Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

I know I was wrongfully claimed, so would the next step be to just wait until the IRS contacts me if I've already sent in the amendment/paper form?

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

@evolecap Yes---you wait.   But it is not clear what you have done.   If your e-file was rejected because someone used your SSN, then filing by mail was your only way to file.  But you should not have "amended" your return.   You just needed to mail in the original Form 1040.   Hope you did not mess up and amend using a Form 1040X.  What did you do?   Why are you referring to an "amendment?"

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I mention an amendment because I thought I was able to be claimed by my parents since I was a full time student and younger than 24. Since neither of my parents have claimed me for years, I amended my return to claim myself/be an independent on my taxes. That's how I found out someone else claimed me but don't know who.

Ok ... if your original efiled return was rejected then you should have mailed in an original form 1040 and not a 1040X.  If that is what you did then the IRS doesn't understand what to do with it since there is nothing  on file to fix   and in 6 months or so they will probably mail it back.  In the mean time mail in an original return now. 

@evolecap - HOLD ON

The question you are asked is CAN you be claimed by someone else.  

Your parents have the option to claim you, but if they don't, that doesn't change your answer to whether they CAN claim you. 

So it may be a moot point to determine who is claiming you.    

Since you are under 24 and a full time student, who is paying more than 50% of your expenses? Expenses means housing, food, utilties, insurance, college costs, etc, etc, etc.  if the answer is someone else is paying more than 50% of your expenses, they you CAN be claimed by someone else and have to check that box on your tax return. 

If someone claimed you, it may well be one of your parents..... how do you really know neither is claiming you? are you sure? 

Good point ... if you can be claimed you cannot file "independent" even if they don't claim you (and they probably did ). 

No that is not my question.

I know they haven't claimed me because I asked them both before filing.I have not lived with my father in over 10 years, so either way I don't think he's able to claim me.

I am no longer a full time student, scholarship money paid my college fees and I pay for at least half of or don't utilize the rest of the things you listed.

My e-file went through as me not getting anything back. After I amended my return the amount changed & I sent in a paper amendment. My state return amount was less than expected so I checked on it and was told someone claimed me.

Okay, good to know. The likelihood that my mother claimed me is nil. I am unsure about my father though.

Ok ... you are confusing us ... if you did efile an original return  then the amendment could take 6 months to a year to process so hang in there. 

It was not rejected which is why I was confused. All of my returns went through the first time, I just didn't get any money back. I thought I screwed up by not claiming myself so I amended my return and sent it through the mail.

*I reread your reply and understand the first part now. You can disregard my first sentence @NCperson 

<<I was able to be claimed by my parents since I was a full time student and younger than 24>>

<<I am no longer a full time student,>>

I am confused by the facts.  that confusion is compromising our ability to help you. 

1) how old were you on 12/31/21?

2) were you a full time student for at least 5 months of 2021? 

3) who paid the rest of your expenses (since you infer you did not pay 100%)

4) if you were not a full time student for at least 5 months of 2021, did you earn more than $4300 for the year?

1. 23 2. No 3. My mom 4. Yes.

I am asking about 2018-2020 though as far as the amendments are concerned. I apologize for not stating that sooner.

My 2021 taxes were accepted electronically, I'm just waiting to receive my federal refund.

@evolecap - it is really hard to help you...you keep adding facts peice-meal with every post.  Now you are telling us you are really asking about 2018-2020 amendments?????

first, if you are seeking a refund of any type for the 2018 tax year, the deadline has passed.  it's 3 years after the filing deadline, so April 15, 2022 was the deadline.   so you are "SOL"

Now, for 2019, why are you attempting to amend?  And since you were 21 that year, were you a full time student? what is the specific question? 

For 2020, why are you attempting to amend?  And since you were 22 that year, were you a full time student? what is the specific question? 

I didn't see a list of things that needed to be stated when asking for help and this is my first time participating in this kind of event. Please excuse my inexperience.

I don't know what age you're supposed to start filing for taxes, as I was not taught anything about taxes in school or after. I should've assumed you'd be talking about this years returns.

I filed at the proper time for each year in question. During the tax season that just passed, the Turbotax website stated that I could amend my returns through the mail as far back as 2018.

I sent an amendment because I was told I can claim myself if no one is claiming me on their taxes. I thought my not having claimed myself was the reason for me not receiving a refund.

I spoke with an IRS representative after finding out someone claimed me and was told to wait until June 5 to contact them for more help. My question is- How long should I wait after the date I was given for updates on my return and what are the next steps I should be taking, if any?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies