Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Asjic9700

TurboTax updated, now not responding? Why won't it open?

After I updated and paid to efile my state, it rebooted me to the start and now I can’t access my taxes or open Turbo Tax 2019.  To make things worst, my taxes are now late :(.  PLEASE has anyone encountered this problem?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

It depends.  

As long as you have not mailed your return, you can still change to electronically file your return.

See the following for steps to switch from mail to e-file in TurboTax.

Steps to switch from mailing return to e-filing return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I-Question
Returning Member

TurboTax 2020 won't finish install on Mac.  puts Icon in Doc but won't open/finish instal with the submission of License #

Yup.  Same problem.  For TT2019 and Windows 10 Users, do the following... turn off all anti-virus prior to installation.  Uninstall and reinstall TT2019 as necessary.  Upon reinstallation, locate Turbotax.exe in your Program Files (x86) folder.  Right click on this executable file and open Properties.  Goto Compatibility.  Select to run in compatibility mode for Windows 8.  Windows 10 is a 64-bit program that runs similar bit progams natively.  You must use compatibility mode to run TurboTax 2019 in 32-bit mode because it was written as a 32-bit program.  This is and AV interference are why your program isn't opening, or opens and closes right away.  Add the TuboTax 2019 folder and executable file to your "exceptions" list in your AV software so it will leave it alone. Update your TT2019 SW as needed for the latest forms.  You should be good to go.  Mine is working now.  Don't know if a 64-bit TT2019 version was available?  If not, TT needs to recode their program code base for 64-bit.  Yes, it's expensive...  but it's a must if you want to be around tomorrow.  I shudder at how many people TT is letting walk away when folks have a bad installation experience because they are not compatible with modern Laptop/Workstation Hardware/Software.   Many will return their SW in frustration and seek other SW.  Staying current with today's IT trends is rudimentary to TT's going concern.  Folks will grow wise to overpaying for obsolete software.  Admit I bought/downloaded from AMZN website... wonder if 64-bit was an option somewhere?

I cannot get my Turbotax Home & Business 2020 to open on my power mac.  Is this turbo tax version a hunk of junk or what?  If it is no good to me, then I will return it back to Costco for a refund.  My name is Richard Marlowe.  My email address is [email address removed]..  My phone number is [phone number removed].  I can be either emailed or texted.  Hopefully someone can help me.  My Mac Pro software is up to date.  After dragging the turbo tax Icon into the box, nothing else happens.  It is as if the whole thing just dies afterwards.  I even try downloading from the web site but the same thing happen there as well.  I have spent several hours on this problem, and it is a waste of my time.  I tried the turbo tax on both of my power macs, and the same thing happened.  I am about to give up unless I get some help.  Please help me.

Thank You

Richard Marlowe

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Could you try using the FAQ link posted below? If that still does not work, you may need to reach out to TurboTax customer service for further assistance:

TurboTax for Mac won't open when installed

First - please do not post personal information on this public forum - not telling what hackers and spammers are looking.

What happens when you double click on TurboTax on the Applications Folder?    Does the icon in the dock bounce and then quit?   Perhaps your User account is not an administrator account.

if you get the message "TurboTax cannot be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software" then that is caused by the Apple "Gatekeeper" introduced with OS X 10.15 (Catalina).

That has nothing to do with TurboTax and will happen for any application not purchased from the Apple Store.

See this Apple article on this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

And this TurboTax help article: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/turbotax-for-mac-won-t-open-when-installed/00...

For older Mac systems when TurboTax will not open.
See:

Be sure that System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Allow apps downloaded from App Store and identified developers is checked.

Go to the Applications folder and select the TurboTax application in the Finder and right click with the mouse (or control click) ans select the top "open". That should force the first open. After that it should open normally.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899267-administrator-rights-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
celjo
Returning Member

I used turbo tax deluxe. When I tried to open it today to print a tax return, it immediately turns off

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Please try clearing your cookies in your browser and then log back into your TurboTax software.  Many times, this will help clear the issue and allow you to log back in. 

Instructions to clear cookies to restart TurboTax 

@celjo

Ozark1

I struggled with the Home & Business for about 8 hours. All I got was "update" and other nonsensical runarounds.

I finally Uninstalled TurboTax completely. I did not Repair. Repair did not work.

I did a Disk Clean and Reinstalled. 

It updated automatically and I am now finally using it after 10 hours of NONSENSE.

I think it was possibly Win 10 Updates since I originally installed TurboTax.

I received the full update download. I went to install and it says OK, please restart Turbo Tax. Problem is, when you go to restart, it again wants to check for updates and fails to update from the downloaded update provided. I cannot get to the main program. The update screwed up the main program and I do not see where I can download the original program to clear this mess up. Anyone else have this problem?

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Where did you purchase the original software download from @allisond38c ?

need help with this problem

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Can you please provide specific details for the problem you are experiencing?

@tribegreg1

Ran pro series basic completed return and went to save it and received message that program is not responding…what should I do?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies