Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Why am I receiving corrupt file messages for my PC based 2020 program?

@jcox7483

I am sorry.  On this platform, we cannot schedule phone calls.  

You can try the fix suggested here in this thread for further assistance.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@HeatherPLO   Is support closed right now?  Can't get a Contact page or form.  Just gives that general Intuit phone number like when it's closed.  Should be open 5-9 Pacific.  

fabfords

I too have the same issue. I purchased Turbo Tax Deluxe, am running Windows 10 Pro...4 different tax returns all corrupted...I am well above your system minimum requirements.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@fabfords

For further assistance, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.

I had to disable firewall and antivirus during install. I'm not sure which one was the issue, but my saved files didn't show up as corrupt anymore. This worked for current year. I didn't try opening up an older file.

I too am receiving "File Corrupted"
I sat down today to begin my taxes. I installed from the DVD purchased at Costco, then allowed the online update to occur.

I created a new return that had nothing but my name in it and saved, then closed TurboTax.
Reopen the just saved file ... FILE CORRUPTED.
Rinse and repeat 3 more times, same FILE CORRUPTED.

In any case, After re-installing many times I still get FILE CORRUPTED.

I tried to do an online install instead of using the DVD and TurboTax rejected it because it was already registered. Of course it was registered, I registered it!

I just tried the "Superpatch" available from "https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/manually-update-turbotax-for-windows-soft[product ke..."

I now have a tax file that can be reopened, although all attempts to import last years data fails and creates a file that is corrupted.

Apparently if I now create a new return, without imports, it seems to be working but at this point I don't trust it.

Robynfrance
Returning Member

Why am I receiving corrupt file messages for my PC based 2020 program and corrupt 2021 file after working on taxes. I am furious that all my work is for nothing.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

This article will help you troubleshoot the problem.

Corrupt Error Message

shart2

I am also receiving this corrupt file. I could not even transfer from last year file which is now called corrupt even though it was filed ok last year ! Spent over 5 hours trying to get my new tax work saved and told me it was corrupt . There is something wrong with Turbo Tax . I will switch to another tax program next year

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Are you using a Mac or Windows ? @shart2

Robynfrance
Returning Member

My opinion is that these messages are pro-forma, "not my fault" messages from Turbo Tax. There are lots of things not set up to work (transferring files being 1, even though they tell u to save as PDF, those files are not picked up the following year), and so no matter the problem, the message you get it "the files are corrupt". It is outrageous and a huge waste of time when they can't read the files you just completed.

While it is not a satisfying work around, using the online program keeps your files safe. It is annoying as all get-out that they continually try to sell you more stuff while you are working on it, but I just keep saying no. In the end, I finished my taxes that way and submitted them. Ethically, it is blackmail, but at that point, I just want to be done. I do leave a poor review for them, as do others.  Small recopense.

This is clearly an issue they know about and it's clear they simply don't care.  All answers link to a "fix" that isn't a fix, or to "contact us" page that sends you down a phone tree that automatically hangs up on you. 

For the money they make essentially doing nothing but being a glorified calculator, they are obviously trying to pull one over on everyone here.  

I'm looking around for other options and trying TaxAct right now.  It isn't great either but it's not Intuit.

Also - I never did get my refund.  They make it impossible to get which has to be illegal.  

getting it on 2021.   Happens repeatedly.  Did as recommended and reinstalled then also tried on a different pc.  Problem just keeps happening over and over.  Apparently it is time to jump ship and use different software, this is ridiculous, a known problem marked as solved happening over and over to people?

adios, same problem on three different computers, off to H and R Block.  Can't take the aggravation any longer

I'm tagging into this thread because I can't find another that is close to my issue.

I am on a MacBook Pro, having used TT for years on a Mac. I am now using the Home & Business pkg, and have for years. As I was going through the steps to e-file, TT crashed with an "Oh dear" message, telling me it had an issue and to save and relaunch. That never resolved the issue. My file will not open. I loaded the file onto my husband's PC and loaded TT, but I get the message that the file is corrupt.

BUT I got an email from TT the day this happened originally, saying my return was accepted!! Same with the State return. How that's possible, I don't know, since I never got to any of the verification steps, much less confirming where to draw the payment.

When I log into IRS.GOV, there's nowhere to confirm receipt of the return. BUT under Payments, it shows my supposed payment amount??!!

So my question is, how do I confirm my file has been received and can be "used" by the IRS? I can't find a way to talk to them and I can't find any FAQs that address this oddity of being in limbo due to the crash.

I have now redone the return, but do I send it as an original or amended??

I'm really hoping someone at TT can help me navigate this.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies