Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Updates for turbotax 2020 will not install. Any suggestions?

Thanks for that info,  but I am not on a virtual machine. Windows 10 Home 64 Version 1909

RLFBAF565

I had the same problem.  I had received 2020 Turbo Tax Deluxe on a CD and it would not update when it reached the update cycle.  I spent hours trying to talk to someone at Turbotax and finally reached a real person.

The solution to the update problem was resolved by deleting the CD version and re-installing a download version.  Now it seems to work OK.  This is the second year in the row I have had problems and they seem to come from the fact the Turbotax Programmers do not do adequate testing before releasing.  Their approach seems to be "let the users test the software" which is disgusting.  

Some info for all that have these issues:

I bought it from Amazon.com on CD ... It installed and activated fine.

But then I ran into the update glitch. I was going to redownload from

TurboTax, but when I entered the License code on my account, it said it

was associated with some other email. Not sure if Amazon buys these in

bulk on a corporate email and one license key for all buyers.

Today, I went and checked for a newer manual update file at Turbotax

and found this one version (189MB .. version 151 0100)

@RLFBAF565 wrote:

I had the same problem.  I had received 2020 Turbo Tax Deluxe on a CD and it would not update when it reached the update cycle.  I spent hours trying to talk to someone at Turbotax and finally reached a real person.

The solution to the update problem was resolved by deleting the CD version and re-installing a download version.  Now it seems to work OK.  This is the second year in the row I have had problems and they seem to come from the fact the Turbotax Programmers do not do adequate testing before releasing.  Their approach seems to be "let the users test the software" which is disgusting.  

w_perrelsuperpatch_ttax_[phone number removed].exe

@RLFBAF565 wrote:

Downloaded it, ran it,, installed fine. Opened program and it went to check for

updates to my state download. It did that and they installed fine, no error message.

So whatever glitch they had in the software seems to be fixed.

lmmcken
Returning Member

I followed your link to the fixes for the 1603 error and the manual update link doesn't work.  Any ideas now?  I finally got TT installed (wasn't easy - finally had to disable Malwarebytes and do selective startup).  The state updates worked but the federal ones don't.  How can I get this updated?  It's maddening.

@lmmcken wrote:

I followed your link to the fixes for the 1603 error and the manual update link doesn't work.  Any ideas now?  I finally got TT installed (wasn't easy - finally had to disable Malwarebytes and do selective startup).  The state updates worked but the federal ones don't.  How can I get this updated?  It's maddening.

Do you have a Windows PC?  The manual update shown in this FAQ should work if you use an Edge browser (I could not get it to download using Chrome) - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-software-basic-...

I got it to download in chrome, but it did nothing.  After running the manual update patch and starting TT the automatic update started and failed as before.

@Cheddar299 wrote:

I got it to download in chrome, but it did nothing.  After running the manual update patch and starting TT the automatic update started and failed as before.

Contact TurboTax support for this problem.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or -

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

Today Feb 06,2021 Turbotax wanted to check for updates again. It now has the same error

as before ,where it fails when it gets to the end of "winperreleasemsi" with an error about some file missing from Turbo Tax Cab .... I  thought they had this resolved but apparently the programmers who create the weekly updates keep forgetting to add the required file to the CAB File ... They really need to get their act together, as constantly failing updates will not do.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@bruceb I would suggest reaching out to our TurboTax Customer Support. 

The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below. Use the web form and type your question or a keyword.  You will get an appropriate phone number for your issue. (You will not get a phone number if you use the link outside of operating hours.) We're open daily from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM PT.

This seems to be an ongoing issue. The programmers are somehow omitting a key file when they add files to TurboTax Cab .. as such the installer: winperreleasemsi errors out when it get to the end, looks for the file and does not find it. Then the program stops working and I have to uninstall it and reinstall to be able to open it again. This problem has happened before and to others. It had been fixed on Feb 3, 2021 and now on Sat Feb 6. they issued a program update dated Feb 05 which has the same error  again. For me, I need to wait until early March before I can finalize and file (need my broker 1099 and a K1) which will not be out before then. As to the version it is: TurboTax Premier 2020 on Windows 10 Home 64 .. I did have a case number from about 1 week ago, but never got a final response. Customer service with a technical person is hard to reach.

Same issue for me. TT2020 worked fine up until today (2/7).  Then update got stuck and wouldn't install.  Tried the manual update. That also gets stuck.  What the heck is going on.  How do you screw up an update like that. 

Intuit: kindly fix this!!!

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, 32 bit, TT Home and Business. I had trouble with the updates not installing. I noticed the program asked me if I wanted to let the program make changes. This was the first time in at least 10 years of TT Home and Business, or equivalent, I was asked this question. When I answered yes to allowing TT to make changes, TT crashed, reverted to beginning and followed the same path. I rebooted several times w/o any change. TT removed the question and reverted to the question "Do you want to update now". Since the question was removed I have had no trouble with updates and the entire program. I did not uninstall and reinstall.  

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Thank you for reporting this issue. We are aware of what is going on and are working to resolve this issue. Please continue to monitor this thread for updates.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
NanJean

I am having one heck of a time trying to get updates as well.  Nothing wrong with my computer.   I completely did my 2020 taxes but could not file because a CA State form was not ready.  So, I get the message from TT that the update is ready and lowa and behold I get the loop message Microsoft 1603.  Won't update, wont let me even access my taxes.  This is ridiculous.  Either TT fixes this issue or refund us all.  I don't have time to mess with this.  We should not have to do all this programming type stuff and have to change browsers and turn off firewalls.  Please fix this ASAP.

Still not able to update on Weds, Feb 10.  What is the anticipated fix date?  Kindly advise.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies