turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

"This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."

I tried to download my turbo tax on this computer but could not do so as I only had windows 7 and not Windows 10. I bought new lap top with Windows 10.  When I tried installing turbo tax it told me my license code was already associated with an account and I am unable to download turbo tax 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

"This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads."

Please contact TurboTax support for assistance, because we are unable to assist with this issue over the public forum. 

What is the TurboTax phone number? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Same thing happening with my CD that i got for my continuing subscription from TurboTax. 

NCS
Level 2

Got a very helpful Turbotax rep on the phone.  She explained that there was a hiccup in the TT  2020 setup, which required a 2nd license code to install it on my laptop after I'd initially installed it to my desktop.  Now I'm all set (no charge for the 2nd license code).

Per the rep, if I'd downloaded to my laptop using the license code on my CD/DVD folder FIRST, then installed TT to my desktop using my CD/DVD reader, I would not have had the issue.

Next year, I hope to remember to download to my laptop FIRST, then install to my desktop.

If you are an advantage member and ordered TurboTax on a CD, you also get the downloadable version ... To access, sign in to your TurboTax Advantage account and select Downloads.

I bought a physical CD of Home & Business Edition and installed it on my computer. I'd thought my brother would be able to share the same license code but when he went to download, it returned with the message "This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads." Why? I thought the code was good for at least 5 different filings (5 different computers?). Is that not true?

Yes that is a problem.  You have to call in and get a new License Code and download put in your  account.

Contact Customer Service

(You need to pick the CD/Download program in the product drop down box.) 
5am-5pm Pacific Time Monday -Friday
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

What is the Turbo Tax phone number
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

All, 

Wanted to share my experience to resolve this issue. 

Issue: Purchased TT Home & Business 2020 edition from Amazon - bought the CD install. I installed this to my personal computer with no issues. Gave the license code to my brother to download onto his computer and it returned with "This license code has already been associated with an account. Please check that account and look for it in Downloads." - preventing him from downloading.

Option 1 to resolve - call the TT help line (thanks everyone for this - Volvo Girl in particular)

Unfortunately, I ended up spending a total of 3.5 hours on the phone with 2 different reps, 1 of whom was pretty clueless. In the end, they issued out a new license code to enable downloads.

Option 2 to resolve - i figured this out while on hold from TT support. 

I made a copy of the program files from the install CD and shared it via Dropbox. My brother was able to download them and install (run setup.exe) using the existing license code that came with the original purchase. I highly suggest this route unless you want to spend time with TT support.

Basically, in the end, I did NOT need to get a new license code from TT support! Hope this helps at least 1 person with similar issues here.

NCS
Level 2

Got a very helpful Turbotax rep on the phone.  She explained that there was a hiccup in the TT  2020 setup, which required a 2nd license code to install it on my laptop after I'd initially installed it to my desktop.  Now I'm all set (no charge for the 2nd license code).

Per the rep, if I'd downloaded to my laptop using the license code on my CD/DVD folder FIRST, then installed TT to my desktop using my CD/DVD reader, I would not have had the issue.

Next year, I hope to remember to download to my laptop FIRST, then install to my desktop.

I called turbotax support.  I was on the phone with them for 35 minutes.  I explained everything discussed on this forum.  They told me they couldn't help me and I would have to return the disks to Costco.  This is unacceptable.

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

If you receive an error code that says, "The license code you entered is not valid. Error code: XXX", it means the code you're entering is either not valid for that product or is no longer active. Check that you're entering the code exactly as it appears on your CD insert or copy and paste it directly from your Downloads.

If you receive a error code with a message saying, “All available activations for that code have been used,” that means your code has already been used the maximum number of times, and therefore can’t be used to install the software on another computer. TurboTax can be installed on up to five computers using the same license code.

If you receive either one of these errors, wait a few minutes and re-enter your license code:

• Sorry, we're experiencing a problem on our end. Please try again later. Error code: 620
  • There was an error with validating your license code, please try again later. Error code: 630

If you’re still having trouble with your code, Contact us.

I have the exact same issue. Purchased TurboTax Deluxe 2020 CD from Costco. When my son tried to download on his laptop using my license code (as he has no CD drive), it gives the error "This license code is associated with an account". This error message pops up even if he logs into my account and tries to download.

Looks like several people have the same issue.

I have been on their support line for over 30 minutes now. 

First, many thanks to those of you that have posted their difficulty with this Turbo Tax failure and thanks to those that have posted useful insights. If you cannot download despite having purchased a CD w/a download option, please post and/or contact Turbo Tax so they get the message (maybe simply opt to notify Turbo Tax and use the workaround noted below).

The PROBLEM: Since there is no official word from Turbo Tax we are left to guess. When I view this thread, page 2 has postings by @rickkel and @macuser_22 that seem to have the best information/theory (phantom or fake accounts established with CD installs). I'm a little hesitant to write this because of @macuser_22's comment (seems very knowledgeable!), but I fail to see why this cannot be corrected. It seems like the key is what happens when the CD installation reaches out to the Turbo Tax server. What the server does can be altered independent of what is on the CD. Perhaps Turbo Tax could give the installer the option to associate the license code with their account (create one if needed). Notify the user that there is no download option unless the license code is associated with their account. Even if there is a flaw in this approach, these types of problems are generally solvable IF you want to solve them. @macuser_22, if you read this, what is “MODS”?

WORK AROUND: @tomlamiam noted that if you use something like Dropbox to send the installation files off of the CD from the computer with the CD drive to the other computer, then you don’t need to go through the download process. I had to use a similar method to get the files to a family member away from home (sorry for not posting – I was afraid Turbo Tax would see it as a loophole and somehow close it). Turbo Tax would not allow the download to be accessed from their location.

WORK AROUND for the future (that’s because if you are reading this, you probably already have a problem and you cannot go backwards in time): @NCS note that the CD can be used for downloads and CD installations if and only if you do all the downloads first. Then do your installations from the CD.

"SOLUTION" through Turbo Tax: Call Turbo Tax and hope to get a competent customer service representative that will supply you with a new license code that can be used for downloads (NOTE: they will likely void the license code that came with the CD).

Disappointing that Turbo Tax hasn’t solved this issue. It has been a documented problem for weeks, but users are still spending significant time on the phone with customer service (some with unsatisfactory service). Posts by users and even some Turbo Tax employees reflect a Turbo Tax organization that appears to be either oblivious to the problems this error has caused or callous to them. Turbo Tax appears to have no regard for user’s time with respect to this issue. There is no official post here from Turbo Tax admitting a problem, no apology for the frustration and wasted time, and judging by some recent posts, there are no clear instructions to Turbo Tax customer support staff . . . some employees are still suggesting the problem is not with Turbo Tax.

Side note, I have no idea what the requirements are to become level 15 poster, but it might be worth reviewing the standards. There are a few level 15 posts that simply add to the frustration of those seeking answers to their current problem.

MODS = the Moderators of this forum.  The designated Champs have direct access to the Moderators.  

Thank you @VolvoGirl 👍👍

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies