Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mailing my return what do I need to mail

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ShawnaD

When you select "File by mail" in TurboTax, all forms required for mailing will print with your Federal and State returns. You will mail Federal returns to the IRS address listed in the instruction printout, and you will mail your State returns to the state address listed in the instructions.

If you are not filing your return electronically, you will print and mail Form 1040/1040A/1040EZ along with any schedules that you have completed for the return (such as Schedule A, Schedule C, Form 2441 for Child and Dependent Care Expense, Schedule EIC, etc). Please note that Form 1040EZ will not have any additional schedules for you to file with this form.

An easy way to tell if the form should/should not be mailed to the IRS is to look at the top of the form and if you see text similar to "Complete and attach to Form 1040A or 1040" then this means you need to mail the form with your tax return.

Most worksheets do not have to be mailed with your return and may say "keep for your records". 

Please also see this link on how to prepare your return for mailing: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-news/at-01-30.pdf

From the IRS website, items you should mail with your returns also include:

• Form W-2.    Form W-2 is a statement from your employer of wages and other compensation paid to you and taxes withheld from your pay. You should have a Form W-2 from each employer. If you file a paper return, be sure to attach a copy of Form W-2 in the place indicated on the front page of your return. Attach it to the front page of your paper return, not to any attachments. For more information, see Form W-2 in chapter 4.
  • Form 1099-R.   If you received a Form 1099-R, showing federal income tax withheld, and you file a paper return, attach a copy of that form in the place indicated on the front page of your return.
  • Form 1040EZ.    There are no additional schedules to file with Form 1040EZ.
  • Form 1040A.    If you file a paper return, attach any forms and schedules behind Form 1040A in order of the “Attachment Sequence Number” shown in the upper right corner of the form or schedule. Then arrange all other statements or attachments in the same order as the forms and schedules they relate to and attach them last. Don't attach items unless required to do so.
  • Form 1040.    If you file a paper return, attach any forms and schedules behind Form 1040 in order of the “Attachment Sequence Number” shown in the upper right corner of the form or schedule. Then arrange all other statements or attachments in the same order as the forms and schedules they relate to and attach them last. Don't attach items unless required to do so.

The link to this information can be found here, click on "Attachments" to view: https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch01.html#en_US_2016_publink1000170590

jdpete75

I need to file my 2017 taxes, I purchased the 2017 edition.  Now that it is time to file, I cannot print or see the schedules that are required to be included in the return.

If you are using the 2017 desktop software, one of the choices to make is to print to file by mail.  Then it will print out the pages you need to mail in.  And it will print out mailing instructions, too.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS and/or your state received the return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies