Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where is the online menu to check for updates?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

59 Replies

If you are in the CD/Download go to top line, and click on ONLINE and then the first drop-down is updates and click on that.

The online program is connected directly to TurboTax and always has the latest information, so you do not have to do the updates.

The CD/desktop program (which is not online) requires you to do the updates.

CBP

Apparently you are looking at a screen different from mine. There is no way to check for updates and since the State of Wisconsin is missing a schedule I, I am not able to file either my state or federal taxes. Why would anyone be blocked from filing a perfectly valid federal form?

brenie27

Mine is not letting me file either. I am also from Wisconsin. I cannot find this check for updates. I am trying to file from their website not a download. 

brenie27

I saw on another post it should be updated 2/6/2020.

dkinney13

TT says I need to check for updates, but when I check the online menu it says my software is up to date. Please don't tell me I need to print my taxes and snail mail them.. WTF?

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

I understand you tried to E-file and TT says check for updates, but software appears to be up-to-date when you make the check.  Try signing all the way out and signing back in.  Then check the online menu for updates. Be sure to monitor your screen during the process for any messages or instructions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
jimlaw

Can't e-file return because I need to check for Updates.  Can't figure out how to find the menu item "Check for Updates".

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@jimlaw 

This is a known issue.  When attempting to e-file a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software, this message appears:

There is an update available for your version of TurboTax. Before you can file electronically, you’ll need to get this update. To do this, go to the Online menu and select Check for Updates. Manually update TurboTax for Windows here. 

However, after updating, the same message continues to reappear, resulting in an endless loop.

Workaround

Some customers have been able to successfully e-file with this workaround:

1. Follow the steps in the article Troubleshoot TurboTax for Windows updating issues.
  2. Now try e-filing again. If that didn't work, first uninstall and then reinstall your TurboTax program.
  3. Finally, if you're still unable to e-file after following the above steps, you can either sign up to be notified by email when a fix has been released, or you can file a conventional paper return.

" DawnC Employee Tax Expert"

I have finished our 2019 Federal Taxes on TurboTax Home and Small Business but was unable to e-file and it said I needed to go to TurboTax menu and check for all the latest update and download and the try to file.

Please let us know how to get to TurboTax menu.

Thanks,  Edward J Swenson

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

To update the TurboTax Home and Business:

• Click Online in the black menu in the top left-hand side of the TurboTax screen
  • Use the dropdown menu to click on Check for Updates 
  • The program will tell you it needs to save. Click on OK

The CD request I go back to a previous addition.  My taxes are ready to file and I am concerned that by doing so all my current entered data will be deleted of over wrote. I can't file find where to find the menu for 'Online'. Check for Updates

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

Make sure to go to File - Save, at the top right of your software and you won't lose your tax return.

If you're on a PC, open TurboTax and select Check for Updates from the Online menu near the top. On a Mac, simply quit and reopen TurboTax. If there are any updates, you'll be prompted to download them.

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information, How do I update my TurboTax CD/Download software p...

Which online menu? Where?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

@Kerstin14 You can follow the instructions here to manually update the Turbo Tax Desktop software. f you are using Turbo Tax Online it will automatically update. 

If you need additional assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies