Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbo Tax Free File

IRS Free File can save families money; find tax benefits all for free

IR-2020-15, January 17, 2020

WASHINGTON — IRS Free File can save families, especially those with children, some money in 2020 plus find tax benefits such as the Earned Income Tax Credit. Free File is now available at IRS.gov/freefile.

Since its 2003 debut, Free File has served nearly 57 million taxpayers, saving them $1.7 billion using a very conservative $30 preparation fee. Young families with children are key beneficiaries of Free File, the public-private partnership between the IRS and 10 online tax preparation software providers.

"Free File can save young families money. It offers free software, free electronic filing and free direct deposit which is the fastest way to get a refund," said Ken Corbin, commissioner of IRS' Wage and Investment division.

Whether single or married, the taxpayers' 2019 adjusted gross income must be $69,000 or less to be eligible for free online tax preparation through Free File. Free File can help families find the tax credits and deduction they are due such as EITC. By answering a few questions, taxpayers can find out if they're eligible for EITC and other family-related tax benefits.

The IRS will begin processing tax returns on January 27. Most refunds are issued within 21 days. With Free File, you can even use any digital device, personal computer, tablet or smart phone. Free File products are mobile enabled so you can do your taxes on your smart phone or tablet and e-File with your hand-held device.

Here's how Free File works:

1. Go to gov/freefileto see all Free File options.
  2. Browse each of the 10 offers or use a "look up" tool to help you find the right product. Each Free File partner sets its own eligibility standards generally based on income, age and state residency. But if your adjusted gross income was $69,000 or less, you will find at least one free product to use. Two products are in Spanish.
  3. Select a provider and follow the links to their web page to begin your tax return.
  4. Complete and e-file your tax return only if you have all the income and deduction records you need. The fastest way to get a refund is by filing electronically and selecting direct deposit. If you owe, use direct pay or electronic options.

You do not have to be EITC eligible in order to qualify for Free File. Any individual or married couple that meets the income limitation can qualify. First-time filers or college students are key users. Military personnel who meet the income requirement can use any of nine partner products. And seniors who want to file the new Form 1040-SR because they are over 65 and taking the standard deduction also can use Free File.

Remember, if you meet the income requirement you will find at least one free online product. To avoid fees for state tax returns, look for a partner that offers free state tax return preparation or check out your state's tax agency website to see if they are members of the State Free File program.

Turbo Tax Free File

I'm being charged for certain  things  I  didn't not want to  purchase.  How can I get my refund 

Turbo Tax Free File

Cancel with your credit card company and let them know what happen. Yea they lie they say free filing and when you get to the end of doing your taxes then they charge you Lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Credit  Karma Totally FREE I Mean Free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turbo Tax Free File

@Joseph7071977  wrote:

I'm being charged for certain  things  I  didn't not want to  purchase.  How can I get my refund 

See this TurboTax support FAQ for checking your fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/how-do-i-review-my-fees-in-turbotax-online/0...

See this TurboTax support FAQ for removing fees - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/what-can-i-do-to-reduce-my-fees/01/26051

Turbo Tax Free File

Cancel with your credit card company and let them know what happen. Yea they lie they say free filing and when you get to the end of doing your taxes then they charge you Lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Credit  Karma Totally FREE I Mean Free !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark61443

Turbo Tax Free File

Prepared taxes on here need the for intuit free file in stead of turbo tax

Turbo Tax Free File

@Mark61443 

To qualify for the Free File website  you just need to meet one of these 3 things.

AGI $39,000 or less.

Active duty military with AGI of $72,000 or less

OR qualify for EIC (earned income credit.)

In order to use the Free File program, you have to start it at a special website.  Click on Sign in at the top right.  It may let you continue your return so you don't have to start over.

https://freefile.intuit.com/

How to switch to the Free File website

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/downgrading/help/how-do-i-switch-to-turbotax-free-file-program/01/...

Turbo Tax Free File

Are you crazy Credit Karma is totally free. you are scam military making 72,000 when they can go to credit karma and they can file federal and state for 100% totally free. Your a scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mandimay

Turbo Tax Free File

I realize this might be amidst all the responses or other questions but I don't have a lot of time. 

Years ago I used to file for free on turbo tax (if I qualified financially that year-and usually). After my divorce when doing my taxes starting on here again (2016 or 2017) I would just log on to turbo tax, complete everything and it would always put me in the deluxe category. I have never made $39,000.00 myself. So THIS year, I realized it's a separate LINK for free filing. I had assumed based on wages/income that the program determined automatically if you could file for free. Apparently not!  So for the past three/four years I've used deluxe instead of free filing; is there any way Turbo Tax will reimburse what's been paid out??? I realize this was my mistake...but I thought Turbo Tax placed you in the "category" you belonged in for filing. It had been a long time since I had used the program. 

Turbo Tax Free File

Sign on to Credit Karma totally free Federal and State Taxes to File.  

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax Free File

Please click the link below for the best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Samsz1

Turbo Tax Free File

TurboTax was supposed to let me file for free but I ended up having to spend $140 to file. I’m disappointed and won’t be using in the future

WadeA95

Turbo Tax Free File

Hello my name is Wade Alexander and I tried doing my taxes on y'all's free program. At the end of my deductions it said I didnt qualify and I tried to do them on the app and it wouldn't let me continue any further. What should I do cause I'm stuck and it keeps rerouting me to an irs page

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Turbo Tax Free File

Are you using TurboTax Free Edition or TurboTax IRS Free File Program?

Please see this FAQ for a description of both: What's the difference between IRS Free File Program and Free Edition?

@WadeA95

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Turbo Tax Free File

You offered me to file taxes free of charge and you are charging me why?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies