turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

rtayek
Returning Member

Reject Code IND-031-04

still no fix my return

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Reject Code IND-031-04

@rtayek  Have you tried to enter 0?  Since many tax returns were delayed in 2019, there are more than a few people for whom doing this has worked.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Reject Code IND-031-04

I received this error message after e-filing my 2020 return thru TurboTax Desktop.  I checked to make sure the AGI matched last year's return (from my saved PDF) and it did.  I did notice that I had inadvertently entered my wife's Driver's License expiration date incorrectly.  I corrected that and tried again.  Still got the same message that the return was rejected for the same reason.  I talked with TurboTax support twice.  The first person just walked me thru the E-filing steps in TurboTax and had me submit it again (with no changes).  I was skeptical but he assured me it would go through this time.  It didn't.  Same error.  I talked with a second rep.  He suggested I mail the return.  I wasn't ready to give up that easy.  I created an account at IRS.gov and requested an online transcript for 2019.  I looked at both the transcript as received and the account transcript.  Both transcripts had the same AGI amount that I had already used (in other words they matched).  I tried calling the IRS and after about 7 layers of choices I got the message that I would get the next available agent and my wait time was approximately two minutes.  After about two minutes I got the recorded message "Your call cannot be completed.  Please try again later".  So finally I changed the AGI from last year's return to zero and transmitted the returned again (4th time).  Bingo - they were accepted. Not sure what the problem is.  Probably a bug in TurboTax, the E-File software, or the IRS computers/database.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Reject Code IND-031-04

The latter.  The IRS got way behind with processing last year, and they are still digging out.  In any case, I'm glad you were able to fix this @st940692.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JADPrice

Reject Code IND-031-04

I had the same situation. I was getting the IND-031-04 error code as well, even thought my AGI was correct. I downloaded my 2019 Tax Return Transcript as well to confirm. It was the same as on my 2019 return. 

After multiple times entering the AGI on my return, efiling and getting rejected, I entered $0 for the AGI as TT suggested. It was accepted.

rtayek
Returning Member

Reject Code IND-031-04

no. my agi is correct.

rtayek
Returning Member

Reject Code IND-031-04

thanks. i may try that. current plan is to print and mail.

Kavon3866

Reject Code IND-031-04

Posting the strategy from Efile Rejections on 2020 joint return (after about 15 Attempts) that worked for me .  Since this error code sugg a discrepancy with my wife's ID information, I tried all suggestions I could find, including entering '0' or blank for AGI.  I went to Forms mode in TT and on the Pers Info worksheet, blanked out last year Pins and the pins for this year.  I checked the IRS transcripts for 2019 that showed our AGI info for our joint return was CORRECT THE ENTIRE TIME.  

Finally, in the EFile steps, I said my wife DID NOT  file a return last year and reentered both PINs for this year.  ACCEPTED!

Clearly the IRS Database does NOT MATCH the transcript information, which means they are causing this problem, not us.  Instead of addressing it, the solutions regularly mentioned are to check OUR INFORMATION as WE MUST HAVE MADE A MISTAKE.  Nope.  Hope this helps someone. 

rtayek
Returning Member

Reject Code IND-031-04

i finally gave up and juts mailed them. getting a refund, but have not heard from them.

checking online says i have incorrect info.

maybe i fell into a crack or the mail got lost.

did anyone else just mail them in and hear nothing?

thanks.

Reject Code IND-031-04

@rtayek

MAILED RETURNS

Per the IRS:

COVID-19 Mail Processing Delays

It’s taking us longer to process mailed documents including:

• Paper tax returns, and
  • All tax return related correspondence.

We are processing all mail in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

It can take 3-4 weeks  (or a LOT longer since the IRS is severely backlogged) for anything to show up on the IRS site when you mail a tax return.  Expect at least several months for complete processing of a mailed return and probably MUCH longer.

If  you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s. 

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

When the IRS opens its mail and begins to process mailed returns you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

If you are wondering if you should send your return again——the IRS does not want you to file a second time.   Putting two tax returns into the system at the same time can lead to confusion and even more delays.   If you did not use tracking and do not know if the return was received—-you have to make your own judgement call and decide if you want to risk further delay by sending the return again.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
rtayek
Returning Member

Reject Code IND-031-04

it's been almost 4 months. maybe it's still in the works. thanks.

dpetroske

Reject Code IND-031-04

Please help me to get this corrected

Reject Code IND-031-04

@dpetroske   Get what corrected?  Did your efile reject for the AGI?

ENTER 0 FOR AGI. The IRS took a long time last year to process 2019 returns so the AGI didn't get entered in time.

When did you file 2019? If it was late in the year or you mailed it, try putting in 0 (zero) for the AGI. And see, https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge...

How to correct the AGI
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If you can’t get it to efile you will have to print and mail it.
How to mail a return from the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

For AGI Reject code 031
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-reject-ind-031-04-or-ind-032-04-the-agi-or-...

FredMundt

Reject Code IND-031-04

Iss there any way to recover the PINs from the 2020 return file to verify that the correct PINs have been used for the 2021 file that keeps getting rejected?

Reject Code IND-031-04

It may not be that your pin is incorrect.  Had a problem last year filing that kept getting rejected and our problem was the previous year's AGI.  Had to enter 0 because the IRS had not completed the return in time to use the AGI.  I would suggest you log into your account on IRS.com and view your last year's info.  Pay attention to the date it was accepted by IRS (ours was almost 8 months later than our filing date).  If that is the reason than you just need to enter 0 for the previous year's AGI and it should get accepted.  They are so far behind it very well could be the same issue.  Hope this helps

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies