turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Darla63

Why am I receiving corrupt file messages for my PC based 2020 program?

Exact same story here! My return was the 5th one as allowed for e-filing. 3rd call to tech support and she sending me new software. I hope it works!

I purchased the software TurboTax Premier from Costco on March 7.   Completed and saved my return but did not file.  A week later attempted to open my return for review and to file. Turbotax software was updated.  My return was not able to open, Turbotax reported my return corrupted and suggested starting a new return.   Starting a new return, Turbotax was unable to import prior years return.   Phone support was utterly useless.

Decided to wait until there was another software update, perhaps the problem was the update.  Tried again today, started Turbotax and updated the software.   Still unable to open my return,  Started a new return, at least this time I was able to import last years return.  Completed my return (again), saved it in two different locations, plus saved a PDF version.   Unable to reopen any copies of my return.   What is wrong with this software???

Turbotax:   I am logged in to my account to post this issue so you know who I am and how to contact me.   You have exactly until noon ET 3/22/2021 to contact me with a solution.  After that I will contact Costco for a refund.   This will be my final year using Turbotax.  

Since I have never e-filed and always printed, signed and mailed my return, was able to print the return. This is all fine and dandy, however, learned to not save/close the file prior to printing. All attempts to save and close the file resulted in the corrupt file notification when attempting to reopen. 2019 returns would not import. Please keep in mind that all of my previous year returns were resident on my hard drive, nothing downloaded from TurboTax. There are numerous blogs discussing incompatibility issues with Windows 20H2/Windows Installer and TurboTax. When will a SW patch be available? Are you working with Microsoft to determine the cause? Since I’ve printed and mailed my return, I’m not worried about it now. Many others would like this issue resolved and a patch provided prior to the final hour. I’ll try a test run on 15 April and see if this issue has been corrected. If not, I will no longer be a TurboTax customer.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the solution posted in this thread to assist with this issue. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Please see the solution posted in this thread to assist with this issue.

I understand you are trying to help, however it is the least useful information on this thread. I kept seeing the same thing for almost a month and the issue still occurs.

I was filing taxes on Windows 7 for a couple of years and without any problem. This year I was forced out of Windows 7 by Turbotax and suddenly encounter all the problems.

I am not sure if it is really a Windows 10 problem. Intuit, though you might also be a victim of Windows 10  , you should be able to take actions or addresses concerns rather than dangling people with frustrations.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you are unable to resolve the issue following the instructions above, please click here to contact customer support @oceanwind.

Can't get any help for corrupt file, start a new return.  Just a robot asking the same question over and over and then sending me a link to junk.  I just want to be able to open my file(s) and file my taxes.  I have repaired my download.  I have imported all updates to my downloaded files.  I have deleted and reinstalled my download and all the updates.  I have spent 42 minutes on the phone waiting for a live person with no one answering.  

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach back out to our customer support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Spate1

I have had the same problem.   Created and saved my return but unable to reopen the return.  Tells me the file is corrupt.   I uninstaller and reinstalled the software, still no luck opening the file.   Started a new return and saved it twice in different locations.   Same problem again, not able to reopen, Turbotax claims the file is corrupt.

I spoke with very nice people at tech support who unfortunately did not have a solution.  They promised to email but never did.

Here is the solution:   I called Costco and received a full refund.   The amount of time spent trying to resolve this problem defeated the point of using this software.   It is faster and easier to file manually.   Really, if your income is documented on a W-2 and you have your 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, etc.   it's really not that difficult.   If your income is not in the stratosphere you can use the IRS free file.  Google it.   Don't waste time and money on Turbotax.

Margie111

Why I am receiving corrupt file when I try to reopen file to complete my taxes?  I have never had this happen in the years I have been using turbo tax.

Thank you, Margie

I was all the way to Federal review and had saved periodically as I progressed. Before the review it wanted to do an update, saved my return, but was corrupt after the update and could not open my return. I cannot imagine having to start over again. Really, is that the only answer?

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number hereIf you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Customer service took 45 minutes working on uninstall/reinstall/and start completely over from scratch with advise to not upload from last year. There is no explanation why checking for TurboTax updates created a corruption to my file. Very disappointed.

r2chavez

Same here.  Entered taxes for the 3rd time.  Saved backup in different location, still corrupted.  2019 unable to import.  Multiple issues.  Verified I have the minimum required settings.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies