turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

larry2358

Software Problem Upon start up I try to open and get message Turbo tax is already runningunder another account switch usersand run TT from the other account to continue. Error 70001 Help want to do taxes!

Upon start up I try to open and get message Turbo tax is already running under another account switch users and run TT from the other account to continue. Error 70001 Help want to do taxes!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Software Problem Upon start up I try to open and get message Turbo tax is already runningunder another account switch usersand run TT from the other account to continue. Error 70001 Help want to do taxes!

This is a spontaneous connectivity issue that typically resolves itself as long as your connection to TurboTax remains intact while the process you are working on completes.

Solution

If the issue doesn't resolve on its own, close TurboTax, restart your computer, and reopen TurboTax.

If that doesn't solve your problem:

1. Make sure you aren't on a work computer. (Most work computers have a strong security firewall that can blocking TurboTax from accessing the Internet.)
  2. Check your firewall (like Windows Defender, Bitdefender, or AVG). Make sure it's not blocking TurboTax from accessing the internet.
  3. Run TurboTax as an administrator.
  4. Ensure TurboTax is up-to-date.

To reset your Internet connection:

1. Turn off your computer, your router, and your cable modem, in that order.
  2. Wait a minute, then turn your modem back on.
  3. Wait another minute, then turn your router back on.
  4. Once your router is back up, turn your computer back on and try logging in again.

Related Information:

Source: TurboTax FAQ

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
cjbnd1978

I tried all the solutions to this "spontaneous connection issue you recommend.  I sent 3 messages to you last week about this problem.  No response at all.  (Do any human beings at Intuit actually see these messages?) I waited a week to see if an update might fix the problem.  It did not.  Decided to return the CD I bought and exchange it for another.  I had the same results with the second CD.  I tried using both the first and second license codes to download instead of loading from the CD.  Same results.  I have used TurboTax exclusively for well over a decade and I have TT 2011 - 2019 still loaded on my computer - and have never had a problem using it.  

Specifically, when I click on anything to start on the state return, the program immediately aborts.  When I click on the Update or Start button to enter certain deductions the program immediately aborts.  Another version of TT is not running on my computer.  I will wait until January 16, to hear from you about how to really fix this and/or will load the latest update that day.  If the problem persists I will return the software for credit and switch to H&R Block or some other tax software, and won't be purchasing your product again.

@cjbnd1978 wrote:

I tried all the solutions to this "spontaneous connection issue you recommend.  I sent 3 messages to you last week about this problem.  No response at all.  (Do any human beings at Intuit actually see these messages?) I waited a week to see if an update might fix the problem.  It did not.  Decided to return the CD I bought and exchange it for another.  I had the same results with the second CD.  I tried using both the first and second license codes to download instead of loading from the CD.  Same results.  I have used TurboTax exclusively for well over a decade and I have TT 2011 - 2019 still loaded on my computer - and have never had a problem using it.  

Specifically, when I click on anything to start on the state return, the program immediately aborts.  When I click on the Update or Start button to enter certain deductions the program immediately aborts.  Another version of TT is not running on my computer.  I will wait until January 16, to hear from you about how to really fix this and/or will load the latest update that day.  If the problem persists I will return the software for credit and switch to H&R Block or some other tax software, and won't be purchasing your product again.

TurboTax support does not have an email address.

This is your first and only message on this TurboTax user forum.

TurboTax support is open from 5am to 5pm Pacific time, Monday thru Friday

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

Or -

Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Or -

Use this phone number and select TurboTax - 1-800-4-INTUIT (1-800-446-8848)

lottjc1

Error 70001

Hints did not solve problems, this issue appeared following the last update.

I have the same settings on my computer as I have had for the past three years operating this computer.  

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the Help Article here for assistance with Error Code 70001.  

@stewartd43

canadaypc2
Returning Member

Using CD Turbo Tax. 

I went thru the steps in https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/error-code-70001-[product key removed...

but it has not worked. I also uninstalled then re-installed, no success. 

I successfully completed one return, exited Turbo Tax and now cannot get back in. 

"Turbo Tax is already running under another account. Switch users and run Turbo Tax from the other account to continue.   Error 70001" 

Help?! 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

So we can take a closer look at your specific situation, please reach out to us directly using the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@canadaypc2

canadaypc2
Returning Member

So I kept looking around for a solution in this forum. 

This one worked! 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/start-windows-in-selective-startup-mode/00/26089

Thank you! 

canadaypc2
Returning Member

I kept searching for a solution. 

this one worked - 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/start-windows-in-selective-startup-mode/00/26089

Thank you. 

Ebony A
Intuit Alumni

Glad to hear that you were able to get your issue resolved - thanks for the update and for providing what worked for you @canadaypc2 .

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies