turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Update is necessary before transmitting return

The Intuit Electronic Filing System is having difficulty recognizing the data in the return you are sending. To ensure you have the latest version of TurboTax, wait 24 hours to update your program automatically. If you still can't transmit your return, go to www.support.turbotax.com for a solution or workaround. In some cases, you may need to file your return by mail. - 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

# ALL MY INFORMATION IS UPLOADED. I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE I CAN DO. PLEASE HELP

This is happening to me in 2021. All the other posts are for 2020 so is this a new problem this year too?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@WIRandy1954

Try this troubleshooting step. There is an update available for your version of TurboTax" loop when e-filing (Windows) Troubleshooting updates

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Bennett33
Returning Member

Any replies to the above mesage

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

There are several errors reported on this thread, what is the error you are receiving?

@Bennett33

Bennett33
Returning Member

Error:  Update is necessary before transmitting return.  Update says my return has the latest update.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@Bennett33

You may get the update message when forms for your federal or state return are not ready or eligible for e-filing. Please click here to check forms availability. 

If all forms are available you may need to do a manual update. Please see this for more information: What is a manual update?

HI,

I'm using TT download basic version for tax year 2020, software release [phone number removed].

I'm experiencing the same issue where I can't transmit my federal tax (I don't have state tax to file).

I'm getting the same error to update the software, but my software is up-to-date.

I checked this post and it seems there is a manual update, however it is an older update for release 19 (which is an older version than the one I currently have).  Can you please advise if there is a new manual update for the TT software for year 2020.  Also is there any plan for TurboTax to fix this issue the right way, since it seems it happened last year (2019) too.  Thanks.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact customer support for assistance with your software update:  What is the TurboTax phone number?

Hi,

After contacting TT support,  the issue was then sent to TT Escalation Team. 

After around 12 hours, I tried again to start my TT "download basic 2020" software, and the software automatically prompted me to start a manual update, which I did.  After 7 minutes, the software was updated successfully.  Then I was able to file my federal taxes successfully.
Hope this info help other users to overcome this issue. 
Thanks

This has been a very frustrating process. We are not really saving by using TurboTax plus like this problem of needing update before being able to complete  efiling  is making  me want to pull my hair out! The complaints expressed by others is also my problem. I just wanted to get this off my system- so nerve wracking!!

I'm here in 2021 having the same problem. I have read probably ever single post and help form about anything even close to this problem for the pass 3 days now and all I've figured out is that I don't think I can fix this my self. I've done everything in my power I believe to fix this myself.

Here is all the info I have about my problem.

Everything says I'm up to date all automatic and manually updates and still can't transmit returns. I've uninstalled and reinstalled TurboTax 2020, Installed it on a new computer now pay twice for the transmit. 

I've tried every troubleshooting post I've seen and nothings has worked.

Tried transmitting return for only federal still same thing. 

I'm in Nebraska with only NE to submit tax info to and using the Deluxe edition for 2020.
I also have had two other famly members use, to my knowledge the same version, and on the same PC, just a month before me and it all worked fine. 

I'm just exhausted at this point and immensely disappointed.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I recommend contacting us using the link below for assistance.

Contact TurboTax

@BossSnake

Ger3-

Can not update Colo return

bansal403
Returning Member

Hello,

I am having same problem, are you able to get any solution?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies