turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Why am I receiving corrupt file messages for my PC based 2020 program?

I used pencil and paper up until 2017. Hesitated for years about going the software route. Previous versions have worked flawlessly. I really don’t want or have the time to get into the automated question and answer loop, especially when I receive answers unrelated to the fault. Also, no interest to hang on hold for hours. I’ll wait a few day for a software patch to hit the street and if it doesn’t, I’ll go back to the old fashioned pencil and paper method.

I have the same problem as others have reported. I used TurboTax Deluxe. I could not import my 2019 taxes, said the file was password protected, when it wasn't. The forgot password recovery does not work because there is not question provided to give the answer to. I reentered all information, completed and filed my taxes, but I can not reopen my 2020 tax file. I get the error, Your Tax File is Corrupt.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please check the answer provided by SteamTrain, he appears to have found a great workaround to this issue. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Your suggestion does not work, and your suggestion does not address the fact I cannot reopen my 2020 return. Please try again. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If that solution does not work, you will need to contact customer support for further assistance. 

Exact same problem here using Turbo Tax Home and Business 2020.  I prepare & e-file 5 returns annually for my family and myself. I have one tax return that I was unable to transfer data from 2019 tax file (not a pdf). So I entered it manually, saved it, and closed the file. When trying to reopen the tax file, I get this message:  "Looks like your tax file is corrupt, we're having trouble opening your return. Try opening again. If that doesn't solve the problem, create a new tax return."  Trying to reopen the file never works. I have recreated it 3 times now and keep getting the same error message when trying the reopen the file. I finally e-filed the federal on the 3rd creation, saved, and closed the file.  Now I need to check the status of the return and mail the state, but I cannot reopen the file. I have tried all the trouble shooting options I can find on this website and on the internet. NOTHING WORKS!!!!!!  I have been a loyal Turbo Tax customer since 2005 and never encountered anything like this in the past.  This has been a waste of time and money. I'm seriously looking at other options for next year.  

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

If you have tried all the troubleshooting tips posted and nothing is still working, you would want to use the FAQ link posted below to reach out to TurboTax customer support for assistance:

TurboTax customer support

chachazoo

Same here... Keep having to re-enter my information.  Everytime I attempt to save and comeback to my 2020 filing on the CD TurboTax Deluxe software.  It gives me the corrupt message.

Piece of junk without a solution to this issue. 

Okay.  Five (5) times I have entered all the data for my tax forms.  I did not file the last one - late at night and wanted to look in the morning - but of course, saved it.  This morning, and for the fifth time, file corrupt.  !!!! That's a lot of time and typing.  

Having the same issue and heard from CSR two weeks ago that it is an "known" issue.

But it is not fixed yet until today!

I received the same message after installing a required update 1 day after spending 6 hours on my return.  The program also asked me to re-verify my license #.  This is my first time using TurboTax in years, I got the Software because it was supposed to be the best.  I'll spend time uninstalling and reinstalling but I hate to think I have to reenter the tons of data I input again. 

My CPA retired and this into a Turbo S*** Storm. 

In my opinion, It’s becoming fairly obvious that intuit doesn’t care about its customers  I turned in a ticket and the response was, “this isn’t happening to anyone else” my option was we will refund your purchase. It’s obvious this is a problem from all the others showing the same symptoms. At first I thought it was an old incompatible DLL from a previous TurboTax installation, but there was a post where the person had never used TurboTax before. 

We are going to have to solve this for them. I made several attempts with a cd install, and then with a downloaded install. I had three TurboTax installs, 2018, 2019, 2020. 

I will now have to redo my taxes for the third time due to the same reason. The file just shows corrupt when trying to reopen my return. 

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Can you please take a look at this thread here and let us know if this solution works for you?

No that doesn't work.  I keyed in all the data into my desktop version. I am not downloading anything.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies