Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Why am I receiving corrupt file messages for my PC based 2020 program?

Please reach out to us directly at the link here.  This will direct your inquiry to the correct department.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rapatton

I am receiving the same corrupt file notice and have to restart my return.  I do not want to take the risks again and want my purchase price back unless there is a surefire way to resolve NOW.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number hereIf you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Same problem here with Home and Business version.  I have been working on my return on and off since February.  I just today let Turbotax perform an update, and now I'm getting the "looks like your tax file is corrupt, we're having trouble opening your return" message.  This thread gives me the impression that this is neither an isolated nor "solved" issue.   

Update: I worked with customer service and uninstalled/re-installed turbotax, which did not help.  I then tried to repair the installation, but the repair process fails with an error code every time.  Based on my experience plus a lot of other responses in this thread, It sure seems like the update caused the problem.

I am using windows version. Everything was fine when I updated the turbo tax home and business version on 04/10/2021, it started to giving me the message “ Looks like your tax file is corrupt, we are having trouble opening your return. Try opening again. if that doesn’t solve the problem, create a new tax return.”

I have created the new .tax2020 file 3 times, still same problem. I am 100% sure this has happened because of the update. The IT people messed it up. The IT of the turbo tax is not very efficient; they took huge time to add the new unemployment adjustment. Turbo Tax should hire good IT people. Please fix the mess up. 

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Please contact customer support via phone for troubleshooting assistance regarding this matter; contact details can be found here @Jeniv.

I have received this File Corrupt message on 2 tax returns that have already been sent and accepted, but now I can't open any saved files to print and keep a copy for my records.  I will need to reference items from my return next year and am unable to get a copy of them.  I never had a problem before, but this year has been horrible. First I was unable to transfer last years return because there was a password lock added to it that I didn't do so I started from scratch and now I can't access my filed return. This needs to be fixed or I need you to find a way to send me a copy of my return

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Can you still log into your account? If so, sign in to your account, then scroll down and select 'add a state' (this just opens the return back up for you), then navigate to the Print Center under Tools to save all worksheets (saves everything).

This is not a fix, but I have figured out the possible issue.  Let me know if this info helps you...

Hello, I am extremely dissatisfied with the product this year. I had completed about 75-80% of my return and saved the file, thinking I'll finish the next day. Well last night I tried to open my return, and it tells me the file is corrupted. I tried rebooting, I reinstalled the program, it still tells me my return is corrupted and I have to start over.
I did some research on your problem forums and found other people with the same issues, and no one from Turbotax can offer a fix. Well, I think I found a fix, which I shouldn't have had to do. I tried restarting my taxes, saving, closing, reopening-again I get the message that the file is corrupted.
I used Turbotax online last year for my 2019 taxes. I had to run an export of a .2019 file, so I would have something to load into my locally installed Turbotax 2020 version this year. Well that file doesn't load properly, it just won't accept it. So I exported a PDF version of my 2019 taxes, and was able to import that. I can then import some info, start the taxes, but after saving, it will never reopen, it just says its corrupted. So this is the issue--you cannot import a 2019 PDF from turbotax online into a full locally installed 2020 Turbotax. My only option is to start over, and not import anything. This is the only way I can successfully save my return and then reopen it. Please use this info I have provided to help other people and fix your software. I can't believe I had to spend money to buy nonworking software, that can't import its own files from previous years, then troubleshoot my own issue and find my own fix. This is crazy.

I am having the exact same issue.  i have called support on 3/5, no solution but to start over.  i finally decided to do this now (procrastinating) and AGAIN, SAME ISSUE.  This is the second year this has happened.  Telling me to call support, when i already have, really does not solve the issue.  What is the solution?  or tell me the direct person to call, because calling the general support line is not the answer.  uninstalling and reinstalling the program did not help.

what is the solution?  i've used turbo tax for decades.  this will be the last year i use it if it is not resolved.

You have described my problem perfectly. I used online Turbotax SE in 2019. When I tried to import my 2019 tax file, the program did not recognize the file. I imported the PDF (not the best solution, but it's better than nothing). I saved the file to work on later. (time passes). I go in to finish up and I get the "looks like your tax file is corrupt, we are having trouble opening your file. Try reopening again. If that doesn't work...hahahahah..start over". I repeat the steps, and reenter everything (x2). Same result. PAST ANNOYED.

A known problem that hasn't been fixed for over 6 months. That's pathetic. It's also not free free free. It's $120 thrown away.

Taxslayer here I come.

There’s a good chance I’m going to be trying a new program next year also. Support was of no help—just asking me to reinstall the program, etc, which is no help. 

I had to start from scratch and not import anything, which makes the return take even longer.  To make matters worse, it wouldn’t connect to ItsDeductible either, so I had to retype most of my donation information also. 

Seriously has happened to me 3 times! Starting from scratch on my return takes 3.5 hours of my time to get everything re-entered. Not an easy return, as this has never happened in years prior.

Was there actually ever a solution? We had to file our taxes a little later than usual, but I did all the inputs months ago. When I pulled up the file I created back in March, it was corrupt. Started from scratch again, and closed because I needed to do a little extra research on one item. Seriously had to start from scratch again yesterday, the submitted, my return was rejected and needs a couple minor updates on my husbands prior year AGI, and you guessed it... the file is corrupt again!!! This is beyond ridiculous... oh, and I also do multiple family member’s taxes each year. None of the 2019 prior year data loaded. Made this tax season a much heavier lift, and I’m disappointed because I’ve never had an issue like this with TurboTax. 

aprouse71

One on one support is a novel idea that Turbotax does not seem to utilize.  Best I could get after multiple calls is one on computer robot.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies