turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

colavito

Turbo Tax Free File

Can I use Turbo Tax Free File if I must file a Schedule D?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Turbo Tax Free File

There is also The Turbo Tax Free File program which is free for federal and state.  And has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

NOTE:  You will have to setup a new account with a new username and new password or it will take you back to regular Turbo Tax.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things.

AGI $36,000 or less.

Active duty military with AGI of $69,000 or less

OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Free File program, you have to start it at a special website.  Click on the Orange button I Qualify, Let's get Started and set up a NEW account

https://freefile.intuit.com/

View solution in original post

34 Replies

Turbo Tax Free File

There is also The Turbo Tax Free File program which is free for federal and state.  And has more forms than the Federal Free Edition, like Schedules A, B, C , D, E, F, EIC, H, K-1, SE,  etc.

NOTE:  You will have to setup a new account with a new username and new password or it will take you back to regular Turbo Tax.

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things.

AGI $36,000 or less.

Active duty military with AGI of $69,000 or less

OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Free File program, you have to start it at a special website.  Click on the Orange button I Qualify, Let's get Started and set up a NEW account

https://freefile.intuit.com/

colavito

Turbo Tax Free File

Thanks...very much appreciated.

Turbo Tax Free File

After advertised free federal and state filing you want to charge $80.00. Your company lies to customers to lure them in and them charges them. 

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax Free File

Turbo Tax fees you are charged will depend on any add-ons you may have selected when completing your return.

If you selected to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, there may be an additional fee for the Refund Processing Service.

You can view a breakdown of your TurboTax charges by signing in to your online return. Once you have signed in and selected to continue your return, select Tools from the My Account drop-down list in the upper right corner. In the pop-up window, select My Fees to get a breakdown of your TurboTax charges.

You can remove any add-ons before you pay by selecting:

•    Remove upgrade to Deluxe, Premier, or Home & Business

•    Remove MAX

•    Remove Refund Processing Service

•    Remove TurboTax State

•    Remove TurboTax Premium Service

•    Remove TurboTax Federal Free Edition PLUS

Click this link to learn how to remove Premium Fees. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2154391-how-do-i-remove-premium-services-from-my-purchase

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbo Tax Free File

I made 22,000 this year. Used the Turbo tax free. got to the end and it said I had to pay to upgrade. would not let me file. So I went to TaxAct and file through them. FREE. Free federal and Free state and Free city. What a wasted afternoon using turbotax. That is fraud.

Turbo Tax Free File

You must have been required to upgrade at some point and the program would have told you why and you could have denied the upgrade.  

However ... for future reference ... there is the IRS FREE FILE option ... there are 10 different companies which offer a free program on this site but you must link in thru the IRS and not directly at any of those companies directly... this year if you made $69K or less there was a program for you to use ... use the tool to narrow down which ones will work for you ...

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Turbo Tax Free File

We somehow went through the whole tax process on the Free version (we don't qualify) and now can't figure out how to get the info onto the normal paid version without creating a new account and starting over.

Is there an easy way to switch to paid and have the info import without starting over?

Thank you.

Jay

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Turbo Tax Free File

Along the left side of the screen, click Upgrade.

See also this TurboTax Help.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbo Tax Free File

That would be great but there's nothing on mine that says Upgrade (I also thought it would offer some obvious other option to pay).

Options on the left are...Tax home, 2019 taxes, My info, Federal, State, Review, File, Tools, Print, Clear and Start Over.

You could make a lot more money if you offered an upgrade option at this point. Instead, all I get is an Exit to IRS/gov button.

What now?

Turbo Tax Free File

Check out this one.  User OpFor at the end seems like he found a way to upgrade from Free File website.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-don-t-qualify-for-free-file-this-year-as-it-... 

Turbo Tax Free File

It worked. Thanks!

WTW
Returning Member

Turbo Tax Free File

Indeed, it is a waste of time.  Only at the end do you find that Turbo Tax will charge for e-filing the State Tax.  It is deceptive and false.  First time I used Turbo Tax Premier and definitely is the last.

Turbo Tax Free File

@WTW   Sounds like you are using the Desktop program?  This thread is about the online version which is totally different and is priced differently.

In the Desktop program you get one free state PROGRAM download to prepare unlimited state returns. Then each state return (including the first one) is 19.99 to efile, usually goes up to 24.99 March 1. Or you can print and mail state for free.  

Turbo Tax Free File

then why does turbo tax keep advertising totally free but when you get to the end they charge you for filing Federal and state. Credit Karma does not charge not a penny for doing federal and state and filing for the both of them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies