Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

What does it cost to efile state

I really don't understand why you need to pay for E-file for most states.  With what is going on now you would think there would be an exemption.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

You can always paper file your state.  E-filing is a convenience that has value.  This doesn't change just because of the pandemic.  Restaurants still charge for their food - why would this be any different.  You can cook at home or pay a restaurant to cook for you, same with TurboTax. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This just happened to me with my 2019 return as well. And we don't have any sales tax in Oregon, so the extra $5 can't be for sales tax. Boo Turbotax.

Well @nicksy54 it looks like numerous users have had this happen over the years. Seems like a pretty clear example of bait/switch, bumping the price up by $5 after presenting the $19.95 price prior to the credit card authorization. Bad business practice to say the least.

@DanKeeney wrote:

Well @nicksy54 it looks like numerous users have had this happen over the years. Seems like a pretty clear example of bait/switch, bumping the price up by $5 after presenting the $19.95 price prior to the credit card authorization. Bad business practice to say the least.

The price increases every year from the early filer prices to the standard prices in March of the year.  In 2020 for the 2019 tax returns the price change was on March 1.

So from the time the 2019 desktop software was released in mid-November 2019 until March 1, 2020 the e-file charge for a state tax return was $19.99.  On March 1 the price increased to $24.99.

The same price structure will be in place for the 2020 desktop editions to be filed in 2021.

Hmm.  For California it was $24.99.  I'm assuming it's the same for other states, but an earlier answer had it at $19.99.  It was also $24.99 for California last year.

@emilysrowe wrote:

Hmm.  For California it was $24.99.  I'm assuming it's the same for other states, but an earlier answer had it at $19.99.  It was also $24.99 for California last year.

The price increases every year from the early filer prices to the standard prices in March of the year.  In 2020, for the 2019 tax returns, the price change was on March 1.

So from the time the 2019 desktop software was released in mid-November 2019 until March 1, 2020 the e-file charge for a state tax return was $19.99.  On March 1 the price increased to $24.99.  The e-file charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

The same price structure will be in place for the 2020 desktop editions to be filed in 2021.

100bxm

My company recommends intuit and gives the option to have our W2s auto fowarded to intuit..i used the online service last year for 2018 tax year for both state and federal..it cost about 24.95 in tot and that was with an upgrade to a deluxe package..this year i entered my information and the system is saying even though i cannot itemize..i HAVE to upgrade to a deluxe version at a cosy of $60.00 because i have student loan interest , i bypassed the option so i could see what my state return would be and intuit is saying that the state return will be an additional $50.00!!!! This is a complete and total misrepresentation of what the expected fees and filing costs were purported to be and i will file with ANY other tax efile service as well as report this to my organization, (over 25,000 employees)  $110.00 for a simple federal and state tax return for a single person with no other special deductions or dependents is an exorbitant charge, and as another user commented, i can hire an accountant cheaper, use my states free file or submit a paper return...totally ridiculous!! Turbo tax, Intuit, we werent born yesterday!!!

@100bxm wrote:

My company recommends intuit and gives the option to have our W2s auto fowarded to intuit..i used the online service last year for 2018 tax year for both state and federal..it cost about 24.95 in tot and that was with an upgrade to a deluxe package..this year i entered my information and the system is saying even though i cannot itemize..i HAVE to upgrade to a deluxe version at a cosy of $60.00 because i have student loan interest , i bypassed the option so i could see what my state return would be and intuit is saying that the state return will be an additional $50.00!!!! This is a complete and total misrepresentation of what the expected fees and filing costs were purported to be and i will file with ANY other tax efile service as well as report this to my organization, (over 25,000 employees)  $110.00 for a simple federal and state tax return for a single person with no other special deductions or dependents is an exorbitant charge, and as another user commented, i can hire an accountant cheaper, use my states free file or submit a paper return...totally ridiculous!! Turbo tax, Intuit, we werent born yesterday!!!

See this TurboTax support FAQ for checking your fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for removing fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/what-can-i-do-to-reduce-my-fees/01/26051

OR -

Use the TurboTax Free File program if you are eligible - https://freefile.intuit.com/
If you are eligible you can use the TurboTax Free File Program which is free to file both a federal and state tax return. The Free File Program edition is a full featured personal tax program and on a separate website from the TurboTax online editions.

To qualify for free 2019 federal and state tax returns with the Free File Program, you'll need to meet at least one of these requirements:

• A maximum 2019 adjusted gross income (AGI) of $36,000; or
  • You qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC); or
  • You served as active duty military (including Reservists and National Guard) with a maximum 2019 AGI of $69,000 (you'll also need a military-issued W-2).

See this TurboTax support FAQ on the Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900583-what-is-the-turbotax-free-file-program

See this TurboTax support FAQ for the difference between the Free File Progam and the Free edition - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2572617-what-s-the-difference-between-free-file-program-and-free-e...

And see this TurboTax support FAQ on how to switch to the TurboTax Free File Program - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2026912-how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program

I filed my today and i was charged $120 plus $6 to pay with my card to efile????  I'll be calling them when i get off work.  Thought i was paying the $72 i owed to the irs, then saw that they charged my card $126???

JWCherner

I bought TurboTax premier which covers Federal + one state. But I have to file a second state.  They got me!  I had to pay $44.95 for the second state program, then $24.95 to e-file the second state return!!!  One day, the IRS is going to allow, from its own website, citizens to do their return and file it for free (like other countries)!!! I can't wait!!!  Intuit is so sneaky, shady, unscrupulous. They deserve to be put out of business.  I tried to post this message on their website, but of course they deleted it (which should also be illegal).

The IRS doesn't have a program since the tax prep companies lobbied to get them not to. I wouldn't wait for the IRS to get something in place. Too much lobbying money to keep it private.

HarryD123

$110 to e-file a simple 1040 and a single state return with student loan interest!! You complete the entire return and get thumped at the end.  You should be more upfront with the "required Deluxe upgrade"!!! Perhaps the moment after I entered my student loan interest!!??? Certainly not after both returns have been completed.  But I know that is by design. You got me this year, but not next year. I feel so mistreated by a company I trusted.  I will make a point to tell everyone I know not to use TT.  It's not as much the cost as it is the deception.  You lost a very loyal customer and now you will lose more. 

Goodbye.

I agree it's totally misleading. I was under the same impression that you pay once for the product. They should provides the information upfront that you pay for Deluxe with State and an additional 30$ for state e-file.  A tax consultant is cost effective than Turbo tax. I will never use it again ! Disappointed.

Blenderboy
Returning Member

Your analogy doesn't make sense.

I prepare my taxes via the software app I pay for, then have to pay to e-file?

So I bought the food, prepare the meal, but I pay someone else to eat it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies