Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

mtyler01

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and extension thread

I filed with turbo tax will the stimulus money still go to my bank account I used for turbotax.

Thanks

@mtyler01  Yes, the IRS will use the banking information you have on your return to deposit your stimulus money.

If you have moved since you filed your 2019 tax return will a postal forwarding order forward your stimulus check to your new residence? 

@Agthorne  You should put in a change of address with the IRS, checks from the government usually are not forwarded.

Go to the following IRS website to change your address:

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/address-changes/address-changes

I have 2 questions.

1. I filed through turbo tax app with my bank account. Will they use that information?

2. Do I have to file or submit anything for stimulus check or will it just magically be in my bank account one day. 

Can i use form 8332 to give someone permission to claim my grandson since they made more and yes he was with them atleast 183 night's. Will this work with a audit? Also if his address on everything was mine how do we prove he stayed with them? Will i written statement Or form for temp guardianship that's notarized work?  Trying to fiqure this out and online it don't help when you can't find what your looking for. 

@Lilballer2393  I have put in a question to the TurboTax Moderators asking about the users who used the Refund Processing Service.  As soon as I get an answer, I will post it here.

You don't have to do anything to receive the stimulus money (except to file a 2019 return, or if you did not file a 2019 return, the IRS will use information from a 2018 return)

I found this on Santa Barbara TPG’s website for those people who had their fees taken out of their returns.  

https://www.sbtpg.com/coronavirus-stimulus-payment-info/

The fact that SBTPG is "working with the IRS" is a good sign. As I said earlier, in 2008 using refund transfer (RT) or RAL providers (like SBBT, now SBTPG) meant you got a paper check; but with RALs gone and even "refund advances" usually for less than the full refund, RT providers can actually help the IRS get the stimulus out faster than the Treasury's paper check printing facilities (even more limited now than in 2008).

IMO, the most likely solution will be for the IRS to send the money to SBTPG, then SBTPG will send it on to the customer just like a refund (hopefully at no extra charge). Even beyond TurboTax customers, it would work best for customers of other EROs who use RT but receive their money by other methods, such as an ERO-printed check or cash pickup at Walmart. (One of SBTPG's competitors even offers cryptocurrency as a refund option this year.) SBTPG sending its direct deposit info to the IRS might work for TurboTax customers, but not for these other people (and could easily violate financial privacy laws).

Something else to address a thread on the main forum: In this respect, the Turbo Card is no different from any other bank account or prepaid card. If you had no TurboTax fees (i.e., Free Edition) or paid them by credit or debit card upfront, the IRS sends your refund directly to your Turbo Card (using Green Dot Bank's routing number and your card's direct deposit account number) just like any other account; your stimulus money should be deposited the same way. (The Turbo Card's "ASAP Direct Deposit" feature, i.e., up to 2 days faster, should work for the stimulus check just like the refund check; same for other accounts offering early direct deposit.) However, if your fees were deducted from your refund, it went thru SBTPG (using Civista Bank's routing number and an SBTPG-generated account number); the handling of your stimulus check is TBA. You can look up the bank associated with your routing number at https://www.frbservices.org/EPaymentsDirectory/search.html .

Finally, the statute authorizes the IRS to send the stimulus money to ANY account of the taxpayer that received a Federal tax refund, benefit payment (SS/SSDI, RRB, SSI, VA, etc.), paycheck, retirement check, or certain vendor payments since January 1, 2018. Though 2017 returns and SSI/VA checks do *not* qualify you for the stimulus check, the IRS can use direct deposit info from those if necessary (as well as 2018 & 2019 returns and SS/SSDI/RRB checks which *do* qualify you). I would hope the IRS (possibly with help from SBTPG & other RT providers) uses the ACH network's "prenote" capability to detect closed accounts before sending money to them, but that remains to be seen.

Davidenock
Returning Member

How can I apply covid-19 tax

If you are talking about the 2020 stimulus check then IF you are required to file a 2018 or 2019 return then do so asap.  If you are not required to file a return because your only income is SS or VA benefits you do NOT need to do anything. 

dbuending

Minnesota has also moved the payment date to July 15,2020.  See announcement in link:

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/press-release/2020-03-23/additional-time-file-and-pay-minnesota-2019...

Please fix payment due date for Minnesota.  Thank you

@dbuending wrote:

Minnesota has also moved the payment date to July 15,2020.  See announcement in link:

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/press-release/2020-03-23/additional-time-file-and-pay-minnesota-2019...

Please fix payment due date for Minnesota.  Thank you

TurboTax is aware of the state changes to filing and payment dates.  They will be updating the software as required.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for state filing date information - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/state-tax-relief-for-covid-19/01/1355275

@cbco7 , I need to file only Federal, no state tax return.
From your response it appears that scanned signature page is acceptable to IRS ? If yes, then my problem is solved. 

@bluedeb , @Opus 17 
Could any other user confirm the same ?

My concern in brief:
Me and my wife are stuck in INDIA due to lock-down, courier services, flights etc are suspended till 4/14.
I want to file my past due return (2016), IRS accepts it only by mail.
I'm considering following two options, could anyone confirm if they are acceptable by IRS ?
1) SCAN, EMAIL, PRINT and MAIL

• Ink sign (me & wife) the signature page of 1040 form,
  • Email high resolution scanned image of signature page + remaining PDF to family in USA
  • Print all pages in USA and
  • MAIL to IRS from USA.

2) DocuSign, EMAIL, PRINT and MAIL

• Use DocuSign service to capture digital signature (me & wife) with datetime stamp 
  • Email DocuSigned signature page + remaining PDF to family in USA
  • Print all pages in USA and
  • MAIL to IRS from USA.

Could anyone help to confirm acceptability of above options please ? 

@cbco7 wrote:

@amit2020, you have until the second week of July (unless you have a state filing that needs to go in on April 15) to figure this out, but here are some ideas: 

If you don't want to or can't efile, but have a scanner and printer, you could scan, print and sign the signature page, re-scan it and then use a free secure service like Dropbox to upload the signed page, plus the 1040 PDF that TurboTax generates, to the Dropbox folder. Share the link with your family in the US and they could download everything and print it. Or, you might print the signature page, sign it, take a photo of the entire signature page and upload it with the TT 1040 PDF and they print/send that along with the TT PDF. (People with Adobe Acrobat could also insert a scanned image of their signature into the signature line of the TT PDF, or possibly use Adobe's verified signature service, have not tried that for something like this.) 

Bruce79

Are there any changes to when Roth IRA contributions must be made? Usually by April 15th - has this been extended?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies