Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Schedule 8812

@bb911 Which version of Turbo Tax are you currently using?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Schedule 8812

No kids. No dependents, and Sch 8812 throws an error on the federal error check.

Why is this still a problem?

Schedule 8812

@Telos wrote:

No kids. No dependents, and Sch 8812 throws an error on the federal error check.

Why is this still a problem?

Everyone is being asked this question since TurboTax does not know if the user was one who received these advances from the IRS in 2021.

Enter a 0 (zero) when asked to enter a number on the Schedule 8812. This will correct the issue and remove the Schedule 8812 from your tax return so that you can file the return.

Schedule 8812

why not ask the question earlier in the interview???  

Schedule 8812

@rk911 wrote:

why not ask the question earlier in the interview???  

I agree.  If I was programming this I would have asked the question right after the user completed the Deductions & Credit section if they did not complete the Child and Other Dependent Tax Credit sub-section.  But have no way to know the thinking of the TurboTax programmers.

Schedule 8812

Everybody filing a tax return in 2021 has to answer the question of whether they received advance child tax credit payments. 

You would not have received the letter 6419 since you had no dependents/kids.

1. Sign in to TurboTax and open or continue your return.
  2. Search for Child Tax Credit and Continue.
  3. Answer the question on the Let's start with where you spent the most time in 2021 screen and Continue.
  4. On the Tell us about any advance Child Tax Credit payments screen, answer NO,
  5.  Continue.

For more information click on the link below

Advance Child Tax Credit

Schedule 8812

This should be marked as the best answer. Thank you, RaifH!

Schedule 8812

LoganathanB wrote:

"Everybody filing a tax return in 2021 has to answer the question of whether they received advance child tax credit payments. "

OK, but the interview doesn't pose THAT question. 

When a TT user following the interview through the DEDUCTIONS AND CREDITS section the user is asked...DO YOU WANT TO SEE IF YOU QUALIFY FOR THESE CREDITS?  Among the credits listed is the CHILD AND OTHER DEPENDENTS TAX CREDITS.  Those of us that have no dependents and who otherwise know that we do not qualify for any of the other listed credits have answered NO to this question.  There is no reason to answer YES.  Answering NO takes us out of that section and onto the next.   And doing that sets us up for the error check surprise. 

If every tax filer MUST answer the child tax credit question, then every taxpayer, regardless of how they answer the above question, should be directed to that section, advised that everyone must answer regardless of their dependent status and then provided the YES/NO choice.   

The interview must be adjusted.

Schedule 8812

I entered -0- for Child Credit and continue to get the same error asking for the advance payment received.

This appears to be a problem with the TurboTax Program.

What else can we do to proceed?

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Schedule 8812

Go back through the interview and make sure that you didn't answer yes to any of the questions regarding the advance child tax credit by mistake.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Schedule 8812

I verified all items were entered as 0 for the You and Your Family section and continue to get the error.

I am disappointed but am entering a new return to see if it clears.  Super disappointed to enter all itemized information again.

Schedule 8812

To get rid of the error I went into the Deductions Credit section and completed the forms for the Child care credit and the child tax credit. Ended up with 0 being shown. But this eliminated the error.

Schedule 8812

that's a work-around, not a solution.

JohnPAZ

Schedule 8812

Worked for me.

Schedule 8812

Why is Turbo Tax requiring Schedule 8812 when we have no dependents and have listed none?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies