turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I don't qualify for Free File this year as it turns out. I don't want to re-enter everything. How do I just upgrade to a paid version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

29 Replies

Tax Year Prior to 2020: I don't qualify for Free File this year as it turns out. I don't want to re-enter everything. How do I just upgrade to a paid version?

7/12/20   NOTE:  THIS IS AN OLD ANSWER FROM LAST YEAR AND IS NO LONGER APPLICABLE.   This year it is possible to switch. Scroll to the latest comments in this thread on how to switch from IRS Free File Program back to regular Online TurboTax while keeping the same account and your data.  Or here's a link with my recent comments on the steps for the current method:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-don-t-qualify-for-free-file-this-year-as-it-...

Remember a lot of threads in this forum were started in previous years and have old information in them.

OLD OUTDATED ANSWER from last year

This answer assumes you are referring to the TurboTax Free File Program at this website:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/taxfreedom/

Unfortunately you can't do that.  You can't just upgrade to a paid edition from the TurboTax Free File Program.   There are no  upgrades in the TurboTax Free File Program, and if you use the same account (same User ID), it will keep putting you right back in the Free File Program.

There are a couple of options.  To use Online TurboTax, you'd have to start over in another account with a new User ID.

OR if you don't want to start over, you could download the *.tax2018 data file from your Free File Program, then purchase 2018 desktop software (CD/download) to finish your return and file.

rgowens

Thank you

I could not find the information anywhere else. It was driving me crazy. There is no way to upgrade; no explaination, just a link to the IRS.gov website? 

Again, Thank you

That is right.  There is NO way to upgrade from Free File to a paid version.  The IRS does not allow it.  If you need to use a paid version you have to start all over in a different account with a different user ID.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

There are 2 different Free versions.  Turbo Tax Free Edition and the IRS Free File website.  If you don't qualify for the Free File website you might be able to use Turbo Tax Free Edition.  Although the Free Edition is limited in other ways.

Why didn't you qualify?

See the first paragraph - no upgrades are available for Free File website

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-s-the-difference-between-free-file-pr...

You need to set up a new account and new username and password.   But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

@rgowens 

If you didn't qualify for the Free File Program and want to still use an online product, you can use a different account (User ID) as mentioned above.   Or if you don't want to start over in a different Online account, you can download the *.tax2018 data file from the Free File Program and then finish it in purchased software.

To get the *.tax2018 data file, see this FAQ:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/saving/help/how-do-i-save-my-turbotax-online-return-as-a-tax-data-...

To purchase desktop software directly from TurboTax, see this page:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

See this FAQ on how to open the *.tax2018 data file in the software.  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-th...

NOTE:  As mentioned in that FAQ, if your *.tax2018 data file has a state return in it,  you'll need to download the state program into your software before opening the file, or you'll get an error notice until you do.   To do that, you can start a new dummy 2018 return in the software just long enough to download the state program.   Then you can delete the dummy return.

Been using turbotax since 2000, and now I have to change my account to use it? That is the dumbest thing in the world.  How hard can it be to allow users to change to the paid version?

The IRS does not allow users to switch from Free File to a paid version in the same account.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks, but that's such a draconian rule. The IRS must think low income equals low IQ.

I found this message thread because I was searching for an answer on how to do this.  I finally found it and wanted to post it in case others find it too.

1.  Go to https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/compare/online/
2.  Click "help me choose"
3.  Select the options that apply to your situation

4.  Click "start for free" of whatever product you want to use when it gives you the suggestions

After that, it asked how I did my taxes last year.  I selected Turbo Tax, then it had me sign in.  Once I was signed in, it asked if I was sure I wanted to change to a commercial product and not use the free file program.  I selected yes, clicked ok, and I was back into the normal system and out of the free file system.

@OpFor 

Thanks for that info.  It does sound like that method would have the advantage of keeping the same account (User ID).    When you moved back to a commercial product, did it let you continue the return you had already started at the TurboTax IRS Free File website? i.e., did it keep the information you had entered, or did it require that you start over?   Many folks who have to leave the IRS Free File Program don't want to have to start over.  

Did you have to start over after switching?  Or did it maintain your data.  Even if starting over, keeping the same account (User ID) would be an advantage.

Thank you!!!!!

MayaD
Employee Tax Expert

To upgrade to a higher version of TurboTax after you've started your 2019 return:

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Select Upgrade in the menu on the left side of the screen.
  3. Select the version you'd like to upgrade to.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@mesquitebean 

Yes, it pulled everything in that I had already done from before!  Kept the same user ID, same information, everything.  Just like I never accidentally got into the free file system.

Sorry for the slow reply, the notification someone mentioned me went to junk email.

WKins2
Expert Alumni

Just want to be sure that you were able to get the upgrade you needed by:

1. Log in to your account.
  2. Select Upgrade in the menu on the left side of the screen.
  3. Select the version you'd like to upgrade to.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies