Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax deleted my return!

Not sure if a Windows update has anything to do with this since there are reported instances that have nothing to do with Windows updates. Since it was awhile between my initial filing and trying to retrieve the file to edit, I could have had at least one Windows update during that time since Windows 10 auto updates unless you tell it not to. But let's say that it does have something to do with Windows (I doubt this) - the problem has existed for at least two years. Intuit has not had time to work with Microsoft to get this fixed? Having your tax records deleted must not be an important issue for Intuit? This is borderline criminal.

@decatom wrote:

Not sure if a Windows update has anything to do with this since there are reported instances that have nothing to do with Windows updates. Since it was awhile between my initial filing and trying to retrieve the file to edit, I could have had at least one Windows update during that time since Windows 10 auto updates unless you tell it not to. But let's say that it does have something to do with Windows (I doubt this) - the problem has existed for at least two years. Intuit has not had time to work with Microsoft to get this fixed? Having your tax records deleted must not be an important issue for Intuit? This is borderline criminal.

I've seen other users report it occasionally, but compared to other issues in a problem-resolution community forum, thankfully it is not as common.   In a user community forum like this, only people with problems will be posting, while millions of other users of TurboTax who have no problems won't post here.  So that's the sense in which I say it is less common.    And the cause is not clear and may not be the same for each person affected.  

And there's never been a good explanation.     Every PC is different with different OS features/customizations, software configurations, etc.   Here's something else to try:

Many Windows users set up multiple local Windows user accounts on their PC, such as having an Admin account and a second (or third) user account for various purposes or various family users.   If you have more than one Windows user account, you need to log into each Windows user account, and do the search of the computer and Recycle Bin in each account.     For example, if I have an Account A and B, have worked on my return in Account A, then later I'm in Account B and launch TurboTax, it will not find the *.taxYYYY data file, nor will a search.

During return preparation I always save a copy of the in-progress *.tax data file to a flash drive after each work session, as a "just in case" maneuver.

I think you are vastly underestimating the extent of this problem.

1. Less than 5% of the actual people that have a problem take the time to report the problem. Most people will deal with this by redoing their taxes from scratch or from a PDF or printed copy.

2. The vast majority of people who file their taxes never look at them again. If people need to provide a tax return, they will get it from printed version or PDF file, not from going back into Turbo Tax. So the 'millions of users' could have a problem that they simply don't know about.

3. Just in the first 3 links of search results for this topic shows over 30 people reporting this same problem with many of them providing details that are remarkably similar. There are 9 other links on this same support topic that I did not even bother going through.

Unfortunately for me, I auto delete my recycle bin on a schedule so I was unable to recover the file from the location most commonly mentioned. Just pissed off beyond belief that this problem has been widely reported for years and NOTHING has been done about it.

My return was just deleted.  I spent over 20 hours entering my information and my computer rebooted and it was gone.  I have never had this happen before.  I hate this software after 20 plus years of using it.  I will look for better options next year. You suck TurboTax!

Ok... hate to tell you this but if you did not save the return before the program closed then the work is gone.  When using the downloaded version it is your responsibility to save as you go either by manually asking for a save as you finish sections or when you close the program you will be prompted to save your progress.  If the program was closed because of a reboot then you did not see the warning.  If you save as you go then you don't have to worry about a program interruption ... worse you need to redo is the last section not the entire return.

This is my mini version of  a tutorial  that should be in the downloaded program: 

What is Forms Mode?

Forms Mode lets you view and make changes to your tax forms "behind the scenes."

If you're adventurous, you can even prepare your return in Forms Mode, but we don't recommend it. You may miss obscure credits and deductions you qualify for, and you may forget to report things that will come back and haunt you later.

Forms Mode is exclusively available in the TurboTax CD/Download software. It is not available in TurboTax Online.

Related Information:

If you want to play around with different figures and tax scenarios without affecting your original return you can ….

• >>>In the TurboTax CD/Download software by creating a test copy
  • 1.  Open your return in TurboTax. 
  • 2.  From the File menu, choose Save As. 
  • 3.  Give the copy a new name to distinguish it from the original (for example, by adding "Test" or "Example" to the file name). 
  • 4. Click  Save. You are now safely working in the test copy and anything you do here will not affect the original. 
  •  https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900642-how-to-make-a-test-copy-of-your-return

• >>  use the WHAT IF tool: 
  • - Click Forms Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 2 (forms view) 
  • - Click on the Open Form Icon 
  • - In the “Type a form name.” area type What-If (with the dash), click on the name of the worksheet - click on Open Form 
  • - You will see the worksheet on the right side of the screen; enter the information right into the form 
  • - To get back to interview mode - click on the Step-by-Step Icon (upper right of screen) or Ctrl 1

It's always a good idea to make a backup copy of your tax data file, in case your original gets lost or corrupted. Here's how:

1. From the File menu in the upper-left corner of TurboTax, choose Save As (Windows) or Save (Mac).
  2. Browse to where you want to save your backup.
    • Tip: If you're saving to a portable device, save it to your computer first to prevent data corruption. Then, after completing Step 4, copy or move the backup file to your device.
  3. In the File name field, enter a name that will distinguish it from the original tax file (for example, add "Backup" or "Copy" to the file name)
  4. Click Save and then close TurboTax.
  5. Restart TurboTax and open the backup copy to make sure it's not corrupted. If you get an error, delete the backup and repeat these steps.

If you make changes to your original tax return file, repeat these steps to ensure your original and backup copies are in-synch.

Related Information:                             

AND save it as a PDF so you have access to a copy even if you don’t have the program still installed and operational :

AND protect the files :

Always remember to shut off the auto update function once you have filed your returns and do not do any updates unless you have safeguarded the PDF & .taxfiles to a removable storage unit for safekeeping.  Click on ONLINE then Update Preferences.... don't be afraid to click on all the  menu headings to find all the goodies that are hiding. 

thedeacon10501
Returning Member

This just happened on 1/26/2021. I had prepared a 2020 return but it was not visible upon reopening the program after the update. I used browse to find the saved file with the suffix tax2020. When I clicked to open it said reading my return but looped back to the blank new return screen without any of the 2020 information which had been entered.  So I have the file but Turbotax will not load it. I called the 800 number and was told I had a wait time of 5 to 10 minutes.  After 8 minutes the obnoxious music stopped but there was no response but it is still connected going on 24 minutes

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Since you had an update, you may need to clear your cache and cookies. Make sure your return is saved in your TurboTax account and then sign out. Clear the cache and delete the cookies on your computer, open a new browser, sign back into your account and try pulling up your information again. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
thedeacon10501
Returning Member

I try that you suggested but it made no difference. The only thing I was able to do was to "trick" the program by creating a dummy 2020 return; closing the program; and then re-opening it. Rather than continuing the dummy return I clicked on find tax data and located the previous the prepared return which it downloaded. Once I had done that I was able to directly open the second return which I prepared using the same process. The same thing occurred on the second update even though it was saving and finding the returns in the directory I had created. I will be interested to see if I need to go through this process with every update. It's a huge hassle.

I have used TT since 2010 and saved every return on my computer and external hd. When I installed TT2020 it erased all my previous tax returns and my two children's also. The program is still there but no returns. I'm having to type everything in from scratch and I cannot believe this. Does anyone know how to fix this? I tried everything in all the threads like forced search but nothing works. TT needs to address this **bleep** problem!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you try to search for your previously saved tax returns? See this FAQ on how to find your tax return file.

If that doesn't resolve your issue, please Contact us!

TTturbtax

Same here!  10+ hours of work on the 2020 tax return.  My wife doesn't understand why it takes so long because she's never had more than a W-2  and hasn't even had that in 5 years.  It's all gone!!!!!  Thanks, TT, you f'n suck!

TTturbtax

I will have to stop using TT as well after years of using it.  This is completely unacceptable.  Now I have to redo the entire thing!

TTturbtax

My answer is:  You are screwed.  Just like I am with my 2020 return.  All the work is gone forever.  **bleep** Turbotax!

Ritab31113
Returning Member

I was not asked to save my return, it was just gone.  

@Ritab31113  wrote:

I was not asked to save my return, it was just gone.  

Are you using Online TurboTax or desktop TurboTax (CD/download)?   If desktop version, Mac or Windows PC, and what operating system version?  

If using desktop TurboTax (CD/download), search the entire computer and the Recycle Bin for any *.tax2020 data file, including a temporary data file that starts with a tilde; for example, ~returnname.tax2020 which is a backup file.

If you're using Online TurboTax, the answer on how to locate an online return would be completely different.

I see you have another thread at this link:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/my-completed-tax-forms-are-lost-i-need-to-find-it...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies