Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returns Rejected - 2018 AGI incorrect

I have reentered the 2018 AGI from my 2018 tax return.  I have resent my returns several times.  They keep getting rejected because of the 2018 AGI.  What do I do now?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@johlg2

If the IRS rejected your return because they stated you submitted an incorrect AGI and you are sure you entered a correct one we suggest that you check with the IRS to make sure that the copy of your return is the same as what they have in their records. Sometimes the IRS makes adjustments to tax returns. To do this, you can order a tax return transcript.   Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

113 Replies
LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you are submitting the AGI from your 2018 return and the IRS will not accept your 2018 AGI you can file your return by mail.  Paper returns do not require you prior year AGI for identify verification.

For AGI Reject code 031
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-ind-031-04-or-ind-032-04-the-agi-or-...

When did you file 2018? If it was late in the year try putting in zero for the AGI. And see, https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

How to correct the AGI
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If you can’t get it to efile you will have to print and mail it.
How to mail a return from the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

If I have to use the mail I will look for some other way to do this next year.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@johlg2

If the IRS rejected your return because they stated you submitted an incorrect AGI and you are sure you entered a correct one we suggest that you check with the IRS to make sure that the copy of your return is the same as what they have in their records. Sometimes the IRS makes adjustments to tax returns. To do this, you can order a tax return transcript.   Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

I have this problem with 2019 return.  I logged onto IRS.GOV/transcript and confirmed that all my account transcripts have the same AGI I have in my records.  I file Married filing jointly and the rejection says my spouse's AGI is incorrect.  Turbo Tax does not ask for 2018 AGIs as identification in the version of 2019 software I bought at Costco.  Short of standing in line at the local office, I don't know how to devine what number they want.

MayaD
Expert Alumni

If you are sure you entered the correct AGI and the IRS keeps rejecting your return, print it and mail it in.What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an ...

rtalaber

It is possible that the IRS adjusted your AGI after you submitted it last year so your TurboTax amount will not match.  That is why you may need to contact the IRS to figure it out.  Usually they send you a notification of any changes however.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

If you have verified your AGI as being correct here are  few possible other reasons why you’re still getting an e-file reject. 

If you:

• Filed late last year after mid-November or your return was processed after that time—try entering 0. 

• Amended your return last year—make sure you’re using the AGI from your original return, not the amended one. (If you only have a 1040X form, it’s on line 1, column A). 

• Rounded your AGI to the nearest dollar—be sure to round up when it’s 50 cents or more and down when it’s 49 cents or less. 

• Filed with your spouse last year—you and your spouse have the same 2018 AGI. (Don’t split the AGI amount or enter 0 for one of you). 

If you still are unable to e-file then you should consider filing by mail.  Returns that are rejected for AGI issues when e-filed generally will be accepted when mailed.

This error seems to happen most often, but not only, when the taxpayer died during the tax year.  All the answers here won't help. We are getting boiler plate responses.   I copied the AGI directly from the 2018 IRS transcript and it still said my spouse's AGI didn't match.  There's a glitch based on the number of these questions posted on this website.  Not saying it's TT, just saying that all of us cannot be entering incorrect AGI info.  After three attempts of manually entering the AGI and being rejected, I gave up and went to file by mail.  It sucks because you have to attached paper copies of the W-2 and Form 1099-R. I usually just get electronic copies.  Now I need paper copies.   Grrrrr

I tried to submit my returns 3 times. I am positive I entered the correct AGI. My wife passed away this year and  I think Turbotax is not reporting this correctly. Plus I also paid to efile my state return and the only suggestion Intuit has is that I paper file. What am I paying for? 

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If what you entered is correct and you continue to get a reject, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return.

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

@dsmith4914 wrote:

I tried to submit my returns 3 times. I am positive I entered the correct AGI. My wife passed away this year and  I think Turbotax is not reporting this correctly. Plus I also paid to efile my state return and the only suggestion Intuit has is that I paper file. What am I paying for? 

In most cases the IRS will reject an e-filed tax return if one of the taxpayers on the tax return is deceased.  Regardless of having the correct AGI on the tax return.  In these cases the tax return can only be printed and mailed.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Using the TurboTax online editions there are no e-file fees, federal or state.  The TurboTax account fees are for the use of the software to assist in completing a tax return.  The fees are the same whether a tax return is e-filed or printed for mailing.

If the federal tax return is not e-filed, then the state tax return cannot be e-filed.  This procedure was put in place several years ago to help prevent fraudulent state tax returns from being filed.

Suzansan

I not only have the correct AGI in the return for the joint filing, but it automatically populated in Turbo Tax as it pulls in information from last year's filing.  Why does it keep getting rejected;  it has happened several times and I know it is correct.  I have used Turbo Tax (purchased version) for years and never had an issue with this -- is there a glitch in the 2019 version?  I do not wish to file paper returns, not an option!

I had a similar problem. I assume your spouse died. This has been a problem with Turbotax since at least 2015 going by the community messages.  I did as they suggested and got my transcript from the IRS and everything matches.  There seems to be no way around it. This is just some problem that Turbotax has not seen fit to address. I have to mail mine in.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies