turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax 2019 activation lasted one day

I agree with this writer. Same thing is happening now in 2020. Just think. ONE person made the decision to destroy Turbo tax from within. I had to purchase HR Block after years using Turbo tax.

JG08
Level 2

and guess what, when I spoke to Turbo Tax they were so interested and felt terrible... I was told I would receive a call the next day after their research, my phone never rang... 

jordanwaywong777
Returning Member

If I uninstall TurboTax 2019 from a computer, will it increase my computer limit to one more until 5 is reached?

jordanwaywong777
Returning Member

If I uninstall TurboTax 2019 from a computer, will it increase my computer limit to one more until 5 is reached?

No it will not ... the reason for the limit is to stop the use of one program by multiple unrelated people.  If all you had to do is uninstall it one one computer to put it on another one then what is the use of limits? 

If anyone needs to file a return  and you will not let them on your computer then they should use the IRS FREE FILE option instead ... if their AGI is $69K or less there is a program for them here :  https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

JG08
Level 2

REALLY? WHO ARE YOU? WERE YOU SITTING IN MY OFFICE WHEN THIS HAPPENED? 

THIS PROGRAM WAS NOT SHARED, JUST CUT OFF LIKE YOU NEED TO...

I have a slightly different problem and what you have learned might help me.  I want to REMOVE a copy of TTax that's been activated, and used to file a return, and install another copy of TTax with a different activation key.  Uninstalling TTax does not seem to remove the prior activation key.  When you said "searching the computer to see if the software has been activated."  where is TTax searching to see if the software has been activated and how can I remove this indication (Windows 10 home, 64-bit).   Is this a file somewhere?  The registry?  I purchased two separate copies of TTax and would like to remove the 1st copy and re-install the 2nd with it's own separate product key

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

@tomandjerry1 You need to uninstall everything before reinstall. Delete all folders, not just uninstall software. They are hidden. To unhide them choose tools (at top of any folder)  - then folder options - then view then check show hidden files, uncheck when done. 

If you need further assistance with this, you can call TurboTax and speak with an agent.  TurboTax customer service/support does not have a single phone number but has many different phone numbers based on the type of platform used.  So that we can direct your call to the best person/department to help you:

1. Click on this link: Contact Us
  2. Select your TurboTax platform.  
  3. Ask your question / state your problem.  Do NOT use the word "refund' or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.
  4. Click Submit.
  5. On the next screen, choose the Call option and follow the instructions.  You will be given the approximate wait time.  

You'll get a toll-free number to a TurboTax expert who is specially-trained to handle your particular issue.

"Irene2805 Employee Tax Expert"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@tomandjerry1   What are you trying to achieve?  You won't get any more efiles by installing another program.  5 is a IRS limit.  It knows by many things like your isp, email address, computer IP address etc.

daydc

I am having issues as well.  I have used TT for over 15 years now and all of a sudden they blow up the product.  I purchased it online through the Advantage program as I do every year.  I installed TurboTax Deluxe 2019 about a month ago and started my tax return.  Yesterday I tried to reopen TT to finish my return and to do my daughters return and it asked to run updates (nothing out of the ordinary).  However, after the updates finished and TT restarted it wanted me to activate again.  I put in the code and received an error:  There was an error with validating your license code, please try again.  Error code: 630.

I worked with tech support for over an hour and we tried uninstalling, reinstalling, running manual updates and not matter what it got the same error.  So they pushed me a new purchase, download, and code.  I uninstalled everything and tried the new install rebooting after every step from install to updates and still same error when trying to activate.

The tech support person today said only option was to use online version which I don't want to do.  Plus if I use the online version I have to redo everything and was 95% complete.

I don't understand why this latest update blew up the program and why they won't role back the part of the update causing the problem so those that already where working can get back to work.

Thanks for your suggestion, but I am a bit fuzzy regarding "Delete all folders ... including hidden ones".  I believed that I had done that but there must be folders that TTAX has accessed (either created new or reused) to save a copy of the registration key.  I'd really like to have an idea the folder name and/or location that TTAX will have used for saving a copy of the program registration key (so I can delete it).  From your answer, and position as TTAX expert, it sounds like you know for sure that TTAX has not put anything in the Window 10 registry with program key information (which is a big relief since I was reluctant to go messing there).   I've got copies of TTAX on this Win10 PC for earlier years so I don't want to go messing up these earlier TTAX programs by deleting too much in case I need them for any problems which could conceivably occur with those returns).  In  addition to the folder path name I provided as installation time are there other folders TTAX access (like for application data).      Thanks again. TJ

Here's what I'm trying to achieve.  I live in MA and file taxes there (do two returns).  I bought a copy of TTAX on Amazon and installed it on a Win10 PC and downloaded the MA state program.  My sister-in-law lives in CA and bought her own copy of TTAX which she subsequently gave to me so that I could help her with her return (she's recently widowed and I've agreed to help her).   She gave me her copy of TTAX  she also bought on Amazon (so with a separate program key) to use.   If I use  my installed copy of TTAX then I'd need to buy a 2nd state, CA, to be able to file her taxes.  She's already paid for a copy of TTAX which would include a free copy of CA.  So  I'd like to get the installed copy with MA off my PC.  

Regarding "5 is a IRS limit.  It knows by many things like your isp, email address, computer IP address etc.".  This has me a bit confused.  "5 is an IRS limit"  Limit per what; maintained by whom?  All your examples -- ISP, email address, IP address - are not fixed per a particular PC.  If I take my PC to another WiFi network at a friends then the ISP and IP addresses will change.  I actually have more than one email and my sister-in-law has her own email address and account with Intuit which I would use for her eFiling.  The limit of 5 may be an IRS limit but it looks to me that it is Intuit/TTAX that's actually imposing this limit.  If I install two copies of TTAX on two separate computers then there doesn't seem to be anything that would/could prohibit me from eFiling 5 returns  on each installed instance.   So the limit must be per purchased copy o -TTAX, right?  I just need to find a way to remove ALL memory of the 1st purchased copy of TTAX from my PC to be able to start from scratch with the 2nd copy.

Wow daycd, what a nightmare.  Since you've already worked with TTAX support you might have already tried this suggestion, but if you're using a Windows based PC then have you tried using Windows System Restore to regress to an earlier restore point and then re-installing?  The problem you've relayed sure sounds like something got corrupted on the particular computer you're using.   I'm also a long term TTAX user (like back to the mid 1990's, well before eFile and laser printers -- back to the days of filing using the 1040-PC paper format).  I don't know that I'd go so far as to conclude they've "blown up the product" without more information.  Are you using a Window PC, a Max?  Were you installing from CD or download?    Did TTAX support explain what "Error code: 630" means? Is your PC's operating system up to date? 

daydc

I am using a PC, it stays up to date as I am an IT Cybersecurity Professional  and make sure my systems stay patched. Tech Support can't fund what that error code means (supposedly).  It was working fine till it ran the latest update and asked for me to activate again but won't accept the code.  All Tech Support could say was to redo everything online. They also said I'm not the only one with this problem and they don't have a clue on how or when it will be fixe . 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies