turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

KatieH
Community Manager

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and extension thread

For the latest updates, refer to this article: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/articles/community-news-announcements/is-the-tax-deadline-delayed-...

This Help Article is also available for reference:

How are my taxes affected by Covid-19?

Post your questions here for expert answers to help us guide each other during these unprecedented times.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

14 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

@MikeVito  

You cannot change the date since you already filed & it was accepted.  You can cancel the payment & then pay on the IRS website or by check.

If you’ve already filed your federal taxes with TurboTax

You can’t change your payment date in TurboTax after your return has been accepted but you can cancel it and make other payment arrangements with the IRS.

Federal tax direct debit payments can be canceled up to 2 business days prior to the debit date. To cancel, call the IRS on (888) 353-4537, but please wait 7-10 days after your return has been accepted.

Then, to schedule a new payment, go to the IRS Direct Pay site.

State taxes

For your state direct debit payment, contact your state directly.

You can also pay by check.  You will need the Federal payment voucher 1040-V to mail with your check.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040v.pdf

--------------------------------

For others:

How do I change my payment date?

You have a 90 day extension, until July 15, to pay your federal income taxes this year.

If you haven’t filed your federal taxes with TurboTax yet

Select Pay by check as your payment method and mail it in before July 15, 2020.

View solution in original post

@vanlanckton wrote:

I filed my federal return electronically and scheduled payment electronically for April 14. I now want to delay payment until July 14. How do I do that?

You will have to cancel the payment and then pay the federal taxes owed on the IRS payment website on or before July 15, 2020.

IRS website for information on canceling a direct debit payment -https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.

Go to this IRS payment website and choose Direct Pay - https://www.irs.gov/payments

@danoffl wrote:

Hi I am an F-1 student and I have to physically mail my fed and state return and I owe $5 to the state. Does this tax date extension apply to me as well? Do I have time until July 15 to send my tax returns and the check? Thanks!

It depends on your state.  Many states have not made a decision to move the date to match the federal dates.

See this TurboTax blog post for information - https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/is-the-tax-deadline-delayed-what-to-know-about-coronavirus...

Really $5 ???  You can't just pay by 4/15 to be on the safe side ?  You need an extra 3 months for just $5 ?

@Vickie5  For the stimulus money, the IRS is only going by what is on your 2019 return (or 2018 return if you did not file a 2019 return), you will receive a check in the mail when there is no direct deposit information or the information is incorrect on your return you filed.  If the banking information is incorrect or your account is closed, you will automatically be switched to receiving a check in the mail.

There is no way to update your banking information, the IRS is not going to make changes to returns, & they will not ask how you want your stimulus money.  

@mtyler01  Yes, the IRS will use the banking information you have on your return to deposit your stimulus money.

@Agthorne  You should put in a change of address with the IRS, checks from the government usually are not forwarded.

Go to the following IRS website to change your address:

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes/address-changes

@Lilballer2393  I have put in a question to the TurboTax Moderators asking about the users who used the Refund Processing Service.  As soon as I get an answer, I will post it here.

You don't have to do anything to receive the stimulus money (except to file a 2019 return, or if you did not file a 2019 return, the IRS will use information from a 2018 return)

@Bruce79 wrote:

Are there any changes to when Roth IRA contributions must be made? Usually by April 15th - has this been extended?

IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/filing-and-payment-deadlines-questions-and-answers

A17. Yes. Contributions can be made to your IRA, for a particular year, at any time during the year or by the due date for filing your return for that year. Because the due date for filing Federal income tax returns has been postponed to July 15, the deadline for making contributions to your IRA for 2019 is also extended to July 15, 2020. For more details on IRA contributions, see Publication 590-A, Contributions to Individual Retirement Arrangements (IRAs).

@Jr1997 

Since you filed a 2019 return, the IRS will use the information from your 2019 return to receive the stimulus check.  Since you were not a dependent on someone else's tax's return for 2019 you should receive the stimulus check if you qualify.  

This is who is eligible for a stimulus payment

The amount you'll receive will depend on your total income in 2019 or 2018. If you qualify, you'll receive one payment. Here's who qualifies:

• If you're a single US resident and have an adjusted gross income less than $99,000
  • If you file as the head of a household and earn under $146,500
  • If you file jointly without children and earn less than $198,000

How much you'll get as a single taxpayer

A single US resident must have a Social Security number and an AGI under $75,000 to receive the full amount of $1,200. The sum decreases as your AGI goes up. If your adjusted gross income reaches $99,000, you won't be eligible for the stimulus. 

@kayencinias If the IRS processes his 2019 return before the stimulus money is set, then he will get the dependent stimulus money.  If they don't process his 2019 return, then they will use your 2019 return for you & his 2018 return for him.

The stimulus money is an  ‘advance’ to a special tax credit that’ll appear on the tax return you file in 2021 for the 2020 tax year — a tax credit that wouldn’t have been there if it wasn’t for these stimulus checks. You can still get it on your 2020 tax return filed in 2021.

@gwwmaw   You cannot do anything about it now but for most Americans, stimulus payments are based on adjusted gross income reported on 2018 and 2019 tax returns. The payment is technically an advance on a tax credit that offsets your 2020 tax liability.  So when you file your 2020 tax return in 2021, you may still qualify for the stimulus money which would be on your 2020 tax return.

You can't blame TurboTax for glitches in the IRS Get My Payment.  TurboTax has nothing to do with the IRS app.  The following is from the IRS.

The Get My Payment application will return "Payment Status Not Available" for several reasons, including:

• You are required to file a tax return, but:
    • We haven't finished processing your 2019 return
    • The application doesn't yet have your data; we’re working on adding more data to allow more people to use it.
  • You don't usually file a return, and:
    • You used Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here but we haven’t processed your entry yet
    • You receive an SSA or RRB Form 1099 or SSI or VA benefits; information has not been loaded onto our systems yet for people who don’t normally file a tax return.
    • You’re not eligible for a payment (see Eligibility).

We update Get My Payment data once per day, overnight so there is no need to check more often. If you are eligible for a payment and have provided your information either through a recent tax return or the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here application, please check back for updates.

342 Replies

I'm nearly done with my tax return. Since I owe a few thousand bucks, I need set up a direct debit payment date.

According to TurboTax's On Demand Tax Guide, "the requested payment date should not be later than April 15, 2020".

Since Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin just announced that the IRS will waive interest and penalty charges for 90 days for Americans who owe up to $1 million in taxes. Does this mean that I can safely set the direct debit payment date to some time in July, say, July 15th?

Thanks!

I have the same question

@hyfeng wrote:

I'm nearly done with my tax return. Since I owe a few thousand bucks, I need set up a direct debit payment date.

According to TurboTax's On Demand Tax Guide, "the requested payment date should not be later than April 15, 2020".

Since Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin just announced that the IRS will waive interest and penalty charges for 90 days for Americans who owe up to $1 million in taxes. Does this mean that I can safely set the direct debit payment date to some time in July, say, July 15th?

First, nothing is official yet, despite the president's announcement.  Watch the IRS web site here

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

or Turbotax's blog here,

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/articles/community-news-announcements/is-the-tax-deadline-delayed-...

What has been proposed is a delay of the payment deadline if you owe a payment, but not a delay of the filing deadline.  (But nothing is official yet.)

Second, you should expect that if the IRS changes the payment deadline, it will take at least 2 weeks to program the change into Turbotax and release a new update.  

What you can do now is select in Turbotax, "I will pay by mail."  Then whenever you are ready, mail a check or make a direct payment at the IRS web site irs.gov/payments.  You can pay be direct debit from your bank account for free, or use a credit card and pay a service charge.  It would be your responsibility to pay "on time", whatever that turns out to be. 

Bees
Level 7

CNBC is reporting on March 17  that there will be a 3 month delay

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/treasury-and-irs-to-delay-tax-deadline-by-90-days.html

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

@Bees wrote:

CNBC is reporting on March 17  that there will be a 3 month delay

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/treasury-and-irs-to-delay-tax-deadline-by-90-days.html

Yes but there are unanswered questions.  It won't be official until the IRS releases a notice, and it will still take time for Turbotax to program a change to allow a debit date post-4/15. 

I have already filed my taxes and owe to the Feds.  I put in a date of 4/15 to have monies withdrawn from my account.  If we do get the delay to pay, will I be able to change this date?

@vltouchstone wrote:

I have already filed my taxes and owe to the Feds.  I put in a date of 4/15 to have monies withdrawn from my account.  If we do get the delay to pay, will I be able to change this date?

It is just to soon to be able to answer that question.  Within a day or two the information will be released and we all will know the particulars.

My personal opinion is that no you cannot change the date since the tax return has already been filed and accepted by the IRS.  You would have to cancel the payment and then pay the taxes owed at later date on or before July 15, 2020.  But we all will have to wait and see for the exact instructions from the IRS.

See this TurboTax blog post for the latest TurboTax information - https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-news/is-the-tax-deadline-delayed-what-to-know-about-coronavirus...

RobertG
Expert Alumni

At this point, we don't know.

We do not currently have the capability to change the auto debit date, or enter a date after 4/15.

An announcement will be made when we do.

@vltouchstone

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@vltouchstone wrote:

There is no way in Turbotax to change the date once you have transmitted your return. 

The IRS has a phone number to cancel or change payment dates, assuming that someone answers.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/pay-taxes-by-electronic-funds-withdrawal

You could also ask your bank to block the withdrawal, and then mail a check or make a payment on the IRS web site before the new deadline.  But the IRS will charge you a "bounced check fee" if they try to make an electronic withdrawal and it is blocked. 

• Once your return is accepted, information pertaining to your payment, such as account information, payment date, or amount, cannot be changed. If changes are needed, the only option is to cancel the payment and choose another payment method.
  • Call IRS e-file Payment Services 24/7 at 1-888-353-4537 to inquire about or cancel your payment, but please wait 7 to 10 days after your return was accepted before calling.
  • Cancellation requests must be received no later than 11:59 p.m. ET two business days prior to the scheduled payment date.
Bees
Level 7

@hyfeng   You can say that you are paying by check and then wait until last minute to see what regulations will be.  Then use https://www.irs.gov/payments  . 

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
mflo23
Returning Member

I filed my taxes , had them accepted and set up my bank to have the money I owe taken out 4/15. How do I go about defer payment for that extra 90 days. Will TurboTax have a procedure in place to do that???

The IRS already had a method in place ... has for years ... once you have successfully filed Turbotax is no longer involved so expect no help from them ...

what if you e-filed already,IRS accepted and you set up a direct debit for 4/15/20 for the amount you owe and you want to change the direct debit date to 7/15/20  as per the government/IRS proclamation? What is the procedure to get that accomplished?

Manage cookies