turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax 2019 activation lasted one day

How frustrating.  You have my sympathy.  So by PC I assume you mean Windows 10?  While Windows System Restore is not enabled by default on Windows 10 it will still work.  Have you considered trying to regress to an earlier restore point?  Do you have any tools for checking the Windows registry for errors?  Is there another PC for you to try (it's my understanding that you are able to install and activate one copy of TTAX with the same program key on more than one PC).   Had you already loaded one, or more?, state programs before hitting this error?  Did TTAX support provide you with a different activation key to try?  Is your internet connection via WiFi or cable connection to your router/cable-modem and have you tried varying how you connect and/or resetting-rebooting your router/cable-modem?  Did TTAX support explain how program activation uses the key? Is there an Inuit server somewhere which the program on your PC must reach to check/register the program key when activating?  I've been using TTAX since the mid-1990s, spanning many versions of Microsoft OS, but don't recall any earlier versions that required an activation key.  Is it your understanding that this is new for the 2019 tax year?   Lastly, while you've probably already spent too many hours on this and exhausted your tolerance for Googling, this problem apparently is also discussed on this thread.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-my-security-code-to-activate-my-2019-software-...

redfan234

I don't have direct knowledge of this issue, but found these details about my local installation.

I see Intuit data at:

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming  

(I see a license file at the above location)

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local

I see regedit registry data at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE

HKEY_USERS/SOFTWARE

Uninstall, rename away the above data (don't delete, just in case you end up needing it later), and reinstall.

I have run into same problem and can’t do my return now bc I was forced to put the activation code in 5xs on the same computer. Turbotax is going to lose a lot of business over this and I am disputing my purchase on amazon now. TurboTax is supposed to be secure with all the personal identity info it stores, if they can figure out how to tell it’s the same computer being activated over and over again bc their activation process sucks and for some reason forgets the program was already activated on the computer how can they be trusted with our most sensitive data. I don’t have to reactivate any other program upon an update of the software or windows so what’s wrong with their computer geeks and messing the easiest part of programming up. I am done with you turbo tax H&R Block will get my money from now on. Also will be filing a report with BBB for deceptive sales practices and for breaking their own licensing terms and conditions. Do I hear a class action suit in the makings, watch for it because it’s coming.

jaymesd

Did it work?  I have same problem and do not have access to activation code.

I have the same problem for months and I disconnect the external hard drive that attach to my computer and that fix my problem.

I had the same experience. I called and called and called. I guess they are all on a Covid 4 month HOLIDAY this year? Must be nice.

nymw
Returning Member

the software was working fine until I download an update, then it reset itself and will see my computer as a new install. It will say new install and ask you for a code again and stop working if your code used up all 5 PC. If you used your code more than 5 times it stops working or this software will reset it self order and over until it uses all your 5 PC rights and locks you out. there is a program error bug in the software. if your pc clock is off or you change the time zone or work offline, it will ask to download a software update to reset it. the new downloads update will delete the software code and reset the software. turbo tax needs to refund all. this a security defect bug in the software this only happens with untested free software and demo software. My software stop working last night, turbo couldn't help me still waiting for 1days callback. and this website is like a mad person made it, a maze of no help.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've activated and used 2019 for more than 10 months.  Now it's asking me for the activation code.  On the same computer I've always used it on.  Just trying to look at my files.  Ridiculous.

@Anonymous - by any chance did you upgrade Windows to Version 20h2 in the past few months? 

It just happened to me too a couple days ago.  And I'm on Windows 8.1.  After all this time.  

Please use the following link to contact Customer Support for further assistance.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just closed down TT 2019.  I later decided I'd go through the process.  I started it up again, it did the 'updates" (sure hope they didn't affect my returns), and it went merrily on its way without the activation code.  Same everything (computer, windows version, connected drives, etc.) as when it wanted the code.  

I read the activation FAQ before buying TT 2020 this year, and it helped when the one day activation problem recurred this year.

Like last year, activation lasted one day.  However, instead of reactivating, I closed TT 2020, paused my antivirus and firewall, restarted TT 2020, and the activation prompt went away.

If it happens again (it happened twice last year), I should be able to confirm that it's a firewall issue.

From what I've read, H&R Block's activation kicks in with each Federal filing, e-file or print, to limit to five filings, rather than to a hard limit of five installs, as is the case with TurboTax.  As some of us in this thread are losing some/all of our five installs to activation glitches rather than installing on multiple computers, this may be something for TurboTax to consider.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Instead of looking for my activation code when this happened, I just closed TT 2019.  Opened it a few hours later (without deactivating firewall or doing anything else differently) and it wanted me to update (as usual) and then it opened without asking for the activation code.

On 12/04/2020:

I just installed last night  2020 Turbo Tax Home and Business and activated fine, then today I started it up again and it asked for the activation code again.

This is quite annoying and stupid, the same issues were happening last year with TT 2019.

Intuit is the only company that cannot remember which computer was already activated.

What kind of programmers do they hire ?

Manage cookies