turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Won't let me eFile. After clicking Transmit Returns Now, msg says Tax Program Update Required yet TurboTax says software is up to date. How do I file?

Saved files, opened/closed software and even restarted the laptop.  Still no updates available.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Won't let me eFile. After clicking Transmit Returns Now, msg says Tax Program Update Required yet TurboTax says software is up to date. How do I file?

Have you tried manually updating your software? Help with doing so has been provided for you below. 

Manual Update 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

66 Replies
LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried manually updating your software? Help with doing so has been provided for you below. 

Manual Update 

Maybe one of the forms in your return is not finalized yet, so you need to wait for a yet-to-be-released update before you can file.

Hi Lindsey

Thank you very much for the suggestion and the link..  It worked!  After all these years of using TurboTax I had no idea there was a manual update option.  

Thanks again.

It Works! thanks for this manual update. but how come it's not part of the regular program udpate?

the solution worked perfectly

was it  flaw on the way turbos tax distribute it?

Thanks

ileon44

Manual update does not work.  That update is over a week old.  

Tried on two different computers and still the loop of that I need an update.  

Trying to TRANSMIT RETURNS NOW.  It will not let me.  It says my program is up to date.  

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@ileon44  If you are located in NY or MA, please see the TurboTax FAQ work around below for help with a update available loop.

"There is an update available for your version of TurboTax" loop when e-filing (Windows)

If you are not in NY or MA, please reply back with which state you are in so we may assist further.

Please also see Transmission trouble shooting listed below:

What if Transmit Returns doesn't work?

ileon44

I am in California.  However, I do not think it has to do with the state.  

I tried to submit the Federal on its own and it still does not TRANSMIT. 

Please advise.  

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@ileon44

See the steps in this Turbo Tax FAQ helps.
What if Transmit Returns doesn't work?

ileon44

thank you for trying. 

However those are generic solutions that do not fix my problem.  Cookies are browser based.  I am using TurboTax software Home and Business Application.  So cookies are irrelevant.  Is there pending updates?  I heard potentially form 4835? I wish you guys would give updates on your home screen.  Your manual updates have not been updated for over a week.  Just let us know what is going on?  Instead of haggling trying to install, reinstall this software.  

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

@ileon44 If your tax return includes Form 4835, this is most likely the issue. I have looked up your form and it does not appear to be ready yet. 

Form 4835, Farm Rental Income and Expenses

Print 03/04/2021

E-file 03/04/2021

Please click on Review, on the left menu.  You may see a message "Some of your tax forms are not ready".  Below the message, you can select the link that says "I want to sign up for email notifications. " Below are the expected release dates for the federal forms. When your federal forms are finalized, open Turbo Tax and Click on the Federal, on the left menu, to open and finish your return. 

Please see the TurboTax FAQ below for more information.

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

ileon44

thanks again.  I just stated that form as an example.  But the website you provided is informational.  

I wish the program stated exactly the form I allegedly am waiting for.  It does not say, so therefore, I am in the dark.  

How do you manually update on a Mac computer?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this for troubleshooting tips for updating TurboTax on a MAC: Troubleshoot TurboTax for Mac updating issues

If you still have problems after going through all the troubleshooting tips, contact us for help.

@tothemountaintop

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies