turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What does it cost to efile state

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

112 Replies
jande15

federal and state

Using the desktop editions of TurboTax there is currently a $19.99 fee to e-file a state income tax return.  This fee can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

david19

I entered a long comment.  Then it said I had to login and deleted my comment.
david19

On the screen You're Almost Ready to File it says that e-file for State will cost $19.99 "plus applicable sales tax."  On the screen where I enter my credit card information it says it's going to charge me $24.95.  The difference is $5, which is 25% sales tax!!!  And that's for a service that costs them maybe 2.5% credit card processing fee.  And that's after I paid $66.77 at Staples for TurboTax Premier.

I phoned Customer Service and the recording said they would call me back in five minutes.  When I received the call it said press 1 to talk to someone.  I pressed 1 and waited.  All I got was silence; no one answered.  I hung up and phoned again.  Now all I get for the past 15 minutes of redialing is a busy signal.  Probably everyone is calling to complain about the 25% sales tax.
david19

Customer Service line is busy for 30 minutes.
jem02081

I had the same issue for my 2017 filing.  $19.99 became $24.99 when I went to pay!
adchute

Same thing here.  The 2017 state filing fee ended up being $24.99.  The CD package label says the fee is $19.99, but there is a footnote that says "Prices subject to change without notice.". One of the above comments is from 2 years ago - same thing with $19.99 going up to $24.95.  If the price went to $24.95 (or $24.99?) 2 years ago, why does the 2017 CD package say it will be $19.99 when they end up charging $24.99?  They obviously knew it was $24.99 when they produced the 2017 package label.  This is a class action lawsuit for false advertising waiting to happen. A lawsuit like that would cost TurboTax a lot of money.

why it want let me e-filie

I would like to start all over. Is that possible

I will tell you what it cost me. $29.99 for the Basic CD then $39.99 to do the State return and another $19.99 to efile it. NEVER using Turbo Tax again. They offered me a $3 refund--I said just keep it!!! I can hire an accountant cheaper than that.

I"ve been using Turbo Tax for many years in Florida but this year had a state income filing and getting one answer on the charge but getting double that when trying to file.

the efiling for New York state used to be free. Did they change for 2019?

In New York if you efile federal you must efile state

@minike wrote:

the efiling for New York state used to be free. Did they change for 2019?

In New York if you efile federal you must efile state

E-filing of a New York state tax return is free to e-file using either the TurboTax online editions or the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions .

If the federal tax return is e-filed before the state tax return, then the state return can only be e-filed after the IRS has accepted the e-filed federal tax return.

The turbotax website is telling me it costs $40 to efile NY state return??? I've always used Turbotax but this is the first time they are charging to efile state! I might be switching!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies