Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why am I receiving corrupt file messages for my PC based 2020 program?

I actually worked for Inuit during the 2018 tax season. Most of the tech problems were relatively easy to fix. I am disappointed in the fact that they couldn’t or wouldn’t devote resources to fix this problem. I started using TurboTax in 2004. Not sure I’m coming back. Web or cloud based tax software should be designed to work with their own desktop programs. I finally got it done last night. I literally deleted the program and all the tax files I created, and reentered everything “fresh” without the imports. The 2019 tax file wouldn’t load, the pdf import made the program corrupt the file. 

so annoyed.

I've had the same issue. Finished return and it did get sent out. I saved to my laptop and an external hard drive. I saved a pdf thankfully. Tried to reopen my return and it said both copies on my hard drive and laptop were corrupted. I tried opening the previous two years. Corrupted

It is statistically improbable at best that in 2022 this many installations are getting corrupted on this many customer installs UNLESS INTUIT HAVE AN ISSUE THAT THEY ARE NOT TELLING US ABOUT?  

Uninstalling and reinstalling TT is a platitude solution.  I have already personally confirmed that my save files DID WORK prior to installing patches.  

This indicates INTUIT have introduced some issue with their patches and are aware of it I suspect?!?

If reinstalling TT is the solution and INTUIT knows it because they are aware of a fault in your own system then please tell me  - at that time I will take that step. 

Until then I simply refuse to accept that 2+ yearly versions of this software have had corrupt installations in the year 2022?!?  I haven't had a corrupted installation of something since the days of having to load multiple CD's and it simply doesn't happen these days with enough frequency for you to blame this on it for more than a tiny handful of cases.

Please let me know if you are actually aware of an issue and if reinstalling is a known fix for that issue!!!  Otherwise I will go on the assumption that you are asking me to "turn it off and on again" hoping it fixes it or I give up.  I will not do that and I expect a reasonable answer from you or your engineering staff!

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

You are posting on an older thread, are you having an issue with installing your software? If so, please provide specific details about what you are experiencing so that we can better assist you. 

You can also see the steps in this TurboTax help article: Troubleshoot installation and running TurboTax for Windows

@jcox7483

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I can't believe a year later I'm still getting emails about this technical problem.   I found a solution, very easy:

I uninstalled TurboTax, got a refund from Costco, and purchased and installed TaxAct.   Worked perfectly.

Will use TaxAct again this year.

@Jmarc   Anytime someone posts on a thread you are on you get an email.   You can unsubscribe to this thread.  And you can turn off email notifications on your forum account.   I post a lot so I don't want to get flooded with emails.  I set it to not get any emails.

@Jmarc I was pointed at this issue as "solved" when I posted a similar issue.  I responded both here and on my issues as this is absolutely not solved. 

I appreciate you moved to another software and I'm about at that point but honestly I don't feel like that's acceptable as a customer of TT.  I believe they are fully aware of the issue here and are not telling us.  I may move to another software but still I demand that they actually answer this issue as a paying customer.

Redc
Level 2

Jmarc -

As a user like yourself, I'm very troubled if last year's issues remain for the 2022 (2021 tax year) versions of TT.  I never felt the corruption issue was finally and adequately resolved.

I'm trying to decide if I want to use TT again - would love to know if you feel TaxAct compares favorably and has the same import and other functions.

i am also having the same issue with corrupted files never had issues before what is going on cant even open my 2020 taxes because it is telling me the same thing

It's not just that there was a technical problem with TurboTax that made me give up and switch to a different software.   There were so many other people posting exactly the same problem with corrupted files and unable to reopen their work and absolutely ZERO technical help from Turbotax.   

Your post is an excellent example.  You seem unaware of the problem and offer no new information, insight, or a fix.   I called and emailed customer support and received no knowledgeable advice.   It seemed the technical support staff skill level was limited to answering the phone.   

Why don't you read through the posted threads and figure out what is going on.  You are asking if we are having an issue installing software?  Can't you read?  Or are you MichelleO (Turbotax Employee) actually a poorly programmed chat bot and not a real person?

This is getting so insane I feel like I'm on a reality show.

Not only is there zero support for a major technical issue that breaks the product - now I'm trying to get a refund and their refund widget on their site simply doesn't work.

I'm trying to call in and there is literally no way to get to a human being to discuss my issue because the phone tree doesn't have one.  It offers to charge me $29 for Tax Support since it thinks I'm using the free TurboTax Online product.  I'm actually a paying customer of TurboTax Advantage and TurboTax Deluxe but I still can't find a way to get a human being on the line.  

This has to be an illegal practice.  I will give them one chance to correct me and if not I will be documenting everything and filing a chargeback on my credit card. 

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

@jcox7483 Please describe your technical issue. We are here to help. You can also try Contact us by phone again.

@NashayLO 

My technical issue with TurboTax is that it keeps corrupting my files and this is the second year it's done so. There is clearly an issue with the product and there appears to be no acknowledgment from anyone that there is even an issue or that anyone is looking into.  I am simply told to re-install TT and cross my fingers it doesn't happen again.  Then I need to redo everything manually and continue to hope that my files don't get corrupted after every update.  Since there is no actual resolution and Intuit does not seem to be working toward a fix, I have been trying to get a refund.

I am unable to get a refund because your refund widget cannot find my order.  I do not have an order number because I received my download link via TurboTax advantage and there was no order number in the email and there is no invoice history anywhere on your site.  Additionally, I tried to lookup the order via my credit card but even though I know the details of the transaction, your lookup returns a failure.  

Finally, I tried to call support but your phone tree does not include a path to a person.  It tried to charge me $29 to speak to a tax expert which is 1) not what I need and 2) idiotic since I paid for TurboTax deluxe and should be able to get support for my payment and for my paid product.  

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@jcox7483

For this, we really recommend speaking to someone directly.  Please try to reach us using the information here that will help to get you to a live agent.  

@HeatherPLO I am trying very hard to speak to someone directly here.  Your "contact us" page simply provides a number to call and a link that circles back to the support site.  There is nowhere for me to enter a ticket/request for someone to call me back.

The link you gave me only redirects me to that contact us page or provides the same useless phone number that will not allow me to talk to a person.

image.png

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies