How are my taxes affected by COVID-19? - Community

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
Get the latest stimulus news and tax filing updates.
Intuit

How are my taxes affected by COVID-19?

Due to COVID-19, the IRS is currently not able to process individual paper tax returns. Paper returns will be processed by the IRS once processing centers are able to reopen but you should e-file if possible. If you’ve already filed via paper and it hasn’t been processed yet, don’t file a second tax return. For more info, visit the IRS.

If you're looking for info on Stimulus Payments, go here.

The Treasury announced, at the direction of the President, that the federal tax deadline is extended to July 15, 2020.

Taxpayers getting a refund are encouraged to e-file their taxes now as the IRS is continuing to process refunds as normal. TurboTax is open and ready to help you easily and accurately file your taxes.

Federal tax payments have also been deferred, interest and penalty free, until July 15. This deferment also applies to tax year 2020 estimated tax payments previously due April 15 and June 15.

Check with your state to see if their deadline has changed.

The federal tax deadline has been extended to July 15. Federal tax payments have also been deferred, penalty and interest free, until July 15.

As of today, the IRS has not declared any changes to payments, penalties, or interest for prior year tax year.

The IRS expects to continue to process refunds as normal. They typically issue 9 out of 10 refunds within 21 days of acceptance if you e-file with direct deposit.

As of today, the IRS has not declared the COVID-19 outbreak as a qualifying natural disaster.

The July 15 deferment also applies to first- and second-quarter 2020 estimated income tax payments, formerly due April 15 and June 15.

In order to ensure the protection, privacy, and security of customer account information, TurboTax is only able to assist account owners in accessing their account.

Yes! If you can’t visit with your usual tax preparer, consider TurboTax Live. It includes unlimited tax advice for a specific area on your tax return or you can even hand off your tax return for a line-by-line service. And, your taxes are guaranteed to be done right.

Yes. Because the due date for filing Federal income tax returns has been postponed to July 15, the deadline for making contributions to your IRA for 2019 is also extended to July 15, 2020.

If you need more time beyond the extended July 15 deadline, you can use TurboTax Easy Extension to file a federal extension until October 15. You’ll have to check with your state about their extension submission requirements.

You still must pay any taxes due by July 15 to avoid penalties or interest.

Stimulus payments will be based on information from your most recently-filed 2019 or 2018 tax return.

If your refund was direct-deposited, your stimulus payment will be deposited into the same account. If you got a check, owed money, or you had a $0 balance when you filed, the IRS will either mail a check or a prepaid debit card to the address you used on your most recently-filed 2019 or 2018 return. Go here for more info about the IRS stimulus payment cards.

If you didn't file a 2018 and 2019 return and receive Social Security benefits, you’ll automatically receive the stimulus payment with your benefits. However, if you're not on Social Security and didn't file a 2018 and 2019 return, you'll need to register with the IRS to receive your payment. Go here to do that with TurboTax.

Go here for more information about the stimulus package.

Yes. If you owe the IRS this year, for a previous year, or if you’re on an installment plan, you’ll still get your stimulus payment. The law says no offsets for existing federal tax debts, with one exception: child support. If you owe child support, your stimulus payment can be seized for the outstanding amount.

More information

How do I change my payment date?

Where can I find my direct deposit account information after I've e-filed?

Track your federal refund here.

How do I track my state refund?

What do I need to know about the coronavirus stimulus package?

How will the stimulus package impact me?

Tax information updates during COVID-19

Join the community discussion on COVID-19

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post