turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What does it cost to efile state

Sorry that's how the Desktop CD/Download program works.  You get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns (in that state).  Then each state efile is $20 (goes up to 25 on March 1).  Or you can print and mail state for free.  Except New York is free to efile.   It even says that on the box.  

Blenderboy
Returning Member

Not disputing price, just the bad analogy.

BTW you can also independently e-file within each state for free.

I had to pay $45 for the State of IN.

Blenderboy
Returning Member

To E-file, that's for the software

@ekingsley80   Did you use the Online version?  State is $45 in the online version (was $40 before March 1).  In the Online version state is a separate prices to prepare and it is free to efile.   

Blenderboy
Returning Member

Is only the first state is free to e-file via TurboTax?

Most states are free to e-file directly through government website.

No.  In the Desktop CD/Download program EACH state efile (including the first one) is $20/25 to efile.  Except NY is free to efile.  Or you can print and mail state for free.

In the Online web/browser versions you log into you pay to prepare each state return whether you efile or print and mail.  Except in the Free Edition of course.   Efiling is free and included.  

Florida has no income tax

Blenderboy
Returning Member

The pricing and fees not very transparent and unnecessarily complex to find.

Should be a simple matrix table.

I'm going back to H&R Block after using Turbotax for more than a decade.

bibiana1pinzon
Returning Member

I used TT Deluxe to efile my 2019 State Taxes. I received a copy of it staying that TT collected the efile fee, TT had processed them and I didn't need to file them via regular mail. To my surprise, when I am trying to file my 2020 taxes, CA Franchise Tax Board informed me that they NEVER received my 2019 State Taxes from TT. I need to talk with a TT representative to know why this happened, and TT filed them IMMEDIATELY and also pay for all penalties. I have NEVER be late filing my taxes every year. I trusted TT when I am filing my taxes. I have tried to call the TT customer service but the robot call is misleading my requests and I have to wait for a long time. When finally someone answered my call, the representative hang up or put me on hold and then hang up. MAY SOMEONE FROM TT CONTACT ME TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM YOU CREATED WITH MY STATE TAXES? THANKS.  

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

To reach out to TurboTax, see: What is the TurboTax phone number?

Regarding your state taxes, it is important to check on your return status and look for the confirmation email that it was sent. 

You will need to download and mail the California state return. The 2019 taxes cannot be e-filed by TurboTax now that we are in the 2020 tax return season. For where to mail the return, see: FTB California Form 540 mailing addresses.

To get your 2019 Form 1040 download, from the left menu, select Tax Home. Then, follow these steps:

• Scroll down to Your tax returns & documents and Show.
  • Navigate to the option to download the PDF of your return.
    • The forms are named in the top left and lower right hand corners of each page.

I have no income except for social Security. what should I buy?

You can use the free online version, if you are a senior you can use 1040SR but the interview will walk you through it

@lucky77346  You can use the Online Free Edition.  Click on the Orange button

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/free-edition.jsp 

If you only get ssi or SS or SSDI it is not taxable and you do not have to file a return. And there is no benefit in claiming dependents or deductions. Unless you have federal income taxes withheld from the benefits or you get health care insurance through one of the state marketplace exchanges and receive a Form 1095-A then you need to file a tax return.

And you can't efile a return with no taxable income. If you want to file you will have to print and mail it. Or you can try adding $1 of interest to let you efile. Make up a fake 1099Int.

Enter a 1099-Int under

Federal

Wages & Income

Interest and Dividends

Interest on 1099INT - Click the Start or Update button

Put the interest amount in box 1

Last year, I paid $25 to e-file my 2020 CA state return in June 2021.  What is the e-filing fee for my 2021 CA return this year?  Also, will this fee go up at some point during 2022?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies