Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

@evolecap - because of your age and you stating that you were once a full time student, it is not clear that you can "claim yourself" - you may be doing more harm than good by amending your tax return..... 

again, forget 2018, it's over.  nothing can be amended. 

for 2019,  CAN someone claim you? let's establish that before we even consider amendments.

1) you were 21 years old on 12/31/19

2) were you a student for more than 5 months of  2019? yes or no.

3) did you pay more than 50% of your expenses to live during 2019?  yes or no.  if no, who did? if you had scholarships, don't consider that. the college expenses are your parent's responsibility and that is part of their expense to support you. 

4) if you state you were not a full time student, during what years were you a full time student as you stated you were earlier in this thread. 

answer those questions and that will begin to define if someone else CAN claim you. 

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

1. I was 20 12/31/19 2. Yes 3. No. My mom did 4. I was a full time student from 2018-2020.

@evolecap - based on your responses, you CAN* be claimed by someone else from 2018-2020.  if you are attemting to amend your tax return for those years to be "claimed independent" that would be inaccurate and false.  DO NOT DO THAT as it opens youself up to liability for submitting an inaccuate and false tax return. 

if you did amend those tax returns and receive any money back, then I would suggest immediately returning the money and re-amending to put everything back the way it was.  It might be worth employing a local professionsl to straighten everything out. 

for 2021: how many months of 2021 were you in college? did you graduate in May and get a full time job and that is why you paid more than 50% of your 2021 expenses? 

does that answer your questions????? 

* whether or not your parents actually claimed you is immaterial.  they have the right to claim or not claim you; the IRS doesn't care.  But that doesn't change the answer to the question the IRS asks the student: CAN you be claimed by someone else? 

Yes I graduated in May, but I find it hard to answer the expenses question b/c the most my mom pays for is rent and food (I live at home). When I have the money I pay more of both or it is split between my siblings who work.

I've had a part time job since 2018. After I graduated I got a full time job for almost 2 months, then another part time job for almost 2 months after that.

My twin got her taxes done by a professional & they told her she could claim herself if our parents hadn't.

Whether I can be claimed was not my concern since the people who can claim me haven't. I was more worried about who has claimed me and why. I have only lived with my mother for almost 20 yrs, so anyone else wouldn't fit the criteria to claim me anyways.

As far as correcting my mess up, if I can't claim the money and the people who are allowed to claim me don't- who gets the money from my taxes?

@evolecap - 

<< My twin got her taxes done by a professional & they told her she could claim herself if our parents hadn't.>>

either your twin misunderstood or the professional is playing loose with the law - and I'd get another professional because at the end of the day it is YOUR tax return - not the profressional's.

you (or your twin) don't have the option to "claim yourself" just because your mother doesn't. Note the check box on YOUR tax return - it says 'I CAN be claimed on someone else's tax return" - it doesn't say "WERE YOU claimed" - see the difference? 

for 2021, your mother CAN claim you as you were a full time student (defined as in school for at least 5 months of the year) and she is paying more than 50% of your expenses (if she is paid your food and rent in 2021 then you would be hard pressed to argue you are paying more than 50% of your expenses)

for 2022, it is straight forward, you can claim yourself and you mother can't.  Once out of school, as long as you make $4300, no one else can claim you.  

<<if I can't claim the money and the people who are allowed to claim me don't- who gets the money from my taxes>>

the rest of us taxpayers, who follow the law, and are asked to pay less  😀

So if I make less than $4300 for this year I still can't claim myself?

So all the tax withholding that comes out of my check doesn't go to me, why?

Thanks for staying on this rollercoaster with me b/c I truly have no one else to ask but google.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/dependents/help/when-do-i-have-to-answer-yes-to-being-claimed-as-a...

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2021 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They're related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They're under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They lived with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They're a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year (exceptions apply).
  • They made less than $4,300 in 2021.
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them. There may be other tax benefits you can get when you claim a dependent.

Related Information:

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

"So if I make less than $4300 for this year I still can't claim myself?"

If you make less than $4300 in 2022 you can still be claimed as a qualifying relative by the person who is providing food and shelter for you, even if you are too old to be a "qualifying child," and are no longer a full-time student.   See the support test linked in this thread. 

"So all the tax withholding that comes out of my check doesn't go to me, why?"

You NEVER get back the amount withheld for Social Security or Medicare.   If you make less than $4300, it is likely that you will get back the amount shown in box 2 of your W-2 for federal tax withheld.   Your state laws regarding box 17 for state tax withheld may vary.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

<<So if I make less than $4300 for this year I still can't claim myself?>>

I'd lose the expression "claim myself".  it's really about whether someone else can claim you. 

it depends if someone else CAN claim you.  Are you living with Mom? are you living on your own?  who is paying more than 50% of your support? it gets a little more complicated.  Over $4300, it's easy, no one else can claim you,.

<<So all the tax withholding that comes out of my check doesn't go to me, why?>>

it does go to you.  you determine your tax liability. gif liabilities are higher than withholdings, you owe the difference on April 15.  if withholdings are higher than liabilities, then the difference is refunded to you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies