tax2019 to transfer into 2020.  Or the pdf file to get a copy.  You can copy them back to your computer.  

If you can't find 2019.  Here's an idea.  Do you still have 2019 installed?  Try opening 2019 program and see if you can get your 2019 return to show up in it.  Go to FILE - OPEN.  Then save it again with a name and place you can find.  Go to File - Save As.

I need to recover my 2019 income tax return from TurboTax. I filed it with TurboTax last year but somehow deleted it because I had computer problems. I am told that TurboTax keeps all returns on it's computers. what do I need to do to recever it.

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

karlos 1

2019 tax year loaded on desk top from disc

karlos 1

it was deleted from my desk top.  any way to recover it?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Was it deleted only from the desktop?  If so, you can search your computer to see if your tax data file is still on the hard drive. Please see Find your tax data file (.tax file) in Windows for instructions or if using MAC see: Find your tax data file in Mac

@karlos1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PBuid

Please help

PBuid

Web based 2019

PBuid

software downloaded, 2019

PBuid

Online web based editions?   2019

@PBuid  Are you looking for a 2019 return?  So which did you use?  The Online web version or the Desktop CD/Download program?

for online.....

It's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

If you used the Desktop CD/Download program then the only copy is on your computer and not saved or stored online.

You can also request a transcript from the IRS
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number hereIf you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

dave1534

Used 2020 Turbo Tax.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@dave1534 Did you use Turbo Tax Online or Desktop?

jhluyt

How can I recover my 2019 tax files in order to use information for my 2020 taxes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies