Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

johnh48

Tax Year Prior to 2020: turbo tax will not accept by bank account number and routing number. same as last year. tried a new. turbo also claims numbers don't match.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

69 Replies
JohnW222
Expert Alumni

Tax Year Prior to 2020: turbo tax will not accept by bank account number and routing number. same as last year. tried a new. turbo also claims numbers don't match.

If you've confirmed that the bank account number and routing number that you input were correct, and the program still won't accept your entries, you'll need to print and mail your tax return.

Here are a few TurboTax Help articles that might be helpful:

Which number on my check is the routing number?

What if I entered the wrong bank account for direct deposit?

And if it turns out you need to paper-file, please see the TurboTax Help articles "How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?" or .How do I print and mail a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software?as appropriate for guidance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
normalash
Returning Member

this is my first time at electronic submission

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

If you have already e-filed and your return has been accepted by IRS, then you will not be able to change your banking information. Ensure that you haven't e-filed already.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I consider that an unacceptable answer.  Where is the number that they are comparing to stored and how can I edit that number.  I've always copied and pasted those numbers directly from my online banking from Chase.

This happened to me and I went back and looked at my number from the year before that was listed in TurboTax.  The number had two zeros in front of it that were not in my checkbook.  When I went back and entered the account number with two zeros in front, it was accepted.

comedian

I find this unacceptable.  It is the same routing number - I checked! If turbotax is like - tough *^&* - mail it - then Turbotax has lost a customer FOREVER!!!

I am having the same problem. TurboTax is reporting: The account number does not match. Please re-enter. I did not file my taxes yet. I tried the same account number that I used last year, cut and pasted directly from the bank site. Not sure if someone else may have filed my taxes. The IRS2GO app  does not allow you to check if your taxes were filed it just allow you to check the status of taxes already filed.

@hayart 

Stop trying to copy and paste data into the software.  Enter it by keying it in.   The problem you are having is no indication whatsoever that "Someone else may have filed my taxes..."  If you try to e-file and it rejects because of a duplicate Social Security number that could indicate that someone else already used your SSN.  But having trouble entering your bank account is not--you are just using the wrong approach to entering your bank account and routing number.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you very much.

I had also tried entering the number manually with the same results.

And I tried adding two leading zeros as suggested in another post.

@ hayart wrote:

Thank you very much.

I had also tried entering the number manually with the same results.

And I tried adding two leading zeros as suggested in another post.

Only enter leading zeros if your account number actually has leading zeros.

Even though the error says "account", it may be the routing number that is causing the problem.

Are you sure you are using the correct routing number?    In a few states, a few large banks (such as Bank of America in Texas, Florida, Missouri, etc.) can have different routing numbers in different parts of the state, and in those less common circumstances the routing number for ACH electronic deposit may not be the same as the routing number shown on a paper check.    Phone your bank customer service and ask for the electronic ACH direct-deposit routing number for your account, or check its website for the correct routing number that pairs with your account.   Their website may have a FAQ about their routing numbers.  Or if you have online banking, if you log into your bank account, it might tell you the routing number for your particular account there.   As I mentioned, in a few states for a large bank you need the one for ACH electronic deposits in your part of the state, which can differ from the one on the paper check.   Also be sure you aren't using a wire transfer number for the routing number.

This is the same account I used last year. I called the bank to confirm. I am calling the bank to see if they have different routing numbers.

Contacted bank again and walked through the routing number and account number again. They confirmed numbers are correct.

@hayart  wrote:

Contacted bank again and walked through the routing number and account number again. They confirmed numbers are correct.

Sorry you're still having trouble.  It's perplexing, because I don't see how TurboTax would even know if an account number is correct or not.   Occasionally people enter the wrong account number by mistake/ typo and still are able to efile.  It will let one use a different account than the one they used the prior year, so I'm not sure what it's trying to "match", which is why I thought it might be the routing number.     A routing number is 9 digits long and starts with a 0, 1, 2, or 3.

Be sure you are not entering an extra blank character after the account number.  i.e., after you enter the last digit, do not press the space bar.

Other than that, I don't have anything else to suggest.  Someone else might add on this thread, or here's how to speak to TurboTax Customer Support.

Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8 PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form to get a phone number and incident number:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

deslhog

I have used this auto deposit information for the last several years. Verified it is the same as on my checks. Must be a software bug. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies