Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule 8812

Why is Turbo Tax generating Schedule 8812 when we have no children or other dependents?  I can't find a way to indicate that it does not apply.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Schedule 8812

I have no child dependents either and found that I could finally get rid of the error by entering zeros in the form and saving it.  

View solution in original post

48 Replies

Schedule 8812

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

Delete Schedule 8812

Schedule 8812

I can delete the form, but when I run smart check the program puts it back and requires an answer.  One question I found says that it will show up when one child has an ITIN.  This is a joint return with no dependents, although the spouse has an ITIN.  Is the program reacting to this in error?

Schedule 8812

@MPalm1 wrote:

I can delete the form, but when I run smart check the program puts it back and requires an answer.  One question I found says that it will show up when one child has an ITIN.  This is a joint return with no dependents, although the spouse has an ITIN.  Is the program reacting to this in error?

You should be filing a Joint tax return with your spouse and DO NOT enter them as a dependent.  If you have not entered anyone as a dependent on your tax return and the program still asks about the schedule 8812 you should clear and start over.

If you have not paid for the online edition you are using, have not filed your tax return or registered the Free edition, then you can clear your return and start over. Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the program screen while working on the 2021 online tax return. Click on Clear & Start Over.

Schedule 8812

This is my son's return which we are doing.  It is a joint return, done on desk top version, not online version.  Since so much information is carried over from year to year, we do not want to delete and start over.  His spouse has NEVER been declared as a dependent, so it seems that the program is making an error by insisting we input something on Schedule 8812.  This is frustrating.

Schedule 8812

I have no child dependents either and found that I could finally get rid of the error by entering zeros in the form and saving it.  

Schedule 8812

I also was finally able to enter 0 on the form the day after I posted my question and get rid of the error message, but the first times I tried to do that, the program would not accept the 0, so I don't know why it finally worked.  Still seems like it was a glitch.  The question should not even arise if the return does not include dependents.

Schedule 8812

same problem here.  no kids, no dependents of any kind, wife is not shown as a dependent.  i can delete the schedule but the error check wants to put it back in.  ???????????

Schedule 8812

yes, and while that satisfies the error check it does not solve the problem.

RaifH
Expert Alumni

Schedule 8812

In 2021, everyone is being asked to confirm that they did not receive any Advanced Child Tax Credit payments even if they are not claiming any children on their return. To confirm you did not receive any advance payments:

1. In the Federal section of your return, go to Deductions & Credits
  2. Scroll down to You and Your Family and click Revisit/Start next to Advance payments, Child and Other Dependent Tax Credits
  3. Click Continue
  4. Answer Let's start with where you spent the most time in 2021.
  5. Answer No to Did you receive any advance Child Tax Credit payments in 2021?

@rk911 

Schedule 8812

Even after correcting as advised, the state return is still saying it cannot be efiled because a dependent doesnt have a SSN.  There is no dependent.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Schedule 8812

Make sure there are no dependents listed on your federal return first.   You can double check this in the Personal Info section or by previewing your Form 1040.   Those instructions are for the Online versions.  If you are using the desktop version, use Forms Mode to view any of your forms.      

If there are no dependents listed, there maybe something stuck on Form 8812.   You can fix this by going through the Child Tax Credit section in TurboTax.    To get back to this section to review it, search for Child Tax Credit and use the Jump to Child Tax Credit link to be taken to those questions and go through carefully making sure to indicate (for you and your spouse if applicable) payments were on zero children.  Make sure that field(s) has a 0 and not any other number.   

After you walk through the Child Tax / Advance payments questions, go back over your state return again.  

@trcoffman01

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Schedule 8812

After entering zero for the advance credit, I still had a problem with the very last step, Filing.  The following procedure allowed me to complete my filing.

If you are using the CD version, go to forms option in top left corner

Scroll down to form 8812.

Erase $1,000 advance payment

Exit out of form using left arrow

You should now be able to complete your taxes.

refboy

Schedule 8812

That worked. Thanks.

bb911

Schedule 8812

could not find tax tools menu upper left..

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies