How are my taxes affected by COVID-19? - Community

EnglishEN

Pick a language

English Français
TurboTax has your taxes covered during coronavirus. Stay up-to-date on the latest tax info here.
Intuit
,Created with Sketch.679 helpful votes

How are my taxes affected by COVID-19?

The Treasury announced, at the direction of the President, that the federal tax deadline is extended to July 15, 2020.

Taxpayers getting a refund are encouraged to e-file their taxes now as the IRS is continuing to process refunds as normal. TurboTax is open and ready to help you easily and accurately file your taxes.

Federal tax payments have also been deferred, interest and penalty free, until July 15. This deferment also applies to tax year 2020 estimated tax payments previously due on April, 15, 2020.

Check with your state to see if their deadline has changed.

The federal tax deadline has been extended to July 15. Federal tax payments have also been deferred, penalty and interest free, until July 15.

As of today, the IRS has not declared any changes to payments, penalties, or interest for prior year tax year.

The IRS expects to continue to process refunds as normal. They typically issue 9 out of 10 refunds within 21 days of acceptance if you e-file with direct deposit.

As of today, the IRS has not declared the COVID-19 outbreak as a qualifying natural disaster.

Federal tax payments have been deferred, penalty and interest free, until July 15. This deferment also applies to first quarter 2020 estimated income tax payments which are postponed from April 15 to July 15, 2020.

Second quarter 2020 estimated income tax payments are still due on June 15, 2020.

In order to ensure the protection, privacy, and security of customer account information, TurboTax is only able to assist account owners in accessing their account.

Yes! If you can’t visit with your usual tax preparer, consider TurboTax Live. It includes unlimited tax advice for a specific area on your tax return or you can even hand off your tax return for a line-by-line service. And, your taxes are guaranteed to be done right.

Yes. Because the due date for filing Federal income tax returns has been postponed to July 15, the deadline for making contributions to your IRA for 2019 is also extended to July 15, 2020.

If you need more time beyond the extended July 15 deadline, you can use TurboTax Easy Extension to file a federal extension until October 15. You’ll have to check with your state about their extension submission requirements.

You still must pay any taxes due by July 15 to avoid penalties or interest.

As of today, the coronavirus stimulus package, or CARES act, has not been passed. Follow this blog post for the latest information on tax deadlines, relief, and legislation, including the stimulus package, in response to coronavirus.

More information

How do I change my payment date?

Where can I find my direct deposit account information after I've e-filed?

Track your federal refund here.

How do I track my state refund?

What do I need to know about the coronavirus stimulus package?

How will the stimulus package impact me?

Tax information updates during COVID-19

Join the community discussion on COVID-19

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post