Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

@Lrusso726 You did not really ask a question.   Did your daughter claim you as a dependent?  If she should not have claimed you then she needs to amend her tax return.  Meanwhile, if being claimed prevented you from receiving stimulus money, then you can get it on the 2020 tax return by using the recovery rebate credit.  And tell your daughter not to claim you.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check this year, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021—if you are eligible.It will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments-for-individuals-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

We know that the IRS is already revising the 2020 Form 1040 to include the 2nd stimulus, but that change will entail a lot of re-programing at the IRS and for the tax software programs.  It may be at least a month — or longer— before the forms are changed.  Do NOT be in a hurry to file your 2020 tax return until more is known. Give some extra time to the IRS and the software programmers so that the software can handle the new 2nd stimulus, so that you can get it all by filing ONE time. You will need to visit the recovery rebate section AFTER the form and software revisions are complete in order to do this correctly. It is never a good idea to file too early; filing your 2020 return too soon may result in a lot of extra confusion that can be avoided if you wait and file a little later.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

My daughter claimed me as a dependent I am not her dependent please note that I don't want her to get in trouble but I don't want her to do this because I got nothing for the pandemic and I am disabled 

RayW7
Expert Alumni

If someone rightfully claims you, you cannot claim yourself, and in that event, you will miss claiming your own $4,000 exemption which may increase your refund.

Actually, no one needs your permission to claim you as long as they have the right to do soper the IRS.  Based on the information you provided you would be classified as a Qualifying Relative Dependent.  

The following guidelines are necessary for someone to claim you:

Qualifying Child Dependent:

• The child must be related to you. The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them.
  • Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply (ie. away at school).
  • The child cannot provide more than half of his/her support.
  • You must be the only person claiming the child
  • The child must be a US citizen, resident alien, national, or resident of Mexico or Canada.
  • The child cannot file a joint return with his or her spouse.

Qualifying Relative Dependent: 

• You provided more than half of their support.
  • They made less than $4,000 in gross income.
  • They live with you or they are related to you.
  • They aren’t a dependent on someone else’s taxes.
  • They aren’t doing their taxes with a spouse (married filing jointly).
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

If, after examining the above guidelines, you determine that no one has the right to claim you as their dependent, you should file a paper return  (which you can do through TurboTax), claiming yourself and send it in to the IRS. They will then contact you and whoever claimed you and decide who should get your exemption and adjust your tax result accordingly.

what is the form i fill out if someone claimed one of my children on their taxes without my permission 

If your return is rejected because a dependent has already been claimed then your only option is to print, ink sign and mail in the return to assert your claim to the dependent.

azunanU555
Returning Member

the I.R.S says I was claimed as a dependent. who did it .I don't know?.  

can anyone help me .I.am still trying to get.the  cov19 help the 1200. and the600. idont understand everyone but me got there payment .help please 

@azunanU555 wrote:

the I.R.S says I was claimed as a dependent. who did it .I don't know?.  

can anyone help me .I.am still trying to get.the  cov19 help the 1200. and the600. idont understand everyone but me got there payment .help please 

The stimulus questions are asked in the Federal Review section of the TurboTax program.  Any payment you were eligible to receive based on the 2020 Federal tax return but did not receive will be entered on the Federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30 as a tax credit.  The credit is included in the federal tax refund or it will reduce the amount of federal taxes owed.

Kahalia21

So how do I know where to mail it to and besides the return what else do I mail 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you asking about the 2020 Federal 1040 tax return?

Mailing addresses for the 2020 Federal 1040 tax return can be found on page 138 of IRS Publication 17.

Attach a copy of each W-2 and 1099-R showing Federal income tax withheld.

See this and this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

post what I need y ge forms to do something  about this 

JoannaB2
Expert Alumni

Yes, if someone had already claimed you as dependent and successfully transmitted the return. you may have to paper file  to claim your exemption.  You may attach a letter of explanation regarding your tax situation.

Mrwinzer

Someone claimed me without my permission and I would like to know would you be able to help me file the paperwork but my stimulus return no one can claim me I am 55 years old I stay alone by myself

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@Mrwinzer If someone claimed you, you can still mail in your tax return and claim yourself to get the Third Stimulus Payment

The IRS will eventually ask the other person to prove that you are their dependent.  If they are unable to do that, they will have to pay back any amounts they received by claiming you.

Click this link for more info on Who can I claim as my dependent?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I believe some one used my information without my permission

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

What makes you think someone has "used your information" and how do you think they have used it?

@Piglettpaula

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies