turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tr_4
Level 2

turbotax cd did not save my password correctly

I know turbotax didn't save my password correctly. I have used this same password since the mid 2000's. I open my past accounts with this same password and never a problem. Yesterday I saved a TT file and today I can't open with this password. So I go to use forgot password and it suppose to ask me the question but the pop up has no question to be answered. There's nothing there. So I know theres something wrong with the program.

How can I continue with this file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Please click the TurboTax Help link, listed below, to fill out the Account Recovery Request form. You will need to sign in using the User ID and password you created the account with.  If you no longer have that information please click here and fill out the account recovery request form.  Please click the TurboTax Help link, listed below, to fill out the Account Recovery Request form.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/account-recovery/help/account-recovery-request-for-your-turbotax-a...

Please click the TurboTax Help link, listed below to recover your account if you remember one of the following linked to your account:

• Phone number (recommended)
  • Email address
  • User ID

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/account-recovery/help/forgot-your-turbotax-online-user-id-or-passw...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@tr_4 

I think you are talking about Password Protection for your Desktop tax file, not a Pwd for your account ...

Shut down TTX, do a full computer reboot, and  then try again:

(And make sure the CD is out of the drive...you can't run with the CD inserted)

ANd...run the latest TTX software update too..just in case..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
tr_4
Level 2

I fixed it by uninstalling it and reinstalling the program. No need for the advice any longer.  Thanks

Umpski

I have the same problem with the security question not showing up. I Uninstaller and reinstalled but it didn't help. Not sure what to do. I can't get to my tax forms. 

1)  If you have a pop-up blocker installed make sure you disable that.

2)  IF your old file is on a flash-drive or other off-computer device or on a cloud server...make sure it's copied to your main system's hard disk, and only open it from there.

3)  And, before you try to open that old tax file, you'll need to make sure you have the state software installed that the the former tax file used...and that the software is otherwise fully updated,,,,otherwise having the PWD box available is useless.

4)  Could try the following too:

.......TTX should only be installed and run as an Administrator.....not in some guest account without administrator privileges...but it's hard to know each person's exact setup.

But even if you did that already, there is an internal setting that sometimes needs to be implemented also.

So...Save your tax file and Exit TurboTax....then:

1)  right click TurboTax 2019 icon

2)  Select  … Properties

3)  Select the  Compatibility tab

4) In the "Settings" box … check the box to "Run this program as an administrator"

5) Apply...OK...then restart the program and try again

This has fixed various problems for a number of users now.

Still won't work......then Customer Support on the phone....though I'm not sure even they can fix this one.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
GordieSea

Provide an option to the security question, "What is my best childhood friend?" I put in the only answer possible and it was denied. You provided no other alternatives. First, my answer was correct. Second there was no second security question, MAKES ME VERY ANGRY!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies